Why are anniversaries allowed but not birthdays?

by hyperpen 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

From the founding of the Bible Students they celebrated birthdays. Here is an article on the history of birthdays in the WTS.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/celebrations.php

Birthdays

The following quote from the 1975 Yearbook makes it appear that birthdays stopped being celebrated shortly after Christmas in 1928.

"After that, the brothers at Bethel never celebrated Christmas again. "Did we mind putting those pagan things away?" asks Charles John Brandlein. "Absolutely not. This was just complying with new things learned, and we had never known before they were pagan. It was just like taking a soiled garment off and throwing it away." Next, birthday celebrations and Mother's Day were discarded-more creature worship. Sister Lilian Kammerud recalls: "How readily the brothers all dropped these holidays and admitted they were glad to be free. New truths always make us happy and . . . we felt we were privileged to know things that others were ignorant about.""Yearbook 1975 p.147

God's Kingdom Rules! makes it appear that birthdays were identified as unacceptable in 1936, by quoting from The Golden Age of that year.

""There are but two such celebrations mentioned in the Scriptures, one of the heathen king Pharaoh of Egypt, in the days of Joseph, and the other of [Herod,] whose birthday cost John the Baptist his life. In the Bible there is no instance of celebrations of birthdays by any of God’s people."—The Golden Age, May 6, 1936, page 499." God's Kingdom Rules! (2014) p.105

In reality, birthdays continued being celebrated until 1951. In 1940, the following experience shows birthdays were still considered appropriate.

"Pardon me for intruding on your precious time, but I just can't help letting you know how much I appreciate the phonograph which came to me on the morning after the 8th, which was my 80th birthday. It was indeed a birthday gift from Jehovah, to be used in proclaiming his name. May grace and strength be given me to do with my might what my hands find to do." Watchtower 1940 Jan 1 p.16

In 1951, that the Watchtower stated the Witnesses were no longer to celebrate birthdays.

"Is it proper to have or attend celebrations of birthday anniversaries?-F. K., Nevada.
    Such celebrations have their roots in pagan religions, and not Scriptural grounds. Some Bible commentators suggest that birthday celebrations may have had their origin in the "notion of the immortality of the soul"." Watchtower 1951 Oct 1 p.607 Questions from Readers

There is nothing unscriptural about celebrating birthdays. (See Birthdays for detailed information on why the Watchtower ruling against birthdays is wrong.) Most Witnesses struggle to explain why they can't without some embarrassment at the shallow reasoning used. Romans 14:5-6 advises not to judge others and their celebrations:

"One indeed judges a day above another; and another one judges every day alike, Let each one be fully assured in his own mind. The one minding the day, he minds it to the Lord. And the one not minding the day, he does not mind it to the Lord. The one eating, he eats to the Lord; for he give thanks to God. And the one not eating, he does not eat to the Lord, and gives thanks to God."

Once more we see that so called pagan doctrine and practices promoted in the Watchtower by the Governing Body were not replaced by new light until decades after Jesus is said to have cleansed his people. This is in sharp contrast with Christian times. How many times did the Apostles issue a decision under God's direction through the Bible letters, only to later decide that it was wrong and introduce an almost opposite viewpoint?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

1. Job celebrated birthdays. (job 1:4)

2. Why would the Desert god go out of his way to make all the petty and silly prohibitions in the mosaic law and NOT say, don't celebrate birthdays. Not just the mosaic law, but the whole god damn bible.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

""There are but two such celebrations mentioned in the Scriptures, one of the heathen king Pharaoh of Egypt, in the days of Joseph, and the other of [Herod,] whose birthday cost John the Baptist his life. In the Bible there is no instance of celebrations of birthdays by any of God’s people."—The Golden Age, May 6, 1936, page 499." God's Kingdom Rules! (2014) p.105

WBTS logic:

Birthdays = bad because the Bible shows them in a negative light

Bethel = good even though the Bible shows it in a negative light (1 Kings 13:32; 2 Kings 10:29; 2 Kings 23:19; Jer 48:13; Hosea 10:15; Amos 3:14; Amos 4:4; Amos 5:5,6)

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

"Why are anniversaries allowed but not birthdays?"

I have been trying to get a good answer to that question for a long time.

• Giordano
    Giordano

"Why are anniversaries allowed but not birthdays?"

A marriage is the core standard of this and most every other religion. The JW's need a strong core family unit to survive. An anniversary is a reminder of this and if you will.......... a reminder of the partnership..

Birthdays? Well the best damn explanation was given by OneEyeJoe on page one. Thank you Joe!

Birthdays are a threat to the invisible walls that are built up separating JWs from normal people in two ways that anniversary celebrations aren't. The first, and probably most important, is that children have birthdays - their growth depends in large part on turning JW children into adult members so it's important that they keep the children segregated from normal people in order to properly indoctrinate the phobias of the outside and prevent them from developing a support system outside the cult that they could potentially turn to when they have doubts. Second, birthdays are often recognized by normal people at work or in school, etc. Anniversaries are typically ignored unless you're close friends with someone. Again, it's about separating JWs from normal society.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Simple. Have you ever read about someone being beheaded on their anniversary? I rest my case.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Simple. Have you ever read about someone being beheaded on their anniversary? I rest my case.

Heh... This reasoning from WT is ridiculous. In the first account, the chief baker and cupbearer were IN PRISON with Joseph because they "sinned against their lord, the king of Egypt." (Gen 40:1). On Pharaoh's birthday, the cupbearer resumed his duties and the baker was killed. Why? Apparently, Pharaoh carried out capital punishment. The baker did SOMETHING to warrant being put to death. Maybe during their time in prison, it was discovered that the cupbearer was not at fault, so was exhonerated, while the baker had to bear the punishment of death.

In the case of John the Baptist, Herod's birthday was simply "a convenient day" for his wife to carry out her nefarious plans. (Mark 6:21)

Interestingly in the case of Pharaoh's birthday, both the baker and the cupbearer had dreams three days prior that Joseph interpreted accurately. Where did those dreams come from? Where did the interpretation come from? Did God care that it was Pharaoh's birthday, or did God use that fact to attempt to assist Joseph?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

In order to be unique and set them apart from all other religions..Some religions don't

eat pork, drink coffee,pray five times a day,more than one wife so they had to come up with something

to show the world Jehovah picked them....They are selling a product, called religion.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

Sneaking around for 10 years and doing the nasty with the seven headed beast of Revelation is OK.

Birthdays and swimming at the Y and its eternal damnation.

What part dont you understand?

• hyperpen
    hyperpen

Great response OneEyedJoe...I sure stood out like a sore thumb in elementary school when I had to sit in the corner while everyone else celebrated a classmate's birthday. The worst was when my kindergarten teacher tried to celebrate my birthday at the end of the school-year and nearly forced me to eat a cupcake she had made for the occasion. I refused to eat it and the story spread around the Kingdom Hall like wildfire. I was a hero! I never get excited about my own birthday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit