A troubling visit with a satisfying end.

by Bonsai 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

steve2 , I always thought the bulk of publishers were female EVERYWHERE .Isn`t that so ?

smiddy

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Magnum, I haven't stepped foot into a KH in 2 years, so I don't have any up to date info, but it would appear to me that they are losing a lot of young ones who wish to pursue a career and don't have the time to get baptized or attend meetings. This religion has always had a strong pull on housewives, with children and the husband later joining in. But now it is becoming a religion for housewives here. Children are simply not coming in to replace the original boom of converts from the 60's, 70's and 80's who are starting to die off.

I remember sitting in an assembly one day a few years back (2013?) and the title of the talk was "overcome stumbling blocks' or something like that. A man was giving an experience of how he was disappointed with the new generation teaching so he stopped attending meetings. Later, an elder friend of his patiently explained how there could be an overlapping generation ( if you twist and convolute enough scriptures) and helped him to overcome his stumbling block and he became active again.

It was actually the first time I had heard of the 1914 generation teaching becoming an overlapping generation doctrine and I had a huge WTF moment sitting in the middle of that assembly hall. I was first shocked that the 1914 generation teaching had been done away with and I was equally shocked that someone could be stumbled by the new teaching. Well, the more research I did, the more I could understand why he was stumbled in the first place. Anyway, the experience at that assembly shows that there were those who were not convinced by the new generation teaching and walked away "stumbled".

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Steve 2 and Smiddy:

It's especially true in Japan. So many housewives trapped in a loveless marriage are sucked into this religion. That initial love bombing works every time! The men work there asses off here and have little time for religion. That is not to say that women aren't hard working here, because they most definitely are, but the housewives are the ones who are exposed to JWism when the door knockers come.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    LOL @ Outlaw.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

ToesUp - "...My spouse and I have a good laugh at a few things we have said and done to the Eldurs. lol"

I've always found it immensely satisfying to take the piss out of anyone who thinks they have all the answers ('specially if they're actually kinda stupid).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Magnum - "Do you have any insight as to what's going on in Japan?"

Ever since a domestic terrorist attack back in the 90s (poison gas on a Tokyo subway, I think), almost any group that espoused an extremist ideology (including the WT) became very unpopular amongst the Japanese.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ bonsai...

Pretty sure the "experience" was somewhat staged (or at least compiled from several real instances).

It does suggest that it had become an issue, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit