Was Paul A false Prophet?

by saorean 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• johnamos
    johnamos
    I ask the question on the title because there a quite a number of statements the Apostle Paul made about the coming of Jesus and resurrection of the holy ones that never fulfilled.
    of course it has not fulfilled yet, because Jesus has not returned.
    Evidently this "sacred secret" failed. They all died. And more than 2000 years ahead, here we are.

So on one hand you are claiming that something that Paul stated was not fulfilled but then on the other you are acknowledging that what Paul stated to be fulfilled is yet future.

So if your issue is not that it hasn't been fulfilled yet but rather that it had not been fulfilled in the time frame that you feel Paul had in mind...then what you have to keep in mind is that the 'sacred secret' that Paul was speaking about was about the resurrection of the holy ones occurring at the coming of Jesus at last trumpet.

The 'sacred secret' did not include knowledge of the timing of Jesus' coming. The mere fact that Paul spoke as if that was to occur in his time by the fact the he said 'we the living" is consistent with what was the mindset for ALL first century Christians and ALL since then down to our day (1,986 years later) and that is that no one knows the day and hour but are to keep in expectation/keep the watch, prove themselves ready, etc...has if Jesus' arrival is coming during your own lifetime.

• saorean
    saorean

JohnAmos : your comment makes sense.

The truth though is that the specificity with which he spoke leads one to question if his sentiments were opinions or inspired prophecies.

Evidently the first century Christians had unfulfilled hopes. Because, according to the bible, they are all in their graves since Jesus has not returned. Yet Paul, Peter, James and the Apostle Paul proclaimed that their salvation was closer than when they became believers. They felt Christ return was just around the corner. Yet over 2000 years later with their flesh turned to dust, those hopes are still not fulfilled.

So I ask when they made such statements expressing strong hopes in their ascension to heaven, where they opinions or inspired words?

If they are the latter, then there's a problem. Because the inspired words failed. There's no reason to believe that what was stated would happen in their lifetime that failed will automatically happen in ours. That just wouldn't make any sense.

If their hopes were opinions, it then looses credibility.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

The 1988 novel "the Mission", author Patrick Tilley, had a plot based on the idea that Paul was actually Satan come to Earth to undo the the work of Jesus. It's set in the modern day and starts off with the discovery of a body in New York City. Only the body has a wound in it's side and also to the hands and feet plus the blood tests can't be explained...

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

saorean

"Evidently the first century Christians had unfulfilled hopes..."

cheesus grice--i thought i was reading a watchtower then....

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

2 Cor 12:2-5 comes to mind.

This is where Paul boasts about a man who received a supernatural vision about the third heaven and paradise. Since Paul was not given the vision then everything he says and writes is suspect to be personal opinion?

I looked up "third heaven" in the Insight book and the WT outright says the vision in this bible verse was given to Paul. Even though Paul states the vision was given to another man they outright twist the scripture and say the other man must have been Paul. They want Paul to be inspired but he was not.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    So I ask when they made such statements expressing strong hopes in their ascension to heaven, where they opinions or inspired words?

I would say that it is both, opinion and inspired. Don't be confused between what Jesus/angels/holy spirit directly taught them with being inspired of what to record in their writings of which now is the Bible books we have.

Along with what they were inspired to write of prophecy that was/is to be fulfilled, they were also inspired to write down their interactions, expectations, etc.. negative or not.

As I said, surely all first century Christians were under the impression that Jesus would return in their lifetime as all have been the past 2,000 1,986 years later. So while Paul may have been divinely taught about a prophecy, or what have you, and was inspired to write it down, it does not mean that all he was inspired to write down was divinely taught.

I know I am doing a poor job of explaining what I am trying to say. But take for instance Daniel, he was divinely taught (shown/told) things and he said that he heard but did not understand. Likewise, he wrote when he felt frighten, or weak, etc. So he was inspired to write these kinds of details but it does not mean it is all divinely given information.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

All of the Bible Prophets were false ,the only true profits are the WTB&TS ,$$$$$$.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Here's a good quite:

The Cult Awareness and Information Centre . . . :
    "The moment someone becomes God or God's voice on Earth it gives them another level of authority to enforce submission to them."
  • Downtowner
    Downtowner

Y'all it's only been just shy of 2,000 years. Why are you so impatient? What's another millennium or two? It's just right around the corner 😜🤣

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

How the hell did the "letters" of Paul come to be part of the bible cannon to begin with? Who the hell thought that Paul's letters carried more weight than other letters written during that time?

The whole collection of writings called the "bible" are just a mish mash of documents collected together by the Catholic church for some reason!

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit