Unwritten rules at the Kingdom Hall, what were yours ???

by run dont walk 38 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    Note: You couldn't have a congregation get-together unless it was approved by the elders.

Note: The elders wouldn't approve said get-together without word from the Society.

Note: Said gathering obviously didn't happen.

And that's why most congregations don't have get-togethers, barbecues, picnics anymore. Large gatherings are bad, BAD. They are not to be sanctioned by the congregation. Some one individual or family had to be responsible and since paranoia reigns supreme, most dubs did not want that responsibility.

When I was a kid, congregation picnics were held several times a year and was well attended. It made the cong. feel like a family. Now if two or three families get together for a "party" and the elders find out, questions are raised and informal investigation is performed to make sure no christian principles were comprimised.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here are a few that I remember from throughout the years....

• Had to have a jacket to read for the book study, cardigan sweater didn't count
    • Skirt below the knees of course, so the bros couldn't take a peek at the sisters doing the #3 talk on stage.(this one came right from the CO once - he even demonstrated this by sitting down and drawing a line across his knees showing how the sister could reveal too much poontang)
    • Leave the back two rows open for stragglers.
    • One of the rear libraries was only for df'd individuals to sit in during the meetings.
    • Do not sit in the second row from the front on the aisle. That is the PO's reserved parking space.
    • Had to carry a Watchtower/KM while doing the mic's, couldn't be empty handed.
    • If you answer at the WT study -- The first time you answer, it must be signaled by raising your WT; The second time you answer, it is by raising your hand. Ignore these simple instructions, you don't get called on.
    • All monetary transactions are to take place in the parking lot. We do not want to give visitors the appearance of the money changers in the temple.
    • Can't play any sports or recreate without first going out in service after the meeting on Sunday. This was both a parental rule and a few hardcore elder's rule.

God, you want more?

• rockon
    rockon

The one rule I could never understand was no beards were allowed. They even started showing Jesus in a beard in the illustrations in publications, but the bothers we not allowed to grow one. Why??? No scriptural answer was ever given. Now personally I like beards a lot.

I pushed the envelope a lot. . . wore pants to a circuit assembly. . .wore a mini dress to give a part on stage. . .they asked me to change before they would let me do the part.. . .caused division in the congregation by dating a man who was studying and not baptized. . .a circuit overseer even came to see me on that one. And he was hateful. . . I guess they weren't preaching love at that time. Years later went to a company Christmas party and got told on by another jw I was working with. Got visited by elder. . .it goes on and on. If I see any of them now I have learned some new hand gestures that I use.

Tammy. . .I have a cousin that lives in Oregon named Tammy. Her mother's name is Margie. If you think you might be my cousin and would like to talk my email is [email protected].

Rockon

• Swan
    Swan
    If you answer at the WT study -- The first time you answer, it must be signaled by raising your WT; The second time you answer, it is by raising your hand. Ignore these simple instructions, you don't get called on.

Gee, how anal!

• blondie
    blondie

Grooming

No double (or more) ear piercings

No sandals in field service without nylons

Sisters must wear nylons at meetings and in field service

No jeans skirts of any length

No slits past the knee (must be sewn up)

No bare arms on the stage

Sisters hair length must be at least 1 inch long (unless from chemotherapy)

No designs cut into brothers haircut (not used until grows back)

No dark/metallic/or strange colored nail colors

No black lipstick

No hats on sisters in the KH (block the view)

Brothers must wear black dress shoes on the stage (no brown shoes, or cowboy boots

Brother’s hair length must not touch the collar

No trendy eyeglass frames or tinted glass

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Un Official Code of the Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses of Perry, Georgia.

Article I

1. All rules are subject to change without notice.

1a. Enforcement of all ammendments can be retroactive.

2. Any rule may not apply to certain ones, at the decision of the Body of Elders of the Perry, Georgia Congregation.

3. New rules may be created any time without notice.

3a. Enforcement of new rules can be retroactive, regardless of whether Mike Ganas was aware of the new rule.

4. The accused does not have the right to face his accuser nor do the elders have to be specific about the charges.

5. Two witnesses are not required when charging Mike Ganas with any violation.

6. Mike Ganas is always wrong and at the end of each Service Meeting will be called in to an elder's meeting to be reminded of that fact.

Article II

1. Two door cars are not acceptable because Mike Ganas drives one.

2. Rock & Roll music is not acceptable because Mike Ganas has been known to listen to it.

3. No conversations shall take place at the Kingdom Hall or within a Field Service car group that involve music, movies, television, radio, computers, recreation, cars, sports, unfair treatment by elders or others in the congregation, or any other subject not directly related to the meetings or Field Service if Mike Ganas is a part of said conversation.

3a. Conversations on the subjects mentioned above in Article II Section 3 may only be held with Mike Ganas for the purposes of reporting to the Elders that Mike Ganas in engaging in conversations banned by Article II Section 3 or for the purpose of gaining information that Mike Ganas is engaging in loose conduct.

3b. "Loose conduct" for the purposes of this code section shall be defined as Mike Ganas engaging in any activity which may be defined by The Society as a matter of conscience but one that is not approved by the Elders of the Perry, Georgia Congregation or other favored members thereof.

3c. Article II Section 3 shall not be strictly enforced except in situations in which Mike Ganas was a direct participant in the conversation or in a position to hear said conversation.

4. Any hairstyle that could be regarded as similar to what is considered attractive by "the world" shall be worn.

4a. Hairstyles for caucasian males should be such that sufficient amounts of hairspray or hair gel are applied to hold the hair down close to the scalp. The hair should be "parted" on either the right side of the head or the left and the "part" shall be at least 3/16 of an inch in width. The hair should be cut short, but not so short that it would stand up straight or near-straight when freshly washed and dried with no hairspray or gel applied. The hair on the sides of the head should not touch the top of the ear, nor should it touch the collar of a dress shirt.

4b. Hairstyles for black males should not be of a shorter length on the sides of the head than it is on the top of the head. Hairstyles for black males commonly referred to as a "box" or a "fade" are forbidden. A uniform length of hair for the sides and top is recommended, however for judicial purposes the difference in length between the hair on the sides of the head and that on top shall be no more than 5/32 of an inch.

5. If "worldly" schoolmates treat one better than the young people in this Hall and other nearby Halls, the subject of the treatment should be dealt with severely.

5a. Invitations to "worldly" parties or other associations will be regarded as "bad association" and dealt with as such.

6. Any recreational activities are acceptable as long as Mike Ganas is not included.

7. Association with other Witness youths in congregations other than the Perry, Georgia congregation is strongly discouraged.

7a. Approval for such is required from the Body of Elders of the Perry, Georgia Congregation and from a 2/3's majority of the members thereof. Request for approval must be submitted to the Presiding Overseer either orally or in writing no sooner than two weeks before the activity in question. The Body of Elders will consult with the body of elders in the other congregation and either approve or deny the request no sooner than 24 hours before the activity.

7b. Activities covered by Article II Section 7 shall include "Quick-Build Kingdom Halls" within the local area of the Perry, Georgia Congregation.

7c. Participating in "Quick-Build Kingdom Hall" projects outside of the local area, including those outside Georgia Circuit 6, is not allowed.

7d. Article II Section 7 shall not apply to anyone in the Perry, Georgia Congregation except for Mike Ganas.

8. Following the afternoon sessions of Circuit Assemblies and District Conventions, it is not acceptable to join in groups from other congregations in order to go out to eat at restaurants or for any other activity.

8a. Article II Section 8 is hereby rescinded following the disfellowshipping of Mike Ganas.

9. Visiting speakers who give the Sunday Public Talk may be taken out for lunch after the Sunday meeting only with approval of the Body of Elders.

9a. No visiting speaker will be invited to Perry if he has or will bring with him attractive and single teenage daughters.

10. There is to be no laughter from the audience unless the brother/elder giving the talk specifically makes a joke.

10a. Elders/brothers giving talks are not to make jokes or use humor in any way from the platform.

10b. Should an elder/brother giving a talk make a verbal mistake, any laughter from Mike Ganas is to be dealt with severely.

-------------not gonna write anymore on that one, you get the idea.

Sorry y'all. I know all that comes across as bitter and I do admit I exaggerated a little here and there so it's pretty dark humor. But it's so close to the truth. I really didn't exaggerate that much, believe it or not, I just wrote from personal experience. You'd just have to have been there back then. I hope some of you lurkers out there read through this list and the other "rules" on this thread and it hits close to home for you.

Mike.

• RR
    RR

In my old cong. we broke ALL the rules, farting on stage, sleeping in meetings, wearing mix-match clothes, long sleeves in the summer, short sleeves in the winter. .

However, there were certain ons that ALWAYS, ALWAYS sat in the same seats, and you knew better than to sit there, because if you did, you threw off the balance and screwed up the whole setaing arrangement and caused havoc.

• micheal
    micheal

As an Ministerial Servant if I didn't take notes during the public talk I would get a few nasty looks

• wednesday
    wednesday
    The PO interrupted his talk and had them rearrange their seating

I can beat that, once in my teens, my girlfriend and i were wispering during the public talk. the Speaker stopped the talk and told us to quit talking.

weds

• Swan
    Swan
    However, there were certain ons that ALWAYS, ALWAYS sat in the same seats, and you knew better than to sit there, because if you did, you threw off the balance and screwed up the whole setaing arrangement and caused havoc.

I loved to jump around. One side, then the other, then the middle, then the back, then to the front. It kept people as confused as hell, but for me it gave me a chance to talk to different people and to avoid getting into a rut.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit