More payouts for sex abuse

by wannaexit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

There a number of threads going back 10 years regarding Gilbert Simental, a jw child sex predator. This is the latest article.

Watchtower you lost again.

https://legalnewsline.com/stories/511687317-california-court-upholds-4-million-sex-abuse-judgment-against-jehovah-s-witnesses-watchtower-organization

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

wannaexit:

Thanks for the update old friend! When you say: "Watchtower you lost again" those words have a nice sound to them don't they?

I think 4-million for the outcome was a bit on the low side, but at least it's better than nothing.

Have a wonderful New Year and save me a sip of that rum in the Eggnog!

Atlantis!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    "In its appeal, Watchtower's lawyers argued that J.W. failed to allege the umbrella Jehovah's Witnesses group was the negligent "proximate cause" of her having been molested. In its opinion, the three-judge appeals court panel countered that Watchtower created the circumstances in which J.W. had been victimized."

So the appellant court held up the ruling that 'Mother' (WT Headquarters) was indeed to blame for creating an atmosphere that resulted in JW's (victim) molestation...Yay!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Atlantis- the outcome is low but every little nail on the coffin helps out. Happy New Year to you and yours. When I sip my rum in the eggnog I will think of you

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    ...In its opinion, the three-judge appeals court panel countered that Watchtower created the circumstances in which J.W. had been victimized.

Now, if only all appeals court judges in all JW child sex abuse cases could see it this way...Yay!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

4 million - expect Some more Kingdom halls going on the market!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well done to the California court.

Hit them where it hurts - in the wallet.

The WT policy on child abuse is so bad hat it is guilty of protecting sex offenders.

I'm sure a case could be made of obstructing the course of justice, too.

Anyoo, I think it's fantastic that the WTS has to pay out millions and millions of dollars for what it's done.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "...the three-judge appeals court panel countered that Watchtower created the circumstances in which JW had been victimized..."

Bet the WT's wishing they hadn't appealed now.

Can't help but wonder if they actually thought they'd prevail when they did.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Is this the same case where $30m in punitive damages was also awarded - on top of the measly $4m?

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5701923312238592/want-read-montana-nunez-v-watchtower-trial-transcript-now-available-read

According to the very last pager in the court documents.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

LoveUniHateExams

The WT policy on child abuse is so bad hat it is guilty of protecting sex offenders.

I'm sure a case could be made of obstructing the course of justice, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit