Did You Really Believe in The 1975 Rhetoric?

by Guest 77 33 Replies latest jw friends

• starfish422
    starfish422

Tinkerbell, you and I could have posted almost the exact same thing. I was five months old in October of 75; I didn't know a darn thing about it until two years ago when I happened to be seated next to a former JW at a wedding reception. This gentleman had been in our congregation and knew my family, and remembered me as a small child. He left when I was very young; so I didn't remember him but I vaguely remember his parents.

In any case, my parents never told me anything about the 75 Armageddon no-show. The man I sat next to, however, told me some very interesting things about one of the well-known members of our congregation: how he sold his business in 1975, and took his family (wife and all six kids) up to the roof of their house on the date in October that he thought would be the end....and then sheepishly had to bring them all back down again the next morning when nothing had happened. All of this in plain view of everyone in the village where we lived. LMAO No wonder my parents didn't want to tell me about it. How embarassing for the borg. LOL

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Reminds me of the WT predecessor, his last name was Millar in 1846 or 47 who, with all his followers, locked themselves up in a barn waiting for the end to come. After the given date they all came out but did they learn their lesson? Some of his followers went on to form the modern day religions of Second Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Will

• hksb
    hksb

I was only 7 in 1975. I know my dad believed it but my mum didn't so fortunately we didn't do anything crazy like move to Scotland "where the need was greatest". However, I know a number of families who did move and they lost a lot of money as a result.

I remember my mum was pi$$ed off that the WTS denied having led the brothers to believe in 1975. But all was well in her eyes when that apology arrived around 1980 at the district convention.

Anyway, thank goodness the end didn't come in 1975. Otherwise we would never have heard the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Specials etc. between 1976-81.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember all the talk about 1975, but I was too young to realize what it all meant if it happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit