Do you feel comfortable being an apostate?

by Chook 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chook
    Chook

I always found it uncomfortable to informal witness to people but trying to convince a Jw to jump ship brings much more pleasure.

• Tallon
    Tallon

I am a lot more comfortable now that I no longer associate with the org. I have never went out of my way to convince those still in to leave, however should the situation arise, I will endeavour to plant seeds to hopefully give the person pause for thought.

• fulano
    fulano

As long as you think in terms of appostate, you accept the authorities of the cult.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There's such a thing as using a term ironically, however.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

apostate is just a word used by the watchtower--its how the dub club may view you. means nothing in the real world.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, I feel comfortable being what I am.

Intellectual honesty brought me to where I am at in my life.

If WT really did have 'the truth' and no child abuse problems, I'd probably still be an active JW ...

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

It's hard for me because I'm only a fader and not disfellowshipped, so I don't get to flex my apostate muscle as much as I'd like because I'm always looking over my shoulder.

Sh*t got real when I discovered the apartment next to me got snapped up by a sister from another congregation who knows me well. Just not well enough to know I'm OUT of the cult. It's going to be so difficult hiding my identity and trying to avoid judicial action, especially since she's asked me to drive her to meetings/witnessing and show her my local congregation. I mean, we're sharing a wall, for crissakes. I can't even be an apostate in the privacy of my own home.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In this situation I sometimes I think it might be an idea just to say you've changed your beliefs and act like it is a totally normal thing. Because it is a normal thing, to most normal people, and not the occasion for ostracism, name calling and abuse. If JWs want to act crazy, give them a calm backdrop of normality against which to act it out.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

're comments from Slimboyfat I so agree about the normal thing. This is the best way to challenge the false idea that once you leave your life deteriorates and that professor need JH. By continuing to be the same or better especially if life goes well for you you help create cognitive dissonance in them. I do feel there is pressure once out to be extra helpful kind and non judgmental that's never gone in almost 30 yrs out.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I am not comfortable with the term apostate because I am not opposed to God. I question everything I have believed and been taught to believe and knowing the things I know now make me feel like the term better suits the organization.

I am fading and am not able to openly share my thoughts and feelings while being badgered by relatives to return to the meetings and being counseled on letting the actions of others stumble me.

I wish I could just blurt out what I really think but I do not want to hurt my family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit