New threat in Terror attacks

by obiwan 24 Replies latest social current

• obiwan
    obiwan

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Homeland Security is warning that Islamic extremists might be plotting suicide airliner hijackings to be carried out before the end of the summer, with possible targets including sites in Britain, Italy, Australia or the eastern United States.

"As of mid-June, Islamic extremists may have been planning suicide hijackings to be executed by the end of Summer 2003," according to the document obtained Tuesday by CNN.

"The plan may involve the use of five-man teams, each of which would attempt to seize control of a commercial aircraft either shortly after takeoff or shortly before landing at a chosen airport."

Such a plan would preclude the need for hijackers to take flight training, the document says.

The one-page warning, sent to U.S. airlines and others Saturday, contains words of warning and skepticism, saying some of the intelligence the government has received raises "questions about the viability of the plot."

Homeland Security sources said the credibility of the information is still being evaluated. One government official termed it "dubious."

Intelligence leading to the advisory was developed during the past several weeks and is based, at least in part, on information obtained by interrogating high-level al Qaeda detainees, according to a senior intelligence official.

"Attack venues may include the United Kingdom, Italy, Australia, or the East Coast of the United States due to the relatively high concentration of government, military and economic targets," the advisory says.

Britain, Italy and Australia were allies of the United States in the war against Iraq.

According to the advisory, possible targets could include national symbols, economic targets and venues that would produce many casualties.

Also Tuesday, the State Department reissued its worldwide caution reminding U.S. citizens of the threat of terrorist acts, citing tensions remaining from the war in Iraq as a possible reason terrorists and other groups might strike.

"Terrorist actions may include, but are not limited to, suicide operations, hijackings, bombings, or kidnappings," the caution said, adding, "These may also involve commercial aircraft."

Other potential modes of attack include conventional weapons like explosives, and nonconventional weapons like chemical and biological agents, the department said.

The agency also reminded Americans that terrorists "do not distinguish between official and civilian targets," which might include places like restaurants, houses of worship, schools, hotels and beaches at which U.S. citizens and foreigners congregate.

Such worldwide cautions are issued periodically.

Warning of new terror strategies

The Department of Homeland Security warning also says the hijackers might try to use everyday travel items, such as cameras, that have been modified into weapons.

"The hijackers may try to calm passengers and make them believe they are on a hostage, not suicide, mission," it reads.

By doing this, one official said, the hijackers might be hoping to reduce the likelihood that passengers would take pre-emptive action, as those aboard United Airlines Flight 93 did September 11, 2001, after which the plane went down in a field in Pennsylvania.

But that possibility, the advisory says, "seems unrealistic given the widely publicized actions of passengers on the United Airlines Flight 93."

The advisory also says the terrorists might plan to identify flights that transit through the United States or the other target countries, so that the hijackers would not need visas for those countries.

Although the warning lays out specifics of the possible plot, it also says, "No equipment or operatives are known to have been deployed to conduct the operations."

Homeland Security officials said there is no immediate plan to raise the nation's threat level, but that the aviation sector has been encouraged to review security practices and implement new random measures.

One official would not specify what the new security steps might be, but said one of the points of the advisory is to encourage security personnel at every level to be on the lookout for new and different terrorist techniques.

FBI Director Robert Mueller spoke Tuesday in Arlington, Virginia, to about 1,000 police officers, firefighters and other first responders. In his speech, he did not mention the new warnings, according to The Associated Press.

Mueller said the United States, while still facing the threat of terrorism, is safer now than it was on September 11, the AP reported.

"The challenge for us is to recognize the threat is continuous out there and to do everything we can to prevent the next attack," the AP quoted Mueller as saying. "The oceans that separate the United States are not sufficient to prevent other attacks."

Investigation report

Last week, a congressional report stated that U.S. intelligence agencies, including the FBI and CIA, "missed opportunities" to disrupt terrorism before September 11. (Full story)

According to the report, senior military officials were poised to attack terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden before September 11 but lacked the intelligence data they needed to execute their plans.

The report also questions Saudi Arabia's cooperation in earlier terror probes and examines its link to the hijackers. (Saudi official, Bush meet on report)

The roughly 800-page report does not point to any single clue that could have thwarted the plot, but says "various threads and pieces of information" were either overlooked or not put together.

"No one will ever know what might have happened had more connections been drawn between these disparate pieces of information. ... The important point is that the intelligence community, for a variety of reasons, did not bring together and fully appreciate a range of information that could have greatly enhanced its chances of uncovering and preventing bin Laden's plan to attack the United States on September 11, 2001," the report says.

After the attacks, Congress approved the creation of a Department of Homeland Security to increase cooperation between the CIA and FBI and serve as an umbrella for other agencies that deal with issues of domestic security.

In a written statement last week, Mueller thanked the joint committee for the report, saying it would generate a "constructive discussion." He also said the agency has already implemented or is in the process of implementing many of the recommendations on improving counterterrorism

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Could you get a more unspecific warning?

Fear, fear, and more fear.

When one threat disapears, another one is threatened....so obvious.

• obiwan
    obiwan

Hey, just tryin to help out those in Europe, this threat is where the main focus is....sorry to bore anyone.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Huh, well I'm flying to the UK in a little over a week, and there aint no chance in hell that I'll be lulled into a false sense of security by some piece of crap Islamist. I'm 6'1", 180lbs and healthy, and there's gonna be some friggin' pre-emptive action if there's any funny stuff. And I don't think I'll be alone either. Any terrorist who tries the same deal as 9-11 with shite like boxcutters is probably going to end up flushed down the aircraft's toilet in small pieces.

Expatbrit

• Shakita
    Shakita

Whoa...expatbrit...if I am ever on a plane...I hope that you are sitting on it next to me!

I don't understand the US federal government at all! Here is another airline terror threat and the feds are pulling the armed marshals from the planes because of how much it costs to keep them in motels in between flights! Tell that to the families of the next hijacked plane....." I am sorry Mrs. Victim but your husband died a horrible death because we needed to funnel the money toward the next Whitehouse Christmas Party!" What is more important right now than protecting the airlines from future terrorist attacks?

I have a brother who flies frequently for business, and I worry about these terror warnings, even if he does not. He always says that if something is going to happen, then it will, he can't stop it so why worry about it. I am glad he doesn't worry, but I do.

This threat, like the others, is coming from a captured al queda terrorist. Just how valid are these threats? If I was a terrorist held by the feds, what could I gain by cooperating with them and exposing my groups plans to hurt my enemy? I just don't get it.......are they using truth serum or something?

Mrs. Shakita

• Hamas
    Hamas

What a load of old crap.

Everytime you turn on the news it's 'Islamic terrorists this, Islamic terrorists that'.

Just as we can now see that the case for war against Iraq was totally unjustified and we are examing the governments that led us to believe that it was, we should examine this false theory of Islamic terrorists. After all, if these governments lie to us about Iraq why shouldn't they lie to us about Islamic terrorists ?

Al Queda are innocent. If you want to see who really are the terrorists, take a closer look at the dealings and policy of the governments, both sides of the Atlantic.

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

Hamas,

If the American airline industry hired sky marshalls to protect their flights the way Isreal does 9/11 would never have happened. Even now, there is now mention of hiring them so chances are, 9/11 could be repeated, perhaps on an international flight.

As for your comment about Al Qaeda being innocent, how do you arrive at that statement? If Bin Laden took responsibility for the 9/11/ attacks, how can you say they are innocent? With all due respect, I am very intrigued by your way of thinking on this matter.

• Shakita
    Shakita
    Al Queda are innocent.

If Al Queda is innocent.....then Osama must be a pathological lier.

Mrs. Shakita

• Hamas
    Hamas

Hi Latin.

I am happy to answer your request.

If the American airline industry hired sky marshalls to protect their flights the way Isreal does 9/11 would never have happened. Even now, there is now mention of hiring them so chances are, 9/11 could be repeated, perhaps on an international flight.

Amazingly, although America doesn't protect every single passenger flight whilst in the skies, it does have its own air defence system, namly NORAD, which maintains a huge array of land based radar systems and has fighter jets on alert 24 hours a day so that they can respond to a crisis.

An interesting sidenote to consider is this, Latin.

But on 9-11, the same NORAD which had so effortlessly intercepted Stewart's jet in 1999, was nowhere to be found during that two hour period between the first planes going off course and the last one crashing in a Pennsylvania field ! Whatever happened to their fast reaction times ? The story goes that Air Defence systems were scrambled. What a remarkable move by whoever instigated such attacks ! We know that it certainly wasn't the highjackers who did this. Was it Usama Bin Laden playing with his radio controlled cars in his cave in afghanistan ? I doubt it.

And so we are drawn into the videotape found in Afghanistan that was left laying around, conveniently suggesting that Usama Bin Laden was responsible... as it was a self confession by the man himself ! In my opinion, it was strange that the man who so adamently denied responsibility for the attacks.. and lets not forget if he is guilty he would be the worlds greatest terrorist mastermind; this man left a videotape confirming his guilt and reaffirming American rights to remain in Afghanistand and continue the hunt for Usama Bin Laden ! A foolish move, by this terrorist mastermind.

Concerning this 'confession' Latin, it is also interesting to note that the authenticity of this very tape has been subject to much criticism, mainly from the Western world ! The audio was so poor that Arab newstations had to produce subtitles for the public to understand it ! From Germany, Dr. Abdel El M. Husseini and Professor Gernot Rotter made an independent translation and accused the White House translators of "writing a lot of things that they wanted to hear but cannot be heard on the tape no matter how many times you listen to it." .

Yet the strangest piece of evidence yet is the actual footage of Usama Bin Laden. Latin, this is why I think Al Queda are innocent. I am not some crazy guy jumping on the anti U.S bandwagon. I have read such evidence and have come to my conclusion; and not just based on these subjects. Here is one final piece of evidence I find interesting.

alt

The picture on your left is the Usama Bin Laden of the videotape left in Afghanistan.

The picture on your right is the Usama Bin Laden we have all come to know.

I hope this helps you to understand why I made those statements, my friend.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Ok, having editing problems.

But just below where I write this :

An interesting sidenote to consider is this, Latin

Should read this :

On October 26th, 1999, the famous US golfer Payne Stewart boarded a private Jet in Florida and left for texas. Shotly after taking off, his plane made a sharp turn off course and began heading northwest. All contact with Air controllers was lost ! Within a few minutes, US fighter jets had already intercepted the private Jet ! The quick reaction time that NORAD intercepted this jet was indeed very impressive.

... p.s. I posted a lot more info on these posts and frankly I am very annoyed at this forum and its system because I lost it all due to silly formatting. lol....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit