Approximately how many JW have left permanently?

by longgone 22 Replies latest jw friends

• longgone
    longgone

I did try a search before posting this question and found nothing current.

Pew Research -2016 says approximately two thirds of those born into the religion in the United States alone, no longer consider themselves as members. (Sorry, still don't know how to link, but it's an easy Google search.)

I don't know how accurate that is but at least it's an indicator.

When I left around a year ago I actually thought it was a very small number. Of course that was based on yet another lie from the WTS. They frequently claim that most who leave come back. Ha! I know that some do, but hmm, no, far from most. 😒

Does anyone have any information about this?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Yes. There are two here my wife and I that will never go back. If there is over 100,000 congregation and only 2 left permanently that is at lease 200,000. Still Totally ADD

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In principle it's possible to work out a good rough estimate for this.

Choose a starting date such as 1945.

Add the starting number and all baptisms since that date together, minus 1% each year for deaths, and finally subtract the current number of active JWs from that total.

Has anyone done it?

Paul Grundy has done most of the work for this calculation but not the final calculation itself as far as I know.

https://jwfacts.com/watchtower/statistics.php

My guess is the calculation would show there are nearly as many former JWs as there are active JWs.

And I suspecf that former JWs will outnumber active JWs very soon.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think the last time it was mentioned something like a million left in the last 10 years. There was also some one that did the numbers going back to like 1950 and found that there are more exjws then active.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't think there can be more former JWs than active JWs because, that would need to mean the annual increase, plus 1% of active JWs, would be less than half the number baptised each year. But that is not the case for most years.

If JWs start to decline overall however, it could change rapidly, the number of former JWs could quickly outnumber active JWs.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I think those presently leaving are becoming more deffinant in their decision, and are not returning. I would have to admit if it wasn't for the information age and the support I recieve of these various Web sites, I would probably be more inclined to return. I think pre-Internet the likely hood of those returning would of been higher.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LONGGONE:

One here but I'm not a born-in. I suppose I was a temporary sojourner.

I just got tired of talk about "wait on Jehovah" and the end being "right around the corner". I felt they were jerking everybody around. I also got tired of judgmentalism, lack of love, paranoia, gossip, meddling, criticism over dress and full-time job, etc. I felt I had to extricate myself from this. In around 2001, I began my "fade".

JOE134CD:

I think without the Internet certain ex-JWs would return to the religion, even though they would be miserable IMO.

It is a good thing the religion has changed so much because it is not the place it was many years ago when it seemed different and more hopeful. If these people go back they'll realize they can't capture the feel of the old days because they are gone.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I don't have any data to base this on, or hard numbers to show you, but if you think about all the DF'd, DA'd or faded JW's you've personally known or have been related to, and if you assume that this is also the case for the 8 million current in JW's ; that's a whole lot of people whose lives have been adversely effected by having been involved with the Watchtower organization.

If each one of the current 8 million JW's knows or is related to only 3 DF'd, DA'd or Faded individuals, that's 24 million people. When you think how many people over the decades who have come and gone from this religion and how their lives and family lineages were forever altered, it's astonishing.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I have to agree with Pete Z. That probably explains why WT is constantly reminding the rank and file to steer clear of d'fd ones...cause there are one hell of alot of them out there...well into the millions. Add to those millions d'fd ones; those that are in the current slow and fast fade mode. Yah...well into millions...maybe double digit!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Let not forget all the ones that grew up in it but didn't get baptized and then left. My generation of kids in my hall all but three left, some came back but now with the internet less are and will. Also this new generation of kids are more out spoken more independent and more willing to speak out against the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit