Sports Games Postponed Because of Police Shootings

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What’s your opinion of sports teams postponing games either to recognize or protest a social issue cause??

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

''What’s your opinion of sports teams postponing games either to recognize or protest a social issue cause?''

There was a sporting boycott of South Africa during the apartheid era.

And a boycott of the Moscow Olympics 1980 after the Soviet/Afghan war by many nations

and a retaliatory one of the 1984 LA Olympics by mainly Eastern bloc nations.

It does seem to happen.

One part of me thinks that sports occasions should rise above political differences but I can also see why some would not want to carry on as if nothing had happened.

• minimus
    minimus

The result of this might be that people will tire of organized sports and just lose interest. Eventually the financial bottom line may hit the owners and the players. These guys are getting paid tons of money while they boycott.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Ive lost interest in pro sports for one reason or another, but still like to watch Golf or california volleyball.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

I see where they are coming from but postponing a game seems a bit nonsensical and non effective toward the cause.

I set aside some time to watch the local NHL playoff game and now I find out its been canceled.

.......sheesh

• minimus
    minimus

It’s ridiculous! Play ball! Play your heart out for your cause if need be but now every time someone gets shot or killed who happens to be black, it’s a racial thing? As Rudy Gulliani recently said about Doc Rivers’ comments on how blacks love the country but the country doesn’t love them, I’m paraphrasing, we have to stop this glorification of racial issues in the way some are doing it. Stopping a basketball game is going to do nothing for their cause, in reality.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

Stopping a basketball game is going to do nothing for their cause, in reality.

Couldn't agree more MIn.

A cop in the US ......" Dam they postponed the game I was going to watch tonight, well I guess I better not shoot at any civilians while I'm on duty for a while "

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't get it. I really don't get it.

In the pre-game thing if you want to take a knee during the national anthem, break wind, moon the flag, break dance, whatever. I really don't care.

Just play the games.

• Giordano
    Giordano

RubaDub........ just play the games? How about you playing the game and having a player breath in your face?

Games, at this time mean you are going to clash with opponents in and around close pursuit blocking and tackling and fighting..........you are going to breath what they are expelling. Not good in this particular pandemic.

People, family are everything........ sports is nothing, you can't work with or for a sport.......... you can only watch. If that's your only skill set then shut the hell up and let the people involved decide if they will or can play.

Why the hell did the big ten cancel their games? Because the lives of their teams mean sitting out the year is the really safest response.

Pro players are rethinking about dying or living to play next year.

Lets face it these skilled human beings are worth more to us then just entertainment.

On the other point of view taking a knee is a way to politely show both respect for people killed without real cause and raising awareness of people who died before their time.

• minimus
    minimus

Gio, as usual you miss the point. We are not talking about getting Covid here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit