Question from a newly DF'd chick...

by praying_mantis 19 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

XJWBill,

Just letting you know that the link to your site isn't working. I clicked on it and got a message saying that the page can't be found. click on it yourself and see if it works for you.

peace,
    somebody

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Hey, Somebody, thanks for telling me! I went back and edited the post, so it should be working now. 'Preciate ya! :-)

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• JWD
    JWD

Someone said,``no-one but another ex-JW can understand what`s going on in your head``. I might seem to be spliting hairs, but strictly
    speaking, I don`t think that`s true. After stepping out of the TOWER
    and getting a good look around, you will probably be surprised to see
    how `un-unique` the WTS is. The methods of control which they use are
    not really much different than lots and lots of other total-control
    oriented groups.The more I look into so-called `cults`,the more I find
    that most of them are very similar.Sure the vocabulary is different,
    but if you inter-change certain words, you might be surprised at how
    much the WT looks like a lot of the groups you are used to critic-izing. In fact, sometimes hearing the experiences of people who got
    free from groups like NSA,scientology,the Mormons or the Moonies might
    be more helpful in some ways. The reason being you are able to listen
    to their experiences with more objectivity.The correlations between
    your experience and their`s will become evident. At any rate,I think
    it`s helpful to get over the idea that the TOWER is somehow terribly
    unique, because it isn`t. When all is said and done it`s just another
    garden variety cult. Whatever you do, don`t be afraid to ask questions. Real Truth can stand up to criticism.Lies can`t. Just a few
    thoughts from the other side of the world. JWD

• metatron
    metatron

Welcome!

It ain't 1975 but it's an excellent example of the Society's
    lies (it's my absolute favorite!)- here goes:

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact
    that you will never grow old in this present system of things.
    Why not? Because all the evidence in fufillment of Bible
    prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in
    a few years. ... Therefore, as a young person, you will never
    fufill any career that this system offers"
    May 22, 1969 Awake

Many of us getting out of high school believed this crap
    and lost out on a good education.

metatron

• crittersitter
    crittersitter

met
    copied that quote to send to my sister. that is the stuff i grew up on..now 40's grown kids, own my own business...things that nver were going to happen to me
    interesting huh
    glad i'm out too!!

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Sometime around 1972 Fred Franz, the WTBTS master chronologist, determined that his date of 1975 was off by a year and that the real date was 1974. According to the account written by Ray Franz in _Crisis of Conscience_, the governing body decided to suppress this because of the "unsettling effect" it would have on the brothers. So it never made it into the literature.

But, it did make it into the rumor mill as I heard about it back then from one of my gossip-loving JW relatives. It wasn't until about ten years later that I made the connection when I read _Crisis of Conscience_. I believe it was in the same chapter that the then WTBTS president Knorr expressed his doubts, not just about 1975, but also about 1914. Of course, if a rank and file JW did such, the judicial boot would soon follow.

Perhaps Knorr, like Rutherford before him, was feeling the end of life coming on and this had a bearing on his decisions. Had Knorr been diagnosed with terminal cancer at that time? Perhaps that made him a little doubtful on how things were going. This was different from Rutherford, also a terminal cancer victim, who probably was motivated by his condition in his last couple of years as he promoted the idea that World War II would end in the Big A and he would make it through.

When then president Fred Franz met his long delayed end in late 1992, I'm sure that the revisions to his precious 1914 generation doctrine started almost immediately thereafter. Maybe the plans were already in place, but were held up because of the opposition of Fred and his sycophants on the governing body.

So, expect more "new light" when Milton Henschel bites the dust or is eased out of active participation. With the organizational changes of last year, the latter may have already started.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Hey Mantis,

My favorite quote from the organization on this subject is found in the May, 1974 Kingdom Ministry, page 3: (Courtesy of Ray Franz' book Crisis of Conscience)

"Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end. -- 1 John 2:17."

REMEMBER: Take one day at a time.. I've never been a JW, so I cannot even begin to say I understand what you are going through, but when all else fails, remember, you are finally FREE!!!!!

Good luck, my prayers are with you....

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Newly DF'd Chick,

No need to be critical of the Society, because the 'end', just as they said, did come in 1975! The only thing is, it just wasn't near as bad as we thought it was going to be!

You're now living in the 'New System of Things'! How do you like it?

Warm regards,

Outaservice (but still counting my time!)

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Outaservice--ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, I shoulda kept up my Watchtower subscription!

Thanks for the "New Things Learned"!

Bill [8>]

P.S.--Does this mean I can count time on this board as FS hours?

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    When then president Fred Franz met his long delayed end in late 1992, I'm sure that the revisions to his precious 1914 generation doctrine started almost immediately thereafter. Maybe the plans were already in place, but were held up because of the opposition of Fred and his sycophants on the governing body.

So, expect more "new light" when Milton Henschel bites the dust or is eased out of active participation. With the organizational changes of last year, the latter may have already started.

It's not like that anymore. The President doesn't hold power anymore like they once did. I think that the revisions that have occured are because the GB is really a committee now. The last loyalties to Fred Franz died when he died. I think that the only strong personality left on the Gb is Ted Jarez. Once he goes, who knows?

Slipnslideius Masterus: Strength and Honor ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit