A Stroll Down Memory Lane!

by Atlantis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Thank you all for your comments and memories of events past. The tracts and Accommodations Form came from a former Bethelite who has been communicating with Atlantis for 10 years.

John Redwood, you already know this person because the two of you worked on a Watchtower project together.

The Watchtower of today is certainly not the same Watchtower of back in those days, Atlantis says, it doesn't even compare.

Thank you!

Petra!

• MightyV8
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

MightyV8:

That's classic V8, thanks for sharing! Donate at JW-Dot-Org, yep sounds about right. Seats free, oh brother!

Petra!

• TD
    TD
    Anyone notice the address on the Accommodations Form?
    917 Lyons Ave., Laurel, MD. 20810

The horse racing facility in Laurel was regularly rented for circuit assemblies. Since the racing season runs from April through November, it was perfect for the JW's, as the venue was largely vacant the rest of the time.

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

@TD I don't recall circuit assemblies at Laurel but I will take your word for it. I recall many District assemblies at the racetrack, and it was an absolutely awful, burning hot hellfire of a place to be, especially for a child.

We even camped there on the parking lot of Laurel racetrack in our pop-up camper, on the sweltering hot asphalt.

There was an indoor section, but I don't recall being behind that large glass wall which faced the platform. I think most people were stuck outside in the heat, and used lawn chairs with umbrellas which clamped to the arms of those chairs. Outside, vendors hawked portable battery-powered fans, which JWs purchased readily.

I imagine they scheduled these assemblies around those summertime racing events

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

MightyV8

I had to give you a like for this ,I can just imagine in years to come they would be saying in their boastful sessions that they were first in giving out the info of safe practising ,isolating ,hand washing with soap and alcohol etc,etc.etc.

You gotta hand it to them they are experts at re-writing their own history to suit the time .

• waton
    waton

Has anybody mentions meals at the assemblies? mealtickets? free to special pioneers? Kitchens set up in rented shops near Yankee stadium? "installation" making stand-up eating tables for the tents?.

Brothers and sisters peeling potatoes , cutting meat during sessions? all that work to basically finance the circuit overseer's car expenses?

then the 'free meals' period? kids feeding the ice cream to the alligators in he lake at the Pembroke FL Griffin Rd Assembly hall?

• TD
    TD
    I don't recall circuit assemblies at Laurel...

You're right. I misspoke. These were district conventions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit