The Jehovah’s Witness bagged themselves a Big One when they got Professor Raj Kalaria, to speak about his belief

by Watchtower-Free 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Assertions without evidence are just that, assertions. Despite his high academic ranking all this professor is providing, in this instance, are various logical fallacies, not least of which is the personal incredulity fallacy. And all the watchtower are doing is their usual argument from authority fallacy.

I notice neither party says anything that can be remotely tested (i.e. have the evidence flung in their faces) and instead relies on science-like phrases that will impress those without the understanding to know better...

• talesin
    talesin

I would like to see Cedars' original correspondence to 'Helen". Who knows what he wrote? This is merely Cedars' story, unverified.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I think he's lucky to get anything at all. Unless the reputation of the University was at risk or there was some aspect of gross misconduct then why the hell would the media department feel the need to issue a statement criticising a member of the faculty, especially someone unknown to them without even the backup of representing a recognised media organisation.
  • WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

konceptual99 - The reason is that as centres of learning universities like this have a responsibility to uphold the values of such organisations. Creationists are the antithesis of scientists so when a professor such as this comes out in support of such silly ideas the university should distance themselves from those anti-science and anti-education worldviews. As it is the university has,, in essence, said the views of this person are valid; that is not something a centre of learning should be saying...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I agree with the principle of what you are saying WSICMS, I just don't think the University was prepared for any fallout from his interview, perhaps had little knowledge of it and didn't know Cedars from Adam. If it was one or more large media organisations on the phone repeatedly and/or if there was some more publicity amongst the public at large, plus if it was being portrayed as the position of the University then perhaps there might be a more robust statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit