Saying "CNN is fake news" is fake news

by Coded Logic 17 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

CNN has the highest rated accuracy level out of any cable network. Okay, so that's not setting the bar very high. But I see people on this forum bashing CNN ad nauseam. And no one ever goes after any of the other networks who are far worse. What gives?

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/article/2015/jan/27/msnbc-fox-cnn-move-needle-our-truth-o-meter-scorec/

Is it just a case of people regurgitating what they think sounds good without doing two seconds research - or is there something else at play?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Interesting.

And as for CNN? It has the best record among the cable networks, as 80 percent of of the claims we’ve rated are Half True or better.

Half truths or better lol. Wow!

One of the categories on their score card was "pants on fire". How scientific is this?

I think "fake news" has become a broad term. Like I have always considered fox fake news and recent years now put CNN in the same category. I don't think criticizing them is always "they lied" about a specific fact, rather they aren't reporting news but shoving an opinion down your throat. CNN and Fox they do that big time. If you read headlines from the two extremes they will be promoting their own agenda and opinions sometimes off the same facts. Including some info excluding others. I think CNN's cozy relationship with the DNC that was exposed this year showed them to be the lapdog of the democratic party. Just like Fox has been of the GOP. The CNN thing was another level. There is a reason MSM is one of the least trusted institutions. CNN race baiting is nauseating too

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I think that CNN is Trump's personal whipping boy, so his followers will naturally follow his lead, just as they favor Fox and Breitbart because of Trump's approval.

Of course, CNN is not infallible when it comes to the truth, but is much easier to fact check.

This is only my opinion, but I tend to think of the alt-right as too lazy to do their own research or continually chasing conspiracy theories.

• bohm
    bohm

Good question. I have wondered about that myself and it seems that the typical response is

• a mix of annoyance that a well-established fact is being questioned (a bit like how you would respond to someone who questioned if Kennedy was actually shot)
    • a reference to some news story that was wrong; missing the obvious point single stories can't answer the wider question fo accuracy
    • retreating to the alternative claim that the CNN is "biased" and at the very least as bad as outlet X.
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

It has more to do with new coverage and analysis. As a conservative and a journalist, I was trained in ethical objectivity. If doing a series on the death penalty or gun control, for example, or right to work, I should write it so that my audience has no idea of where I come down on the issues.

CNN and the other networks sin not only by commission, but by omission. How many covered the fact that our former chief executive was never even properly vetted before running for President? (I refer, of course, to Obama's lack of any valid birth certificate.) Every single one proffered by the White House at the time has proven not only to be a forgery, but very poor forgeries! We don't even know who his real father was, but we know his book, Dreams of My Father, was a laughable piece of fiction, yet only the so-called "alt-right" covered the many inconsistencies.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gqlEEHdaFFM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7EAxesVQ8wo

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Having left my Kingdom Hall I would delight to see empty chairs, as much as I would like to think all media is splendid and without an agenda. Now that would be a delight. Or for those that still have a faith, that would be miraculous.

• baker
    baker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha1ljAbOPnY

Hands up don't shoot, is not news, maybe opinion

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

baker thanks for the video, the message was " The same to everyone, a march that honours our values" And the eerie sensation of having a big stage is that's what people who have center stage do, they create " theatrical theatre". And they use their stage to put their belief and opinion forward. But the video had nothing to do with the O.P, unless you want to be pedantic.

If the hands up is "fake news" then how is your our avetor of the "Statue of Liberty" different from those girls hand up?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

You can have 1 single factual story, on the one hand, a CNN will give selected details, then give you the narrative approved opinion that is unquestionable from their standpoint. The same story will be presented by the opposite end of the idiot spectrum, FOX, they will also give selected details and weave their narrative. Did either lie? Well the details they gave about the stories were true, granted each omitted certain aspects, and the opinion is just that, not fact or fiction, just... opinion.

The reason this whole "fake news" fiasco exists, is mainstream media stopped being reporting, it's now

1. Propaganda
    2. Entertainment

There is news out there that reports the WHOLE story without forced narrative opinion. It's just not coming from the major networks.

I trash CNN more than Fox because Fox always has been a farce to me, but CNN is leading the charge in turning sound, liberals into the wacky left we see running things today. I hate them BECAUSE so many people feel they are decent solely for the reason they hate Trump so much.

Think for yourselves

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

"Fake news" is a disingenuous moniker intended to be inflammatory. I do believe that mega media (CNN, Fox News, MSN, etc.) all attempt to put a political spin on every story. I cannot remember a time in recent years where a story was presented for the sole purpose of informing people. It seems that ever news story has to be some how the fault of conservative or liberal political parties.

The news coverage of the last U.S. presidential campaign has caused me to officially tune out the "news". I used to start my Sunday morning with massive cups of coffee, fried bacon, and hours of Sunday morning news programming. I haven't watched the news in months now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit