I want to try something new, any ideas?

by Tameria2001 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I try to start with personal experience. I tell them I graduated from high school in 1968. I asked a JW student before graduating what his plans after high school were. He told me there was not enough time to get a college degree and that if I did not become a JW by 1975 I would be destroyed at Armageddon. I told him he would wake up in 1976 with egg all over his face.

Then the jws usually start fumbling about how some individuals carried things too far. That's when I would ask why JWs were looking forward to 1975? Why were jws lauded for selling their homes in the late 60's and students warned it would be dangerous to pursue post secondary education?

In Watchtower literature, wasn't there an historic pattern of prophetic speculation and false predictions about the end of the world? 1914, 1918, 1925 and the millions campaign where millions were promised to survive into the new system in 1926...

Do Witnesses still believe that many of those who saw the events of 1914 will still be around to witness the inauguration of the new system of things? Weren't JWs saying that such was God's promise. Awake masthead 1980 - 1995.

Do you think those who trusted Harold Camping should have continued to put their faith in him if he came up another sure date after his first prediction was totally off base? Of course not... so how do you expect me to put my trust in incompetent men in New York who claim to be led of God but have no idea what they are talking about?

• LauraV
    LauraV

What was pointed out to me from a former elder is to go easy, don't start out strong accusing them of this and that. Ask them about the blood issue, say everyone knows that JWs don't take blood, but my "aunt" who is a JW now says you can take blood fractions. Since she always seems to have a scripture to back up what she says, what scripture says blood fractions are OK to take?

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I'd go for the head of the snake - the G.B!! The next time I see a JW trolley, I'm going to present the following to them:

Jehovah's Witnesses are taught that their governing body is the “faithful slave” and that they alone provide scriptural truths to JW's. So when JW's receive a “new light” or update (reversal) on a long-held 'truth', do you believe that it has been delivered by Christ's “faithful slave?”

The G.B. reversed a lifelong JW belief just a few years when they said there was now no such thing as the 'evil slave' - they said it was 'hypothetical.'

Do you know where the 'faithful slave' got this 'new light' from?

The NET Bible footnote for Matthew 24:48 says this - “In the Greek text this is a third class condition that for all practical purposes is a hypothetical condition.”

REFERENCE: “The NET Bible was completed by more than 25 biblical scholars, several being graduates of the Dallas Theological Seminary. Most of these scholars teach Old or New Testament exegesis in seminaries and graduate schools.” https://netbible.com/preface/

Everyone will have their own preferred "club" to hit JW's with.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

The ministry school taught us to be friendly and get common ground.

We all hate people being mistreated and abused mention about JW in Russia on the news let them agree and talk about that for a while then when appropriate mention about the child abuse law suits on the news , they will struggle to say it's apostate because they have already agreed with the news media coverage of JWs in Russia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit