Who can explain why the "Two Witness" rule is wrong, in the simplest term?

by DATA-DOG 95 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

As Eden already correctly wrote, the 2-witnesses-rule is wrong, when it is used as a reason for not having to report to the police a criminal offense of which you have been informed.

If a "brother" confesses he has murdered a 10 year old kid to a JW elder, or if someone reports that the has seen a brother murdering a kid, then i believe the elder would not need a 2nd witness to report this to the police.

Not reporting what you know about such a crime, exposes the congregation members and the society at large to the crime to be repeated.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Let me put it to you this way. Who is "expecting Wachtower to be so"? And what does this have anything to do with my statement to on the way out that what he said was wrong may not necessarily be wrong?

We have regularly seen WT apologists say that the elders are not policemen in response to critics about their handling of child abuse allegations. The subsequent comment is often to make some point about the victim/family being free to go to the authorities. The claim is based around trying to differentiate between secular and religious roles and responsibilities.

The reality is that no person regardless of their stance is asking or expecting the elders and WTS to act in the role of the police or secular authorities. As far as the critics are concerned the simple way forward is to do what is needed to get the authorities involved and then the elders can do whatever they want from a religious standpoint. Those who support the WTS current policies and procedures believe the WTS does enough and individuals have to take more personal responsibility for raising allegations with the authorities.

As for your reply to OTWO - I don't know why you are arguing with him. Neither of you want the WTS to act in a secular role. The point of contention seems to be determining what, if any, responsibility the WTS has to support secular involvement when allegations of criminal activity are made to elders. Why the WTS can treat a child abuse allegation the same as some act like vandalism of a KH and just call the police seems to be an odd inconsistency.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Hoffnung nails it above, but "repetition for emphasis".

The "Two witness Rule" is for establishing if a Scriptural wrong has occurred, so that the Elders or a Judicial Committee of 3 of them, can determine how to deal with it.

It has nothing to do with whether or not to report Abuse or any other crime, that is a moral duty, to report straight away.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

koncept, shouldnt it be wrong for you to write three paragraphs full of nothing and hypothesis that has nothing to do with the topic?

Can you cite one case relevant to the topic on this thread showing that watchtower did something wrong? if you do not, I will not reply to you on this thread.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Fisherman - "...shouldn't it be wrong for you to write three paragraphs full of nothing...?"

You'd know.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

vid can you cite one case?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Dude, you don't even realize what I just said, do you?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. the thrread subject...

Sure, the "two-witness" rule is "Biblical".

And used correctly, it might even be effective.

However, the Org has been consistantly misusing it in a flawed attempt to conceal the fact that their belief system and worldview has created an environment where one of its deepest, dirtiest secrets has been permitted to foster, and that, in fact, said misuse has made the problem worse rather than fixing it.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

However, the Org has been consistantly misusing it

Vid, can you cite one case?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    koncept, shouldnt it be wrong for you to write three paragraphs full of nothing and hypothesis that has nothing to do with the topic?
    Can you cite one case relevant to the topic on this thread showing that watchtower did something wrong? if you do not, I will not reply to you on this thread.

Every time a WT elder has been told that a child is being abused and done nothing to ensure that the authorities are notified.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit