Aspeger's syndrome, ASD and Autism - How do you know if you have it?

by KateWild 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks Lisa for your post. Very interesting, I have active Apsergers, I am extrovert to the extreme and say a do socially unacceptable things that embarrass others. The spectrum can also be about extremes to one end or the other and not understanding social cues.

Kate xx

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oxytocin, the " cuddle chemical", boy do I get an excess of that stuff when I give birth! Love it! I was told by a psychologist that I " over identify" with suffering, too much empathy - actually its disabling as I feel pain - literally - and can black out when I hear someone scream in distress. I guess this is all about being social animals. Is autism connected with our intellectual abilities more??

However, folk with autism I know definitely are empathetic - blunt speaking sometimes, yes and like to do things in a certain order - but I find them very sensitive to others ONCE they understand what the other person requires/ feels etc, it seems to be that initial UNPACKING of the situation/ needs/ social requirements that can be problematic. Am I on the right track??

I am a great believer in evolutionary psychology, autism spectrum and associated issues seem to me to be what has enabled humanity to progress - its the key to how we began to " think different".... Its not for nothing that its associated with high IQ and other schizo typal behaviours with high levels of creativity...

My tupence worth!

Thank you Kate, would love to hear morexperiences/ info

• talesin
    talesin
    not understanding social cues

Yup - it's also an indication of an extremely brilliant mind, Most people with Asperger's Syndrome are very intelligent, and the social aspect is the 'killer', in that it prevents interaction with others from being smooth. We have large expectations of folks in a social setting, and someone who has no filter (which is an Asperger's trait) is generally found to be 'lacking in social graces'.

It's a hard row to hoe, Kate (and others). We all want to belong somewhere, and hell, I've had my difficulties in that. Our history plays such a large part in the development of our social interactions with others, and when you add Asperger's to the mix of being an exJW, it has to be tough. xx tal

• Terry
    Terry

Think of it like the weather.

A large city might have a forecast of RAIN but 70% of the territory doesn't get any precipitation.

The FORECAST is like a DIAGNOSIS.

Humans are complex organisms. It is possible to experience "weather" of the mind. Some days, some situations are filled with varying kinds of "weather."

Our well-being is part of a factory in the brain (and body) manufacturing chemicals and a nervous system transmitting electrical signals.
    It really doesn't take much to throw that into a nightmare scenario.

We are fragile.

We are really all quite susceptible to many malfunctions.

I've struggled with what used to be called Aspergers all my life, NOT knowing what was wrong with me until the same things began happening to my small son. I looked at the questionnaire the physician and therapists gave Nicholas, and I started seeing MY situation reflected there! What a huge relief!

Having Autism Spectrum disorder is a Grayscale.

If you are compulsive about issues of control and you're fascinated by numbers AND you work as a CPA, your "disorders" perfectly match your job and you'll do well.

If not--the same manifestations will work against you.

LIFE IS ABOUT ADAPTING TO ENVIRONMENTS WHICH CHANGE.

Asperger's is a kind of DESCRIPTION of SYMPTOMS.

The parts we worry over are the parts described as DISORDERS.

IF YOU CAN'T ADAPT to your surroundings and you exhibit SYMPTOMS which single you out with behaviors

working against you--you have "suffered."

What is the difference between FUNCTIONING and NON-functioning Asperger's people?

What's the difference between a flashlight with fresh batteries and one with weak batteries?

You understand?

The neural pathways and chemistry of your brain are physical realities.

We are not all born with fully functioning flashlight batteries, but with ones which may not fully charge.

Some people can learn to work around these problems with proper balances of medication over a period of time. it requires adjustments, patience, and a vigilant physician.

It took my son, Nicholas, almost 21 years to find exactly the right balance of medication. When it finally happened, it was a miraculous transformation from a sullen, petulant, control-freak with no sense of humor into a lovely, gregarious human being with laughter and compassion.

What went wrong and what went right?

Batteries in the flashlight.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Terry, I'm happy to hear it worked out well for your son. A question though, if I may? Are people displaying symptoms of Aspergers Syndrome defective or is the society that wants everyone to exhibit a certain behavior at fault? I think in more tolerant societies it would not be a problem (maybe it would, I don't know). Modern, western societies seem to expect everyone to conform to a limited range of behaviors. If you don' fit in that range, medication is required.

I seem to recall seeing a recent 'news' item that the US wanted everyone to be tested for depression (started out as just test for expectant/recent mothers). Just imagine where that could go.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Interesting point Fade to black. I don't have Aspergers, but I do have ADHD. I don't consider it a completely negative thing, it can make some things more difficult, but it also gives me some unique perspectives. At my age (61) I have learned how to control the more negative aspects of it and use my different brain in ways others can not. I have set up my life in such a way that it's rarely a problem, although I do have to work at it. I have learned coping mechanisms, I meditate and exercise, which helps my jumpy brain slow down a bit.

I would say that if you are happy and your condition is not hurting anyone else, then don't worry about it. Some of us are just square pegs and we will never force ourselves into that round hole no matter what we do, so why try? Go with your strengths and don't worry about the expectations of others.

But there are some with this condition who don't function well at all, and I hope science does come up with some answers for them.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    For instance, someone with Asperger syndrome might initiate conversations with others by extensively relating facts related to a particular topic of interest. He or she may resist discussing anything else and have difficulty allowing others to speak. Often, they don’t notice that others are no longer listening or are uncomfortable with the topic. They may lack the ability to “see things” from the other person’s perspective.

Of those individuals with Autism/Aspergers the above is a rather fair description of the indications. At least of those I've met. Personally don't believe folks in this category need healing or curing per se. Compassion and understanding are in order along with a celebration of their special talents that are often present.

reference: https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I work with people who have Aspergers every day. I know it is classed as a disorder but I just look at it as a way of being. We often think about the "normal" person, does that really exist? Everyone has personality ticks and foibles that make them either interesting, annoying or odd to other people.

I have found my relationships with people with this label very rewarding. I knew little about the condition when I started my current job but find that if I treat people as people rather than a walking set of symptoms I get on well with them. In many cases people display a real brilliance in their chosen field but may find human interaction quite difficult.

I think the main common denominator in Aspergers is a difficulty in reading other people by their facial expressions or nuances of conversational tone that others, the neuro-typical pick up easily. Things have to be clearly stated to them or can easily be misunderstood. Some "sufferers" can learn these skills by application, others have to live in this slightly confusing world all their lives. The positive side is that another feature is the ability to study a subject intensely to the point of obsession. This makes many "sufferers" into high achievers. Many that i know would not have it any other way.

• Terry
    Terry

A question though, if I may? Are people displaying symptoms of Aspergers Syndrome defective or is the society that wants everyone to exhibit a certain behavior at fault? I think in more tolerant societies it would not be a problem (maybe it would, I don't know). Modern, western societies seem to expect everyone to conform to a limited range of behaviors. If you don' fit in that range, medication is required.

If the numerical majority are blind--the one-eyed man (who might, in a two-eyed society be considered handicapped) would be King!
    Meaning what?
    Meaning context determines who is and is not viewed by others a certain way, plus (+) or (-) minus.

There is no absolute.
    There is a consensus.

America is evenly divided into CONSERVATIVE and LIBERAL. Half hold strong views and beliefs the other half finds repugnant. (Finger-pointing, mockery, and political machinations bring to light this polarization.)
    Getting a Republican to "tolerate" a Liberal or the other way round, is laughable.

Political elections are not a search for the correct or best person to take power. It is a flat out mechanism for determining present consensus of raw number majority.

Why did I mention that? Read on!

"Normal" is a construct by a consensus. The "odd" ones can be genius or sociopath or both simultaneously.

How is being TOLERANT going to handle those manifestations?

Every person is unique--just like everybody else :)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It's quite interesting that HSPs, highly sensitive people (see Elaine Aron's site) are opposite to ASD people who struggle with interpreting facial expressions and nuances of conversation. We pick up so much so quickly that the amount of information coming into our brains is often overwhelming.

Interesting, so many different types of people. Incidentally HSP doesn't mean someone who takes offence easily it's referring to a kind of sensory sensitivity different to those with ASD. I found it amusing when all the body language stuff came out. I thought doesn't everyone know this, can't everyone tell when someone's lying. We know too much about people!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit