Question from a newly DF'd chick...

by praying_mantis 19 Replies latest jw friends

• praying_mantis
    praying_mantis

Hello again...now that I am officially a horrible, unrepentant sinner (in the eyes of a polyester slack wearing, mini van driving, anal retentive man whore), I have a question (actually several, but I will start with one!) Brace yourselves: it is about 1975!

Where in the WT was the "prophecy" made? Did the WT own up to its mistake? I am curious about this, because my mom was baptized in 78, and studied for 5 years before becoming a witness, so it was in the midst of the 1975 issue.

Thanks in advance!

• JWD
    JWD

The 1975 `prophecy` was mentioned in many places.The more dramatic
    statements were made by COs or at conventions.There were also some
    very leading statements in the KMs.The WT and Awake also included
    several articles about it.One of the more blatant statements,however,
    was at the beginning of the 1966 book entitled `Life Everlasting in
    Freedom of the Sons of God`. On page 29 it states `According to this
    trustworthy Bible Chronology six thousand years from man`s creation
    will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human
    history will begin in the Fall of 1975 C.E.` Two pages later the book
    has a `dateline` of human history which ends with the dates 1975 and
    2975.It lists them as the end of the 6th and 7th one thousnad year
    `days`. In other words, the beginning and the end of the millenium.
    There are many, many more such statements in WT literature which no
    doubt others will bring to your attention. As you search and look back
    at older WT publications, you will see that the society has basically
    re-written their own history. In other words,what they are now saying
    they taught and what they actually taught at the time are very different. The 1914 thing is a classic case. The WTS taught that by
    1914 Armageddon would END, that the annointed would be taken to heaven, that Babylon would be destroyed, that Isreal would be restored
    and that the 1000 yr.reign would began. Obviously, not a shread of the
    original prophecy came to pass, so they re-wrote the contents.Since
    very few Witnesses have the means to research the past they assume that the WTS is telling the truth.Thus history is re-written. A recent
    classic example of this is the 2000 yearbook.When talking about the
    history of the bros. in ,I believe, Czeckoslavokia the yearbook states
    that AT NO TIME DID THEY SAY THE END WOULD COME IN 1975.In the real
    world it`s called lying. In the society it`s ...`theocratic warfare`?
    Do lot`s of searching into the facts.There are tons of actual copies
    of older material on the net. Try freeminds.com. JWD

• somebody
    somebody

welcome praying_matis,

This thread has quotes from the WT and the so-called apology, for the 1975 fiasco. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=4975&site=3

peace,
    somebody

• Francois
    Francois

Welcome, Praying Mantis, and CONGRATULATIONS!! on getting yourself out of the Borg.

Many people who leave or are kicked out have issues to resolve like: anger, feeling lost, feeling alone and even disconnected from God, depression, and other symptoms.

It's also a dangerous period in your life since many in your position will seek out another controlling and dangerous cult and join up in order to fill up an "empty" feeling.

I hope that if you are having any of these or similar feelings that you will bring it up here. Lots and lots of people here have had those same feelings, and have successfully dealt with them - and now are very happy, well-adjusted and guilt-free members of society.

I'm not detecting any of the above from what you've written so far, but I just wanted you to know that support is available here if you need it. Don't be bashful. We've all been there in one form or another.

Francoise

• hippikon
    hippikon
    (in the eyes of a polyester slack wearing, mini van driving, anal retentive man whore)

lol Man that guy must get around

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Congradulations!!!!

I agree 100% with Francoise. Get into a therapy program as soon as you can. You are going to have issues that you are going to need help dealing with.

Slipnslideius Masterus: ... Strength and Honor ...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Congratulation Praying Mantis :) Love your name.

About therapy. Of course if you need it, get it. But, really, many, many people leave w/o needing therapy. A listening ear, an understanding, informed shoulder, yeah, but not necessarily therapy. As JT would say, that is what is so great about the net. Glad you found us. Sounds like you have the right attitude already. ;)

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Praying mantis, welcome to reality! It ain't much, but it's all we've got.

For info on the 1975 prediction (and all the many others the WT won't tell you about!), check the links on my home page. I've also got a few tips there for ex-JW's--things I wish somebody had said to me when I left. It's at http://hometown.aol.com/xjwbill/myhomepage/profile.html

BTW, after I left the Lie, over the next 17 years, I saw a number of counselors and therapists for my depression. But none of them, not one, had a clue about my JW experience and how it affected me. By all means, talk to a therapist if you feel you want to--but don't buy into the popular myth that therapy is the answer to every problem in life! IT AIN'T! Some things you just have to live through and work out on your own.

Peace and good wishes. :-)

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

After thinking and reading the above, let me revise my opinion a little bit.

I think that therapy could help in the short term to relieve the immediate symptoms of loss. The denial, anger, bargining, hopelessness and then finally acceptance.

Noone but another ex-JW will really ever understand what you are going through so stay here at the board and post, vent, talk whatever you need to do. We will listen. No "worldly" person has had the years of indoctrination, brainwashing and "education" so they don't even have the slightest idea where to begin.

Slipnslideius Masterus: ... Strength and Honor ...

• JT
    JT

slipslidemaster

Noone but another ex-JW will really ever understand what you are going through so stay here at the board and post, vent, talk whatever you need to do. We will listen. No "worldly" person has had the years of indoctrination, brainwashing and "education" so they don't even have the slightest idea where to begin.

####

i have talked with those who have been to professional help and i agree with you--- ONLY FORMER JW WILL FULLY UNDERSTAND --- and therefore

if one can't find a professional jw to work with the next best thing is a professional who has dealt with persons who have been involved in -- HIGH CONTROL GROUPS-- or they at least try to educate themselves on that issues you as a patient are trying to deal with

PERFECT CASE IN POINT on sat we will be having a dfed sister over for dinnera and we met with her 2weeeks ago for lunch - she has been seeing help for 5yrs now and she has never told the woman SHE USED TO BE A JW - and after we talked to her we told her that is why she keeps telling you and asking you IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE

she was afraid to let her know Damn THINK ABOUT THAT SHE HAS BEEN DFED FOR 5YRS AND WT IS STILL KICKING HER BUTT

so we have turned her on to THIS NET "THANG" and you will not believe the relief she now says she is finally starting to feel

the net is a very important tool in help folks to get a CONFIRMATION that they are not alone or crazy

james

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit