JWs Reaction to BBC Report

by Phoebe 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

For months I have been telling my friends - very devout JWs - about the problem of child abuse in the organization but it wasn't until they saw the BBC report that they finally believed it. (I made mention of their reaction in an earlier post.)

Today they have emailed me to say the BBC report has hit them really hard. They don't feel they can go out in the ministry because what if someone mentions it? How will they answer them? Another sister they know feels the same. She has a neighbour who is constantly bringing up the witness child abuse issue and she doesn't know what to say to him.

I think this is good news...because if my friends are really hit hard by this, and they are very, very strong in 'the truth,' maybe it will help them wake up.

To think they no longer want to go in the ministry because of it!

• freddo
    freddo

I had a brother in my hall say to me this week after seeing the BBC News at Ten item about the adult victims being quizzed by the judicial committees in New Moston, Manchester - "How can I go on the work? It's embarrassing."

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Phoebe

Thank you for sharing this.

Too many JW's have rejected the idea that there is a sexual abuse problem within the JW world. That it is an apostate lie.

As householders and people in the workplace react to this child sexual abuse issue one wonders how that can be addressed in their ministry.

Will explaining that the JW's believe in the 'two witness rule' help or will it be akin to throwing gasoline on a fire?

• steve2
    steve2

There's been a trickle of reports that put JW organization in a negative light over several months. JW organization comes across just like other religious organizations that have dragged their heels on this issue and/or been too concerned with reputation over safety.

Any individual with some sensitivity to how their organization is perceived will feel embarrassed by the organization's response to the bad publicity.

• cobweb
    cobweb

That is encouraging that they were shaken by the coverage. I have become so used to it making no impact whatsoever. I wonder if they are genuinely disturbed or whether it is merely embarrassment at having to talk to people about it, as a few other posters mentioned.

I remember when I went door to door many years ago now, and there had been a lot of coverage in the media about a JW child dying because the parents wouldn't allow a blood transfusion, I would be embarrassed to go door to door for a number of days afterward in case it was brought up. My concern didn't go any deeper than that however. It was just a sense of awkwardness that I would have to deal with it.

The issue of child abuse is different, in that it is impossible to justify as one would try to justify the blood policy with the use of the bible. They will have to find ways to deny that it is a problem.

• Half banana
    Half banana

There is a difference to the response by different religions. In the Catholic Church they have admitted the problem and taken measures to avoid it, and as far as I am aware they have sought to help the victims, not out of reilgious obedience but because of simple human compassion.

By contrast The penny pinching, self righteous JW org almost deny the problem and thoughtlessly quote the Bible's primitive and blunt justice principle of "two witnesses!" and imply that they are above the law and all that the abused need to do is simply keep reading the Watchtower and go out in field service.

Friends this is not an acceptable remedy to anyone except the grossly deluded!

The truth will catch up with JW org soon and they will be millions the poorer but the main thing we hope, is that those sensitive JWs with a conscience will leave their harmful cult.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This type of exposure will trigger policy changes.

DY

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Not it won't.

Everything the Org has said recently indicates that they've drawn a line in the sand and won't budge on this, come hell or high water and damn the consequences.

Which suits me just fine, because that stance can only hurt them, both in the short- and long-term.

• steve2
    steve2

This type of exposure will trigger policy changes.

JW organization was hammered by the ARC because of its two-witness rule. No change - although some aspects of the judicial process were toned down.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I don't think the Charity Commission are done yet. This was round 1, the local congregation Moston Manchester. Round 2? National.

Seconds Out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit