Does this look like the WT is going to be around a long time? One Watchtower @ One Awake for the public in 2022

by pistolpete 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nikolaus
    Nikolaus

The Bible Students still use the Watchtowers from 1874-1916. Maybe JW can reprint those, too.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Well the GB heads have already rewrote the words in the bible by saying generation(s) instead of generation, so whats stopping them of doing more revisions or twisting and manipulation of scriptures ?

For example they could say all generations from 1914 forward who preach Jesus's new Kingdom are being righteous and loyal to Jehovah.

I would even guess they would drop 1914 altogether and just say we are true loyal preachers of god's will and purpose in proclaiming god's new kingdom to come... etc.

New light is a coming, new understanding through god's holy spirit and guidance as they have proclaimed

Old light such as 1914 will be cast off

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rattigan - "...It looks like they don't have a writing dept anymore..."

Maybe some 50-year-old neckbearded conspiracy theorist with only a grade 12 education, working out of his mom's garage?

Vidiot

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I notice that people on this site and others use the word "cult" in reference to the JW religion and other religions, but I never met a person who ever used the word "sect" while talking to me

Back when I was ‘in’, I tolerated the term “sect” but vehemently rejected the Borg being described as a cult.

Of course times change and here I am some 25 years later and my opinion is very changed.

The Dubdom too has evolved along with its “new light” so now we have a group of just eight men (why no women?) who are proclaimed by themselves as having a special place in both human history and bible prophecy

That special place gives them all authority over millions of people. It promotes edicts that cause incredible harm and distress to millions of people.

Is it a cult? Of course it is!

As a cult, it can only end in disaster

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I would love to believe those who predict the imminent demise of the WTS , I have seen it on this board for the last 20 years . As time passes the 1914 date becomes more and more ridiculous. However they can change that when they have to.

Probably they could start by inserting the word “around 1914” , then just refer to the early 20th century, and eventually just say that “world events before us show that Jesus’ words are coming true today” , dropping dates altogether. They could eventually blame It all on the Bible Students….The blind sheep will follow along.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

No imminent demise. But they slowly been going down the last 20 year's. Been raping speed last 5 year's. Remember back in the 80 s all bragging about how watchtower was taking member's from catholic Church. How fast watchtower was moving forward cause God's blessings and catholic Church was bleeding out. All that pompous and bragging sure went out the window.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    They could eventually blame It all on the Bible Students….The blind sheep will follow along.

Yep, they’ve certainly done that !

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

1995 was twenty seven years ago and that was a major turning point, perhaps the biggest in the Society's modern history.

I think it marked the point where doctrine was exposed as irrelevant to most Jehovah's Witnesses. Sure, some left but most just turned the page and carried on.

You'd have to be in your late 40's now to remember the long taught 1914 generation teaching that created the urgency we all remember.

jw.org is not the old Watchtower Society. They can discard any doctrine they like now, no-one cares.

I honestly believe that all of the flagship policies; blood, disfellowshipping & shunning and 1914 dogma are vulnerable. They could all disappear if the GB decide it serves their purpose.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

ozziepost, cults can last a very long time. The LDS and the "Christian Science" (so-called) were founded before the JWs and before Russell's Bible Students movement, yet the LDS and Christian Science still exist, and various Bible Students groups still exist. A number of Christians have told me that the Roman Catholic Church is a cult, but that Church has existed for at least about 1700 years (if not even nearly 2000 years). Thus the religion of the WTS/JW, even if truly a cult, can possibly exist in some form (even if reduced to no more than 1000 members) for another 100 years (if humans still exist then).

• Dagney
    Dagney

The JWs I know like their life as JWs. They have their community and reduced demands on them from corporate. They are quite loving it. The doctrines are of no concern to them. It’s the same o thing they’ve been hearing for years, they tune it out and go to lunch. I think if they experienced a personal issue or tragedy that woke them up maybe they would leave.

But the WT has a good thing going with expert financial advisors. They aren’t going anywhere. They are evolving, which smart corporations do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit