Working With Idiots...

by teejay 9 Replies latest social humour

• teejay
    teejay

... CAN KILL YOU

Stress caused by dim-witted co-workers may give you a fatal heart attack!

By KATE McCLARE

STOCKHOLM -- Idiots in the office are just as hazardous to your health as cigarettes, caffeine or greasy food, an eye-opening new study reveals. In fact, those dopes can kill you!

Stress is one of the top causes of heart attacks -- and working with stupid people on a daily basis is one of the deadliest forms of stress, according to researchers at Sweden's Lindbergh University Medical Center.

The author of the study, Dr. Dagmar Andersson, says her team studied 500 heart attack patients, and were puzzled to find 62 percent had relatively few of the physical risk factors commonly blamed for heart attacks.

"Then we questioned them about lifestyle habits, and almost all of these low-risk patients told us they worked with people so stupid they can barely find their way from the parking lot to their office. And their heart attack came less than 12 hours after having a major confrontation with one of these oafs.

"One woman had to be rushed to the hospital after her assistant shredded important company tax documents instead of copying them. A man told us he collapsed right at his desk because the woman at the next cubicle kept asking him for correction fluid -- for her computer monitor.

"You can cut back on smoking or improve your diet," Dr. Andersson says, "but most people have very poor coping skills when it comes to stupidity -- they feel there's nothing they can do about it, so they just internalize their frustration until they finally explode."

Stupid co-workers can also double or triple someone's work load, she explains. "Many of our subjects feel sorry for the drooling idiots they work with, so they try to cover for them by fixing their mistakes. One poor woman spent a week rebuilding client records because a clerk put them all in the 'recycle bin' of her computer and then emptied it -- she thought it meant the records would be recycled and used again."

• happyout
    happyout

If this were true, I would be dead. Trust me, no exaggeration, I work with some of the stupidest people on the face of the earth.

Example:

Sales rep - Happyout, my customer wants to order a product

Happyout - ok, what do they want?

Sales rep - I don't know.

This is not an isolated event.

Happyout

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Too true!

Happyout.

Are you saying sales reps are stupid? Thanks!!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I thought this was a thread about my office at first.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Great stuff! So getting out of the WatchTower kingdumb will add years to our health! Maverick

• happyout
    happyout

searchfothetruth - I'm not gonna say sales reps are stupid the world over. No, they mostly seem to migrate to my company.

Another example:

Happyout to sales rep - your customer needs to send me two signed contracts, with original signatures on both contracts

Sales rep - can they fax it to you?

Happyout (I got a million of 'em)

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Amen to this article teejay.

I, like happyout, must work with the stupidest people on the face of the earth. An example? One of my coworkers actually thought the CD-ROM for his laptop was a coffee cup holder. No joke.

Everyday I come home and wonder how some of the people in this office earned a college degree. I guess their example serves as testament to social progression in academia for fear of repercussions that could result in lawsuits and financial catastrophe for some universities.

God bless America. The only nation where the dumbest people can make the most money. Why do rappers and athletes come to mind?

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Stupidity reigns with my co-workers - A typical exchange last semester (I work at a college)

TresHappy goes to restroom (the nerve of me)

TresHappy hears door of restroom open and slam shut and the hustled feet of one of my teachers...

TresHappy is washing her hands, hears the hustled feet of spoiled brat teacher.

TresHappy is met at the door with some b.s. line "oh there you are..."

TresHappy says "I had to go to the ladies room..." BUT I NEEDED YOU A WHILE AGO...I JAMMED THE COPIER AGAIN. I put the overheads in the wrong slot...jammed the whole copier...

Tres looks at teacher and thinks "and you've got that precious degree..."

Tres unjams copier. My boss heard about this and raked her over the coals for coming in while I was in the restroom.

Now teacher hates tres!

• teejay
    teejay

Y'all cracked me up!

"... but most people have very poor coping skills when it comes to stupidity -- they feel there's nothing they can do about it, so they just internalize their frustration until they finally explode."

When I read that line, I thought about the look that Miss Hathaway got once or twice a week when dealing with one of the Clampetts on The Beverly Hillbillies.

• obiwan
    obiwan

Want to talk about stupid people?!?! This guy who works at the shipping dock, was riding a forklift and moving along without a care in the world, and as he's riding along there is a cloud of propane leaking from the tank directly behind him! Someone saw him and told him to stop at once and shut the forklift down. When it was pointed out to him, he first went to tighten the connector, he had to be stopped from doing that, he could have froze his hand! Then he proceeds to tell the people involved that he knew the tank was leaking a while ago but.....and he still kept driving it!

We have all decided to start calling him Patrick, if any of you have watched spongebob squarepants you know what I'm talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit