Rutherford - Watchtower Rewriting History Again?

by Stephanus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I see nothing wrong with that footnote. (Except that they should have added "in drinking").

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think that they are making Rutherford appear in a better light because they are getting ready to canonize him. Yep, old boy is going to be the first WTS saint.

Steph,

No can do on that. I called 5 today. I couldn't leave a message because not a single one had an answering machine. I am sorry, my friend. I hope that you don't feel that I have failed you.

Robyn

• Amazing
    Amazing

The truth is Rutherford stole the lead, busted his way into the President and Dictator for Life role ... and ruined an otherwise harmeless little Bible cult ... turning it into a slave book sales racket. - Jim W.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

So if Rutherford could be likened to Lenin, as in the man who originated a new thinking, does that make Rutherford akin to Stalin?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Big Tex:

So if Rutherford (Russell) could be likened to Lenin, as in the man who originated a new thinking, does that make Rutherford akin to Stalin?

Yes ... exactly ... right on target ... with one exception ... Stalin wasn't in it for the Prophet (Profit).

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Can't provide any specific references at the moment, but yes, this is part of the Org's continual rewrite of their history. Russell, Rutherford, and Knorr, are referred to now as ones taking the lead among Jehovah's Witnesses, or as part of the Governing Body at the time. Conveniently overlooking little details, such as the fact that Russell was never part of any organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses, or that the Governing Body did not actually exist until the mid 70s.

One recent article even referred to Studies in the Scriptures as "published by Jehovah's Witnesses!" Right...

Someday I suppose they will describe how Russell and Rutherford were early members of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses(tm).

• RR
    RR

The way I read it, it rings of truth. Rutherford did spear head the work of the JW's, he did in fact lead them. That can't be said of Russell, since Russell wasn't a JW. Perhaps they are trying to distance themselves from the Bible Students who still follow Russell's teachings.

The only problem with that is .... to say Rutherford was their leader and founder will only give them a presence since 1931. So they need Russell to establish themselves as an "old time religion" of the 1800s.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

"One death is a tragedy. Millions are a statistic." -- Josef Stalin

Sounds like a Witness talking to me.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I have no problem with the "truth" of the statement - it is technically correct in every aspect. "Took" is particularly apt regarding da Judge's grab for the leadership. It was just one of those sentences that "reached out and grabbed" me...

Rob, understood! No worries.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well theres a tendancy to completely overthrow the king once hes dead and tear down all the monuments he built. Surely CT Russell is no more than a symbol on pages of a magazine now. Noone knows what he actually SAID, and the masses cant be allowed to read what he taught because it contradicts current theology. And we all know that the "truth" never changes. Right? I think Rutherford was an arrogant autocratic pig. Not an image they want of one of their past leaders, so they are down playing him. Youll notice they never mention Knorr. Thats because hes not a historical problem. They only mes around with the histories of the ones that are a "problem".

"problem" = Reality contradicts Officially sanctioned history

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit