Aspeger's syndrome, ASD and Autism - How do you know if you have it?

by KateWild 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• KateWild
    KateWild

On another thread I was asked by FadetoBlack about my ASD. Sorry FTB I didn't respond, but here is your post again and I will respond on this new thread.

I'm curious to know how you know you were born with Asperger's Syndrome. It seems to be extremely hard to clinically diagnose, but popular to self-diagnose. Seem's to be the rage for the past several years.
    To be honest, from what I have read, I appear to be on the same spectrum. Not even sure if it is 'bad' just different. -FTB

I was diagnosed at age 36 I am 42 now and was told by professionals I was born with it. It is very hard to diagnose and there sometimes are traits but a full diagnosis is not given, it depends on the professional. You may very well have it and it's good to know if you really want to work on your difficulties and focus on your special abilities.

I don't know how the health system works in Poland today, but when my mother was young other illnesses were the priority. I know she has it too, but in the same vein a lot of Eastern Europeans are more passionate than the reserved British individual, so she may stand out as different because of her culture.

I have felt a sense of relief being diagnosed. So if you think you have it pursue diagnosis and get second opinions you might get support and help that will benefit you and your family members.

Thanks for asking

Kate xx

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    Aspergers Syndrome is not that hard for the proper Doctor to diagnose. It does have many forms and someone can be very high functioning and extremely intelligent. One of the signs is inability to function in a group setting. They would be able to do the same task with one other person but if there were say 4 people around they would shut down and not be able to function. Young boys will tend to get labeled "trouble makers" because they cannot express their frustration that they are uncomfortable with so many people as round them. When they are removed into a smaller group where they are free to express themselves then the true person will shine.
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks rebelfighter for your post. I also think that as it's a spectrum disorder some things are more challenging than others depending on the individual and sometimes it changes with circumstances. So sometimes it can be hard for a professional to always catch and might be overlooking the problems with diagnosis.

Kate xx

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

As rebelfighter mentioned, the ability to function in group settings first caught my attention. I don't think it would get as much attention as a disorder here in Poland. That is one thing I like about being here - you don't have to be an outgoing, extrovert walking around with a big sh*t-eating grin on your face all the time (as expected in the USA). In fact people from here are often amazed at this behavior when visiting the US (prozac nation) and would view you suspiciously if you displayed 'always-on' behavior.

I'm actually fairly comfortable in my own skin so I guess I'll just stick with what I have. It doesn't seem to be a big issue. My dogs accept me as I am. I found it interesting to read about some of the various symptoms.

• KateWild
    KateWild

FTB,

I think that's what matters most if your comfortable, and you are.

Kate xx

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

My experience with Aspergers comes from being a Mom. My son by the time he was in first grade spoke and wrote in three languages and told the teacher to give him some real work to do. That went over real big. By the time he was in 5th grade (note he had no clue what it was) he was doing calculas in his head. Now could he get along with the kids in the classroom NOPE. On a one to one basis could he carry on a conversation at the age of say 13 or 14 with say an attorney and the attorney stand there going and WHAT IS HIS AGE?!?!

At one point I identified a child at the school bus stop. I watched this child for a week, then for several days with the mother's permission I spoke to him several times. I questioned mom as to what type of testing the school has done which is a requirement in the US if requested by the parent. She stated they said he is just a behavior problem. I told her, tomorrow you be dressed ready to go to school once the bus pulls out here. We went to the school. When the principal saw me with her they instantly agreed to testing her son. Six weeks later a diagnosis of sever Aspergers.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    I will add one thing Behavior problems in school is a sign that something is wrong somewhere. It is either a learning disability, emotional problem or could be sever family issues AND the school should be addressing these issues.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Don't really know what to say to the OP but see more than one doctor about it.

Get second and third opinions. Doctors are extremely well qualified but they can make the odd misdiagnosis.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

My daughter is a qualified assessor ror aspergers and it is not something a doctor can certify, a statement of needs is made by an assessor and can lead to educational support, employment support or general support.

From what I have seen an assesment takes at least a day initially.

In UK special educational needs statement (SEN ) can follow an assessment of aspergers with obligations on a local education authority to supply. It does seem that more and more are being diagnoses, maybe as a result of more understanding but maybe more people born with this situation as a result of some environmental problem. On the autistic spectrum Are wide variations of consequences.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I've always been curious about Autism spectrum disorders, I wonder what could have happened to children to have something affect them in such a profound way, and how parents cope with it, how some children are able to get better, while others not so much. I was painfully shy and socially awkward as a child (truthfully, I still am to a certain extent) so I can emphasize with those who are on the spectrum. I read the book The Mysterious Case of The Dog in the Night, which is a mystery involving a boy with autism and his father. Although it is fiction, it really helped me understand how someone with Autism thinks.

I worked with someone who I realized after the fact probably suffered from the disorder. A brilliant man, he helped me a lot when I first started working with him as he had a lot more experience and training in programming, which was a part of our job. Then he became offended when I didn't take take his instructions the way he thought I should and began shunning me, it was very difficult in a small group of five people. Then he started playing practical jokes on our senior manager and didn't want to stop, even when she specifically said it was not appreciated anymore. I wish I had realized it at the time, I think I could have handled the situation much better. We did eventually work things out, but he was laid off, he had done the same thing to others, so he was one of the first to get axed when the company failed. I really felt bad for him as he had a family to support.

There was an interesting article in the Washington post this morning on some research currently being done. They are using prairie voles, as they form strong family bonds much like humans. When they blocked oxytocin receptors in the brain, the voles did not respond and give comfort to other voles who had been given an electric shock, as they normally would have.

The researchers said that breaking down the role of oxytocin in empathy may help us better understand and treat psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia, as well as developmental disabilities, such as autism spectrum disorder, that appear to be related to a disruption of a person's ability to detect and respond to the emotions of others. The researchers suggested that this indicates that oxytocin may improve social engagement in autism

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit