Has Your JW Background Benefited You In Any Way?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I would like to think there was some good that resulted from our being a Witness at one time.

• minimus
    minimus

I like to think I’m more aware of reality vs. having our heads in the clouds. I’ve learned not to accept something just because a group of people say it’s what you are supposed to think.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Allowed me to develop public speaking skills that I likely wouldn't have developed if I was forced to at a young age.

Allowed me to realize that there is no true religion. I was already convinced that every other religion was false and beyond redemption. So when I applied their lens to my own religion, I saw they were no different!

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

No, other than what I've chosen to do with it to help other people.

Most anything else I could conceivably attribute to it in a positive way exists without it. So I may have come across that anyway without them. Like public speaking, for example. Yes they gave me opportunity, but plenty of people outside the cult do well at it and plenty of people inside the cult do it regularly and suck at it.

• zeb
    zeb

No.

• fulano
    fulano

Yes, 100% fluent Spanish. Hell of a salesman (some say), with no scruples.

• blownaway
    blownaway

Yes, It has made me very skeptical. I trust very few people.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Doubting Bro:

Allowed me to realize that there is no true religion. I was already convinced that every other religion was false and beyond redemption. So when I applied their lens to my own religion, I saw they were no different!

Exactly, agree with every word. That's a two edged sword the WTS has to accept. If they want to teach us to think critically of and rip apart other Faith's, is it any wonder that eventually some of us will stop and do the same to our own belief system? Once you see something it can't be unseen.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

For any supposed "benefit" it may have provided me, I can think of many "negatives" it also caused me!

We will NEVER get back our younger years and opportunities....and for that I am angry.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

It has enabled to catch on to people when they think they're gonna fool you with their BS and lies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit