Was there a special song that meant alot to you when you left?

by Brummie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

Nice thread.

"When the world turned blue" by Joe Samples & Lala Hathaway. It just had a big impact on me when I was leaving the Watchtower, I still play it now.

"Soul 2 soul" Keep on moving. I was playing that a lot at the time so it had an impact on memories.

"Havent you heard" Patrice Rushen. Reminds me of a tragedy that happened in the family back in the early 80s. Simply because I was playing it a lot when it happened.

"Sailing" Christopher Cross. Reminds me of reliving abuse experiences. It brings a positive outlook, one line is "Its not far back to sanity, at least its not for me, if the wind is right you can sail away and find tranquility" and thats my lifeline.

Strange how certain songs trigger major events. These all do.

Brummie

• Nikita
    Nikita

The first song that "popped" into my head was "I WIll Survive." Then,"Take on Me," "I Want to Know What Love Is," & "Shout."

Nikita

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    It's my life - Bon Jovi

That was mine. I bought the CD simply for that song. I was going through a divorce, dealing with my father's admission of sexual abuse, and ended up getting disfellowshipped, all within a few months. Somehow, when I heard that song, it gave me the courage to just do what I wanted to do.

• Prisca
    Prisca

When I was discovering the truth about "the Truth", realising that my religion was no longer The One, and wondering if I'd be shunned by my family for leaving, this song was on the radio alot, and I could really relate to it. The words that particularly were meaningful to me are highlighted in red.

"No Matter What" - Boyzone

Chorus:
    No matter what they tell us
    No matter what they do
    No matter what they teach us
    What we believe is true

No matter what they call us
    However they attack

No matter where they take us
    We'll find our own way back

I can't deny what I believe
    I can't be what I'm not

I know I'll love forever
    I know, no matter what

If only tears were laughter
    If only night was day
    If only prayers were answered

Then we would hear God say

Repeat Chorus

And I will keep you safe and strong
    And shelter from the storm
    No matter where it's barren
    A dream is being born
    No matter who they follow
    No matter where they lead
    No matter how they judge us

I'll be everyone you need
    No matter if the sun don't shine
    Or if the skies are blue
    No matter what the end is
    My life began with you

I can't deny what I believe
    I can't be what I'm not

I know, I know
    I know this love's forever
    That's all that matters now
    No Matter What

• dottie
    dottie

Breathe by Nickelback.

I didn't hear this song till I was out for around ten years. To me this song is about the freedoms that I wanted that were within grasp but couldn't have, the freedoms I did have when I finally left and how weird they were, the treatment I recieved from the JW's(feeling like I was out of the "cliques") and how I wanted to please my mom by staying in, but I just felt it was wrong to do so.

Breathe by Nickelback 
    Two men started walking Started talking bout better days One says to the other He'd do it all again....... if I knew I would And now I found it Found I adored it I didn't want this Can somebody help me see? And now I feel it Feel that I've been there I didn't need this Can somebody help me breathe? Here we are again Just face to facing Each other another day Who wins Well who cares It always ends up the same Seems I knew I would And now I found it Found I adored it I didn't want this Can somebody help me see? And now I feel it Feel that I've been there I didn't need this Would somebody help me stand? And now I've told him Already warned them I didn't want this Can somebody help me breathe? If I was them Then I wanna be What I see If I could pack my life in a moment I wanna know do you want me to go? Gonna give my life never ending Never stop myself from pretending That you always knew that I never could All I ever really wanted was to be the same Equal treatment never ever comes and here we go again All I ever really wanted was to be like you So perfect So worthless If i could take it all back think again I would And now I found it Found I adored it I didn't want this Can somebody help me see? And now I feel it Feel that I've been there I didn't need this Would somebody help me stand? And now I've told him I didn't want this I didn't need this Can somebody help me breathe?
  • Mary
    Mary

I always thought Highway to Hell described my life to a T.

• rem
    rem

No, let's not forget Losing My Religion!

rem

• anglise
    anglise

I want to break free by Queen

Anglise

• Piph
    Piph

Very cool thread!

I actually put together a playlist called "FREE"...I can't think of all of the songs off the top of my head, but here are the highlights...

Losing My Religion - REM
    Thank You - Alanis Morrisette (that's my cell phone song now too )
    True - Spandau Ballet
    Side - Travis
    Alive - POD

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

mad world - the gary jules version from donnie darko -

all around me are familiar faces

worn out places, worn out faces

bright and early for their daily races

going nowhere, going nowhere

all their tears are filling up their glasses

no expression, no expression

hide my head i want to drown my sorrow

no tomorrow, no tomorrow

and i find it kind of funny, i find it kind of sad, the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i've ever had

i find it hard to tell you, i find it hard to take, when people run in circles it's a very very mad world

children waiting for the day they feel good

sit happy birthday, happy birthday

and i feel the way that every child should

sit and listen, sit and listen

went to school and i was very nervous

no one knew me, no one knew me

hello teacher tell me what's my lesson?

look right through me, look right through me

(chorus again)

i think it describes what being a witness is like to a T. eerie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit