Are Jehovah’s Witnesses softening their view of Faders?

by Darkknight757 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

So my In-Laws actually went out to dinner with us today.

Normally, since leaving in 2016, they wouldn’t eat with us or talk much to me. (Since I did convince their daughter to leave the cult)

Fast forward to about a year ago, some JW family were in town and they were actually nice!

Today we went out with the in-laws and they were very nice and talkative. Stark difference than previous.

Are the JW’s softening a bit or is it just me?

I’m sure my father-in-law knows I do YouTubes making fun of the J-dubs. He told me long ago if I ever talk against the witnesses he would shut us out.

Seems like he did for a while. But not now.

Very strange.

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

Idk about that. That may be just a personal decision. If it is good on your in-laws! My in-laws don't have an issue with us since we left but it was a silent fade and all they know is we n don't go to meetings anymore. One sibling and her husband know about my nicotine use but they had little to know problem with it. They just appriciated that I was honest. I think n its just being more common that they don't listen to the shunning rule with family as often. I know an elder who sees his df'd daughter regularly for "family business".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DARKKNIGHT757:

Don't know if you are aware but there was something written recently that JWs are instructed to provide contact information that is ALLOWED to include non-JW family members and friends!

I can’t say that in your case this is why their attitude towards you has softened. I also hope they don’t ‘want’ anything from you. Let’s hope it’s just goodwill. But, I have a suspicious nature and would keep on the watch, as they say. 😉

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Maybe they are starting to see the light 757.

RB.

• skin
    skin

I would say it appears to be more of a personal choice with the witnesses has to their contacts with DF family. WT are still saying no association with these ones, but i know of Elders who are not only spending time with their dfed family, they are open to letting you know that they are seeing them. Of course its ok to do this if you are trying to rekindle their interest in the truth.

• Terry
    Terry

Elsewhere (other than the U.S.) Watchtower treatment of DF'd persons (especially under age) has backfired on the Org.
    This seems to my way of reasoning to be the heuristic behind an apparent softening (for public relations purposes.)
    The leopard can't change its spots.

(Norwegian officials apparently acted against the Witnesses because they are troubled by the group’s practice of disfellowshipping; i.e., severing contact with people who leave the church.)

https://avoidjw.org/world-news/jehovahs-witnesses-face-trial-hate-crimes-february-2021/

https://abcnews.go.com/International/russias-mysterious-campaign-jehovahs-witnesses/story?id=78629389

https://www.au.org/the-latest/church-and-state/articles/jehovahs-witnesses-lose-tax-funding-in-norway/

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I would bet part individual choice and part covid bs changed outlook. The central rule makers will not change

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Comparing how it was in the 80s I say Org softening on everything. Can't even compare this org to how it was 30 year's ago

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I would be very careful and interested as to why Watchtower would want the contact information of those who faded/DF'd via relatives makes me ask what are they up to? And why?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

They never said anything with regards to contact information.

Sounds like the consensus is that nobody really knows why they need that information. Perhaps a special campaign?

I don’t keep up with Jw stuff but let’s hope it’s for good intentions.

We made it very clear to them a few years ago that we wanted nothing to do with the JW’s anymore. (They wanted to take our daughter to meetings while our son was in NICU) We made it very clear that, while we appreciate all that they were doing, we didn’t want our daughter exposed to that environment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit