NO OVERTIME PAY?!

by Shakita 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

President Bush will not like the response he gets from the angry 8 million plus workers out there who will be receiving no overtime pay because of his twisted sense of economics. Look, I am no economics professor, but how smart do you have to be to realize that if you take away $$$ from families struggling to make ends meet....that they will stop buying the unessentials and going on vacations, etc.... in a nutshell, helping to boost the country out of the worst unemployment in ten years!

How government can reach their sticky hands into our pockets and get away with this is absolutely criminal! My husband is working overtime at this very moment.....if Bush gets his way...my husband will still be required to work that overtime his company mandates but not be paid an extra penny for his efforts....and while his corporation gets richer, the poor employee slides farther down on the economic ladder....sounds like great politics to me!

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/senateOTrider .... here is a link to tell your senator what you think of big brother dipping his hands into your pockets once more.....the next vote is in August, if you feel as I do, please make your voice heard even if you are not included in that 8 million who will be screwed. I don't know if this will make a difference, but it is hard to sit back and do nothing when you feel you are being robbed.

Mrs. Shakita

• happyout
    happyout

I'm with you 100%!!

Happyout

• ballistic
    ballistic

Over in England, if you are well paid, say, in management, you generally expected not to claim over time, you do whatever is required to fill your responsibilities under contract. Workers on minimum wage however would tell them to get stuffed.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

This pissed me off, too. Scumbags. They'll do anything to hurt the little guy, although their explanation is so that people won't be overworked....bullshit! They'll just work them harder during the time they are there, and if by some chance they are stuck at work late, they're screwed.

YAY BUSH!

• Shakita
    Shakita

I emailed my senator and state representative with the link I provided.

This was my reply:

July 31, 2003

Ms. XXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Ms. XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for e-mailing me with your comments and
    concerns.

As you may know, since the September 11th terrorist
    attacks, as well as the October 2001 anthrax mailings, more and
    more Americans are communicating to their elected officials
    electronically. In fact, e-mail communications to Congress have
    increased significantly in recent years as people realize how
    convenient it is.

I will review your inquiry, and comprehensively research
    the concerns you have shared. As further correspondence is
    warranted, I will contact you via US Postal Mail. In the meantime,
    if you believe immediate assistance is needed, please feel free to
    contact one of my constituent service centers below:

Burlington/Mercer Counties:
    (609) 585-7878
    TTY (609) 585-3650

Monmouth/Ocean Counties:
    (732) 350-2300

Washington, DC
    (202) 225-3765

If you would like to return to the Fourth Congressional
    District homepage, please go to http://www.house.gov/chrissmith.

Sincerely,

CHRISTOPHER H. SMITH
    Member of Congress

Well, at least I got a reply...........I really don't expect my spit in the ocean to make a difference, but it makes me feel better than sitting back and doing nothing. (couldn't choose which smilie I liked best)

Mrs. Shakita

• badwillie
    badwillie

Don't worry .. we're about to have our own "regime change". Bush is going back to the Crawford ranch in 2004.

www.deanforamerica.com

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Don't worry .. we're about to have our own "regime change". Bush is going back to the Crawford ranch in 2004.

We can only hope.

ash

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

From the official Department of Labor website:

U.S. Department of Labor

Proposal to Strengthen Overtime Protection
    Summary of Proposed Changes
    Minimum Salary Level Increased: Under current rules, an employee earning only $155 a week can qualify as a “white collar” employee not entitled to overtime pay. The Department’s proposal would raise this minimum salary to $425 a week—an increase of $270 a week and the largest increase since the Fair Labor Standards Act was passed by Congress in 1938. The proposed changes would guarantee overtime to:

An employee working 50 hours per week managing a restaurant for $15,600 per year.
    A worker putting in 60 hours a week managing a department store for $18,000 per year.
    An employee working 42 hours a week supervising a machine shop for $17,000 per year.
    Duties Tests Rely on “Primary Duty”: The proposed rule retains the current “short test” reliance on an employee’s primary duty. The proposal would eliminate the long-inactive “long test” rule restricting exempt employees from devoting more than 20% of time in a workweek performing non-exempt duties.

Executive Duties: The proposed executive duties test has three requirements: managing the enterprise; directing the work of two or more employees; and having authority to hire or fire (or such recommendations are given particular weight).
    Administrative Duties: The proposal would replace the “discretion and independent judgment” test, which has been the subject of confusion and litigation, with a new test that employees must hold a “position of responsibility.”
    Professional Duties: The proposal recognizes as exempt “learned professionals” certain employees who gain equivalent knowledge and skills through a combination of job experience, military training, attending a technical school or attending community college.
    Employees Treated More Equitably: The Department proposes to allow deductions from the salary of exempt employees for full-day absences taken for disciplinary reasons, such as sexual harassment or workplace violence. Currently, only hourly workers’ wages are subject to such deductions. The proposal retains the “salary basis” rule prohibiting deductions from exempt salary for partial-day absences.

Impact of Proposed Changes
    1.3 Million Additional Low-Wage Workers Gain Overtime Protections: Increasing the minimum salary level will automatically guarantee overtime to 1.3 million additional low-wage workers.

Overtime Protections Strengthened for Additional 10.7 Million Hourly Workers: Updating the duties tests will make entitlement to overtime more certain for 10.7 million workers.

Enhance Economic Growth: Reducing regulatory red tape and litigation costs will free up resources and stimulate economic growth.

Rules Easier to Apply and Enforce: Bringing the rules into the 21st century and clarifying the outdated regulatory language will help employees understand their rights and ensure they receive their hard-earned pay. Employers will be better able to understand their obligations and comply with the law. The Labor Department will be equipped to more vigorously enforce the law.

This proposed change is good for people on the low end of the pay scale who are being exploited by their employers without compensation, but it absolutely sucks for technical employees.

• Francois
    Francois

Badwillie, don't be so sure. I would have bet my left eye that Clinton was finished after his first term and unelectable for a seconed. It hadn't happened to a Democrat incumbent since FDR after all. Imagine my shock the next morning when we still had that dope smoking, skirt chasing, draft dodging Marxist as president.

Right now my biggest fear is that damned Hillary is going to run for prexy and get in. Now that would be a national disaster of biblical proportions, certainly worse than a plague of locusts.

Will we never see the end of these political meddlers, the two Clintons and Gore?

If Hillary get in, you can bend over and grab your ankles, buddy, cause your ass will belong to the gummint. (And don't forget to take it like a man. Stiff upper lip and all that, what?)

francois

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I heard about this. This almost made my blood boil. He's such a good friend to those corporate greedy fatcats.

www.ihopebushlosesin04.com

(fake link - i am just hoping)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit