Seabiscuit

by teejay 30 Replies latest social entertainment

• blondie
    blondie

Irreverent and I just went today. It was great! The theater was packed and people clapped at the end. Go and take the whole family. The race scenes were like being on the horse yourself.

Blondie

• teejay
    teejay

Dang.

I think I'll go and see the dad-gum movie again!

• talley
    talley

At one time I owned a retired Thoroughbred. A friend had a racing Quarter Horse that was not doing well, he would not try to leave the 'pack', so his owner gave up and boarded him at the stable I was at. He mentioned that it would be nice if I could 'pony' his horse for excercise, so I did, using my old race horse, Campy.

The ponying went very well, and I began to notice a lot of nose tipping, nipping, and ear movement on both of them as the days went by. I called the guy and said he should try his horse one more time. That Quarter Horse had turned into a front runner!

The only explaination I have is that Campy "explained" to him what it was all about.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Nina and I saw this movie yesterday afternoon and we loved it! You're right teejay, this was a good story, well told and acted and beautifully directed. I think I'm going to read up on Seabiscuit because now I'm wondering just how much of the film actully happened.

Big Tex says Thumbs Up to Seabiscuit.

• LDH
    LDH

Yep, it was pretty good. But I would recommend the Australian movie "Phar Lap"-I think made in the 80's.

Also a true story about a race horse that will have you weepy at the end. And you will think more of Six's comment after you see it.

Lisa

• berylblue
    berylblue

the book Seabiscuit is supposed to be excellent...much of the movie is, indeed, true.

That last race was Seabiscuit's last race as he was, in racing circles, very old (7 I believe?)

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I saw this movie last night and it was wonderful. I really enjoyed William H. Macy. Like Big Tex, I give this movie a !

• waiting
    waiting

If you like the background history of Seabiscuit (depression, city & cars) - then you'll like a special they did on the building of the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge - I think it was shown on either the History channel or the A&E channel (could be the same channel for all I know).

Was fascinating - and occurred almost simultaneously with Seabiscuit. A culture down & out - needing and wanting something to believe in..........and it was achieved in both instances.

After seeing the movie Seabiscuit - I bought the book. Captivating event.

Waddago, California!

waiting

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Wait a minute! I think I went to the wrong movie!

Willlll-----buuuuuurrrrrrrr.......

• willyloman
    willyloman

Book, movie both excellent and highly recommended.

There's a bonus in the book: the acknowledgements at the end where Hillenbrand, the author, talks about her chronic fatigue condition which kept her doing research in the traditional way; she relied on the internet and did all her interviews on the telephone. Pretty inspiring account on its own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit