Poetry and Healing

by gambit 17 Replies latest jw friends

• gambit
    gambit

I just discovered Lady Lee's website and it is full of great reading... In particular, I totally enjoyed her poetry section. I only wish that eveyone one of us was taught spiritualilty the way that I was taught poetry. I was taught to read it from 2 or 3 perspectives... Read it to discover something about the author, Read it to discover something about yourself, then read through it and feel the essence that surrounds you. It's strange, but when I keep these simple methods in mind, I can always find some good in what was said. The sad poems, especially, really touch me. They let me know that through all the pain and suffering that someone else has endured, that they are healing and that they are thankful... I don't have a website at this time, but I would like to share a poem I wrote about codependency... I don't know about you, but I never realized how codependent I was upon what my counselor refered to as my "super-parent"... thats when he uncovered my JW background and it all came together (or should I say, I fell apart ) I'd love to read everyone elses.

A Butterfly, A Man…

There was a man that caught a butterfly while sitting on a bench He felt proud he could capture such beauty

There was another man that sought a butterfly while sitting on a bench He felt proud such beauty could capture him

The first man displayed the beauty of his butterfly He gleamed with joy knowing he possessed such a sight

The other man shared the beauty of the butterfly He gleamed with joy knowing he sighted such a possession

The first man tried to find pleasure in his butterfly He was lost when he saddened his butterfly

The other man tried to give pleasure to the butterfly He was saddened when he lost the butterfly

The first man watched his butterfly dry away He was overtaken by his spirit to maintain her fairness

The other man watched the butterfly fly away He was overtaken by his fairness to maintain her spirit

The first man said he loved his butterfly So it was, that his life flew by because of the way of his butterfly

The other man said he loved the butterfly So it was, the butterfly flew by because of the way of his life

If you were a butterfly and I were a man, which man am I?

gambit

• Robdar
    Robdar

Gambit, I love the poem. Very nice job. Got any more?

Robyn

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thank you Gambit - Glad you are getting a lot from it

Interesting perspective on reading poetry. I had never read that before.

Fascinating poem - perspective - very important

• gambit
    gambit

Robdar,

Thanks. I also posted http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/56175/823121/post.ashx#823121, which I wrote when I started working through some anger issues...

I ended up journaling well over 100 pages of stuff in the last year... poetry, stories, personal attacks, letters never sent, dreams, all kinds of stuff... I found the poetry the most rewarding in the end, not just mine, but reading all sorts... when a poem really connects, I like to keep it and read it from time to time. They work as gentle reminders to me to see if I am making progress.

gambit

• Robdar
    Robdar

Gambit,

I enjoyed "Raindrop of Love" too. Nice visual....

R

• acsot
    acsot

Gambit:

What a touching poem! Were you the first man while you were still a JW, and the second man now that you are "free"?

I have tried my hand at poetry, but am too insecure about it to post any of it for public consumption. Thank you for sharing it with us.

• Brummie
    Brummie

gambit, this is 1st class, I read the other one too and that is also great. I'm disconnecting from the net now and going to bed on a positive outlook. cheers.

Acsot, go on be brave, jump in and share yours, I'm sure it will be inspirational.

Brummie

• nowisee
    nowisee

gambit,

thanks for your poem. there is a lot of thought and depth contained within it. it made me think (once again) of an earlier relationship of mine which i have been trying to analyze for close to 30 years now.

you obviously are a person who looks below the surface.

my best wishes to you. nowisee

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

That was very touching Gambit... thanks for sharing that...

Inq

• gambit
    gambit

Thanks everyone... Does anyone else write?

Ascot -- I'll answer your question, but first post a few lines -- I know you have them . Do you really think posting this was easy? My journal and especially my poetry have always been extremely private. I never felt like anyone would understand what I was writing, let alone get their own feelings from it.

nowisee -- I'm sure I will be analyzing my marriage, and my part of it's demise, for many years to come...

I have a couple more I'm willing to share, but I really don't want to be the only one...

gambit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit