JW Children and Immunizations

by LDH 47 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Well the not-so-little baby (19 mos) got his next round of shots last night, 5 in all. He was rightfully indignant, and let the nurse know it.

I mentioned it to my Dad in passing, and he was saying that another family member doesn't allow any immunizations of their child.

This person is a DF'd-JW hater, and yet the some of the brainwashing has hung on. Now, all 3 of us children are immunized, but I can't discount the brainwashing that the medical establishment has taken at the hands of the WBTS. I'm wondering what your experience was/is as far as how JWs feel about immunizing their children???

Are there still JWs who feel that immunizations are 'pus-filled?'

Lisa

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Howdy stranger! Long time no see. How are things?

I saw you posted so evidently you are online right now. I wanted to let you know I got your previous PM and would like to call you. Send me a PM. I would like to get up-to-date on things going on in your life.

Sorry I cannot help you with finding JW's who think immunizations are quackery. Although in all honesty I would not doubt for a minute that such ones exist. After all, if old ladies I grew up with are still preaching that the television is Satan Da Debbil's Eyeball, yet the Watchtower Society has seen fit to have commercials advertised from time to time, then anything is possible.

• Xena
    Xena

We didn't get our daughters immunizations until she was 5 and we had to get them because she was starting school. I didn't do it because I was a JW, my husband and I did some research and decided on our own that we didn't feel the need at that time. Had nothing to do with brainwashing and everything to do with a personal choice. We also had our daughter at home with a mid-wife. Nothing to do with being a dub, everything to do with making our own decision about how we wanted to bring our child into the world.

Actually most of the dubs we knew were shocked and appalled at both our decisions. Oh Well.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Actually most of the dubs we knew were shocked and appalled at both our decisions.

Same here about immunizations.

To be honest, I'm not absolutely sure I'd make the same decision today, as I am a far better researcher than I was 11 years ago. But if the substance of what I believed about immunizations back then, stood up to my new research, my kid would not get immunized. And really, it didn't have anything to do with "pus filled" thinking, but was based on a look at the cost/benefit analysis.

Anyway, at eleven years of age, my daughter has never needed to see a doctor, her health has been so remarkable. And there are no real quantifiable dangers to her from any of the things people are immunized against so I'm happy with the decision.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

btw Lisa, give that kid a rasberry for me!

• Shakita
    Shakita

As a JW, I had all my four kids immunized. And, all my JW friends had their kids immunized. There was never any discussion about foregoing the shots because of religious reasons..... The one exception was a friend who didn't let her kids have the "P" part of the DPT shot because a child we knew had the shot and had a seizures afterward with some brain damage as a result.

Mrs. Shakita

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

That is so weird, Lisa. The lady who studied with me has a baby around the same age and refuses to immunize him as well. I had never heard of such a thing before. But working in an elementary school every now and then people sign wavers stating no immunizations due to "religious beliefs." I've never asked if they are JW.

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

The assertion by the WT in1931 that no-ne could prove diseases were caused by 'germs' and that vaccinations were wrong is irresponsible.

I read that in states where vaccinations were compulsory, some Witless parents would actually make a fake vaccination scar on their child to evade it.

They only benefited because the majority were law-abiding, and therefore contributed to the eradication of crippling and fatal illnesses.

I am not criticising anyone's decision on this, but you are only able to choose against the jabs because most parents do get their kids vaccinated.

If it were the other way round, I think you would, rather than risking deafness, blindness, paralysis or death as was the case even into the 1950s.

A lot of these diseases will kill and maim adults too. We don't realise how lucky we are to live in "this time of the end..."

• LDH
    LDH
    But working in an elementary school every now and then people sign wavers stating no immunizations due to "religious beliefs." I've never asked if they are JW.

Yup. Maybe you should, I wonder.

My workmate yesterday just found out that children who are NOT immunized are more than welcome to attend public school. All they need to do is sign a waiver. She was shocked.

I'll be the first to admit immunizations are not without danger. Hell, life is dangerous. I just think it's a little hypocritical of some people not to get their children immunized, when 100 years ago children were dropping like flies from TB, polio, smallpox etc and people all over the world were *praying* for a cure. Now there's a cure, and some people aren't interested. Wierd.

Six, your daughter *has* been to the Dr. for well child visits, right?

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH
    I am not criticising anyone's decision on this, but you are only able to choose against the jabs because most parents do get their kids vaccinated.

EXACTLY!!!

Reborn, I'll send you an email.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit