Puerto Rico Special Convention 2016 Video

by darkspilver 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It's nice that they finally bringing a bit of fun, music and color into the religion but who were they welcoming and why all the fanfare at this particular convention?

This is a far cry from the bland somber and dull affairs that the overly religious old white men in Brooklyn had going on back when I was "in". We were always told to be serious minded and to show dignity in our worship and above all else, never draw undue attention to ourselves. They would have used scriptures to show that instead of spending the time and money on putting together matching costumes and rehearsing dance steps, it would be better to spend it in the ministry since the end is so close and lives are at stake. Then again, people from other countries were all ways sort of regarded a cute and ethnic and were able to get away with having a bit more flair that we were allowed to have.

Did you notice in the one dance routine, the women who were wearing the white dresses were lifting the front of them up as they faced the men. Harmless I'm sure but this would have been far too suggestive and immodest back in the day.

It's great for the current JW's that things are changing and their human spirit and liveliness hasn't been vanquished altogether but what about all the bible base reasonings they once used on us to make us feel shame for wanting to express ourselves...did the Bible change in the last 8 years since I was a JW or did they spoil my youth for no reason ?

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

What's with the logo for the convention? Isn't that an image of a guard turret at La Forteleza? So music with pagan roots and images of a colonial fort and prison are okay now?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Wow just wow. At the International convention they held in this country they had a dance done by the indigenous people in the stadium. I remember coming away from that convention feeling uneasy about what I had seen as I know a lot of it was rooted in ancestor worship and spirits.

• scoobydont
    scoobydont

@ Scratchme 1010 "I cannot fathom me growing up a JW in Puerto Rico seeing something like that, ever! I remember some elders going on and on and on about the Puerto Rican Bomba and Plena music having roots in African worshiping of deities and therefore being Satan's music."

Get with the programme, mate. The light just got brighter in JW land ! "Jehovah is a happy God and he wants his people to be happy too". Got a problem with that ? LMAO !!! The things people are willing to believe once they have handed over their intelligence and critical thinking to the JW Organisation !

I'm with you on this, mate, I think the organisation is now desperately "papering over cracks".

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So if it now OK to use a blatantly worldly / pagan song as long as the words are changed, then how about these options?

"We wish you a merry convention"

"Dude looks like a pioneer"

"My lovely lady pioneer shoes"

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

"Anthony the red nosed GB Member"

"JW bells, JW bells, JW bells all the way!"

"Holy Family Worship Night, Silent Family Worship Night"

"Skinny Jeans... no no no"

"You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why: Armageddon's coming to town"

xD

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

@ Scratchme 1010 "I cannot fathom me growing up a JW in Puerto Rico seeing something like that, ever! I remember some elders going on and on and on about the Puerto Rican Bomba and Plena music having roots in African worshiping of deities and therefore being Satan's music."

Get with the programme, mate. The light just got brighter in JW land ! "Jehovah is a happy God and he wants his people to be happy too". Got a problem with that ? LMAO !!! The things people are willing to believe once they have handed over their intelligence and critical thinking to the JW Organisation !

I'm with you on this, mate, I think the organisation is now desperately "papering over cracks".

LOL! Actually, I definitely got "with that programme". After leaving I cannot count the amount of Plena and Bomba festivals I've been to .

I wonder if they danced "la pelua".

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The Special Assembly Committee Coordinator Jorge Alanis for the Jehovah's Witnesess shares his experience of bringing the JW International Convention to Puerto Rico in September 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0bL2Rpcg2Y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit