My Take on the Convention

by xjwsrock 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

4300 in attendance - 17 Baptized

Odd mix of congregations assigned, I'm sure to throw off any scent of a decline.

No distinction made whatsoever between loyalty to Jehovah God and loyalty to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Zero.

The convention is riddled with parts whipping up your love for the Creator and Jesus, with a quick reminder that the WBTS are their gatekeepers.

Parallels are implied constantly between Israel and Jehovah's Witnesses. Many scriptures were read in the Hebrew Scriptures. All scriptures speaking of hope or deliverance instantly applied to Jehovah's Witnesses and Armageddon regardless of actual context.

Implied, if not direct, threats flew around liberally for disloyalty. References were made to many people being killed for being disloyal. The Golden Calf episode thoroughly discussed. Korah and the ground opening up, Aaron's sons being killed, etc.

"Independent Thinking" was mentioned more than once and shamelessly condemned. JW's are not to have any opinion about the teachings from the "slave" unless they are positive. If we have a negative thought about anything coming from the "slave" we are to immediately dismiss it and "Wait on Jehovah" with a humble attitude.

There were a lot of stoic faces in the audience during the heavier videos. It was hard to read people but I didn't see a lot of emotion. I was surprised however by the kool-aid drinker comments from many after the assembly. They actually eat this stuff up. It blows my mind now that I'm awake to it all. It seems so blatantly manipulative, but it apparently plays on a JW's desire to be better than everyone else and judgmental. I heard one brother talk about (with raised eyebrows no less) how many in his hall had a lot to work on after this convention (how nice of him to point that out). One elder speculated that maybe future shepherding calls would also include a message of judgement..

My overall take- It's one thing to watch the videos at home on a personal device and be shocked by them, but to see the organization proudly parade this craziness in front of thousands of people on multiple jumbo-tron screens, is something else altogether. It was bizarre and surreal.

I walked in knowing they were a culty cocktail of delusion and deceit. I walked out thinking, though, they are also disturbingly narcissistic and paranoid. More so than I knew.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    • "I walked out thinking, though, they are also disturbingly narcissistic and paranoid. More so than I knew."

When you have experienced a person who displays a 100% narcissistic personality, it is amazing how narcissistic this cult is. It is scary. Even the Return to Jehovah brochure does not cover that maybe the majority of the rank and file have left and are fading due to the GB themselves. Just like the ARC. "It's not OUR fault, it's everyone elses fault." A narcissist will NEVER blame themselves. NEVER!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well summarised.

When those manipulative propaganda movies are shown in a large auditorium the "peer pressure" effect kicks in and normalises the content.

When watched personally or in a different environment, the ridiculousness is more clear.

Sadly, mass hysteria still holds value amongst witnesses...they choose not to think analytically (critically) about such stuff.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Laughing my ass off at the baptism numbers! Getting lower each year! jehober is truly 'slowing down' the work!

He needs to take his chariot in for repairs!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Interestingly, the Hebrew Scriptures are conveniently reconfigured by the Governing Body so as to be applied to the Watchtower Society. The Bible is used to support many absurdities.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

ToesUp - I agree. If you have a problem with the org, it's always a problem with you not them. It shows how much they see themselves as God.

SIR2 - I agree the dynamic is different in a crowd. I myself clapped simply to fit in with the wife and such. I wonder how many others were doing the same.

Eye - I hope they tell the truth on the numbers and we start seeing a decline. I'm sure they will just spin it as a sign of the GT coming soon.

1972 - I remember not questioning this stuff. Scary how they have the members thinking the bible was written about the organization.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

opusdei1972 - "Interestingly, the Hebrew Scriptures are conveniently reconfigured by the Governing Body so as to be applied to the Watchtower Society."

These days, it ain't even subtle. :smirk:

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Dayton Ohio today. I counted 34 baptized and they announced 6500 and some in attendance.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Wow, you can really see the growth 😳

Surely more than 34 will quit after the terrible display of cultism this convention was.

This organization is in decline and it will only get worse. I'm afraid it's fall will be a slow one though.

• paladin1
    paladin1

Around 33 got dunked at our RC with about 4300+ in attendance. I thought this was rather high for our region.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit