I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if "Religion" had never reared it`s head.?

by smiddy3 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We looked for answers for thousands of years, how we got here, why we die, why there are natural disasters, what's the point of our existence. Sometimes people say religion prevented us looking for answers and hindered the development of science.

The history of science course I studied at university theorised that people's belief in God lead them to look for laws in the natural world because they were sure a creator would have made laws. This, they think, lead to science as we know it. It's an interesting idea.

Personally I wish the whole world would see that we've grown out of organised religion but I guess that's going to take some time.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

The human mind is still in the dark ages and will remain so till humans learn to eschew the made up concept of religion.

Religion still plays a major role in the lives of the majority of world population. People refuse to see reason and abandon logic . Belief in superstition and brainless faith in deities , made up attributes of thousands of gods still tickles their imagination and of course the dangling carrot of a grand after life.

Difficult to penetrate the mind with such mountains of garbage cluttering the brain.

For many of us it was easy because we all believed this was the truth. If not then there was no other that was true. From there it was but an open door to freedom once all of us discovered that both the Bible and the JW religion were just made up crap.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Religion is the remembrance displays at an accident. The cut piece of hair that is kept. The deep longing for a person that has died. It is the way that people comfort themselves over the loss with the belief that life goes on after death.

It also becomes the tool others use to make money with, control others to gain an advantage and to make themselves rulers.

It is also the curiosity of what and why combined with our desire to find an answer. Maybe in the not too distant future, the whole concept will change of what people need in their lives.

I can only hope that religion as it is, as well as animosity towards other nations/races changes.

Although Pacific Rim 1 & 2 is just a scifi movie, it has continued to try to show a world united against an alien race. Still have people's annoying quirks and money issues but I enjoyed the feel of the movie with international casts.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Interesting question. Perhaps a world without religion might occur in our future, but religion was inevitable in our past for at least two reasons:

1. We are wired that way: Our brains naturally seek explanations for events. So, for example, when our pre-scientific ancestors (who had no knowledge of atmospheric temperature and pressure differentials or static electricity) saw brilliant flashes of light in the sky and heard loud "booms," Thor in the mountains pounding away with his hammer seemed as likely an explanation as any. Supernatural explanations for nearly every natural phenomena are plentiful in our history. Every culture and religion has them. Every one.

2. We are wired that way: Humans are social animals. We have always lived in groups ranging from the small family unit to the tribe and eventually on to larger social structures. As is observable in any group of animals with a social structure--from baboons to wolves to chickens--there is always some sort of hierarchy. Humans are no different in this regard. Someone always wants to be the top-dog or Alpha male. Most are content to be followers. Religion provides a convenient justification for this arrangement. This is true in every culture and religion. Every one.

The only way forward, as I see it, is to promote universal, science-based education for everyone and to strive toward creating a more egalitarian society for all. For that to happen, religions would have to go away--at least as they presently exist.

I am first and foremost a scientist, but I am also a student of history and human behavior. Because of this, and being the pragmatist that I am, I can only say this to the proposed end of religion: Good luck with that!

• jp1692
    jp1692
    scratchme1010: Spirituality is part of the human experience. Religion is how it is supposed to be expressed as a community.

Religion and spirituality are not the same, nor is one necessary to have the other.

I would like to remind you of this thread. Curiously, you commented briefly on it but never returned to the discussion:

• steve2
    steve2

I think a more apt title for this thread would be,

“I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if organised religion had never reared its head?”

(BTW no apostrophe on the possessive form of its)

• cofty
    cofty

I'm not sure if we would have got this far without religion.

Should it now be discarded? Is that even possible? I'm not sure.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

A man named Christ a long time ago preached love for thy neighbor.

If love for thy neighbor was universally practiced, would the world be different today?

Yes, it would.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, and if Christ's words were followed, we would not have war, adultery, lying, stealing, hatred, envy, love of money etc. The problem is there is darkness in our hearts; there are skeletons in our closets; which we think the fig leaf of religion might help to eradicate.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you for all your comments when i reflect on the subject I suppose it was a rather silly topic because while Religion can be divisive ,destructive ,alienate people ,so does race / colour ,politics ,and nationalism .

None of which are going away anytime soon if ever.

And while Jesus may have" preached love" for neighbor on the one hand he also said he would" not put peace on the earth but a sword"

And Jesus was fully behind his God Jehovah who taught his followers to commit genocide on their neighbors in the O.T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit