Everything Happens For A Reason

by Charles Gillette 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

Does everything happen for a reason? I hear this from so many people without any explanation as how this is so. What do you think about this belief? I will share an explanation and I would like you to express what you think about it. When bad things happen,for example,accidents,disease,famine,poverty etc. If everything happens for a reason,then some agent must have wanted them to happen.If a person can be fingered for the misfortune,he can be punished or squeezed for damages.If no individual can be singled out,one might blame the nearest ethnic or religious minority,who can be lynched or massacred in a pogrom. If no mortal can plausibly be indicted,one might cast about for witches,who may be burned or drowned. Failing that,one points to sadistic gods,who cannot be punished but can be placated with prayers and sacrifices.And then there are disembodied forces like Karma,fate,spiritual messages,cosmic justice,and other guarantors of the intuition that "everything happens for a reason." Could it be instead that misfortunes may be no ones fault. To which of the above do you ascribe to and why? I myself don'believe that everything happens for a reason,it just is what it is and humans or animals or nature can be the cause of so much suffering and unforeseen things. Yes someone or thing can be at fault. I give credit to Steven Pinker and his new book...Enlightenment Now..The case for Reason,Science,Humanism,and Progress. Everything happens for a reason has always bothered me because i could not give a person who says this to me a clear answer. Thanks to Steven Pinker I can give them something to think about.

By an old time member Blueblades since 2002

• jp1692
    jp1692

No.

Paragraph breaks, please!

By the way, love Pinker. He’s one of my favorite authors.

You should read his book, The Sense of Style.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Well, there are consequences to every action.

So yes, everything happens for a reason. Doesn’t mean it’s always your fault. But it does happen for a reason. There are rational ways to explain everything that happens, even if that explanation is that someone was being irrational.

When ANYTHING happens, ask yourself, “Why did this happen?” You’ll always have an answer of some kind to that question. That answer is called a “reason” something happened.

Can you name one thing that didn’t have a “reason” for occurring?

• cofty
    cofty

Shit happens

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fantastic post....very eloquently put!

We owe so much to the enlightenment which dragged Europe out of the dark ages, yet if you asked most witnesses they wouldnt have a clue.

And no, I dont believe that things outside of our control happen for a reason. Its particularly unpleasant when people claim this or that person contracted some illness or disease, such as cancer, for 'a reason'.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Everything happens for a reason. Physics is the study of those reasons.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Causes and reasons are not synonymous, particularly in the context of this type of discussion.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

There are two thoughts going on here.

One is that people are using it to explain "fate" or direct manipulation from some mystical source that provides a "lesson" or makes an example of you. "I was born deformed so that I could learn to be humble or inspire others" etc.

The other is the cause and effect.

I thought the topic involved the second. My mistake.

• jp1692
    jp1692

OneEyedJoe: Everything happens for a reason. Physics is the study of those reasons.

No, it is not.

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the structure of matter and the interactions between the fundamental constituents of the observable universe. It is based on empirical observations and measurable data with reproducible results.

It is most definitely NOT a bullshit, pseudoscience that tries to come up with contradictory, exaggerated or unfalsifiable claims, mistaken and illogical support for the nonsensical belief that "everything happens for a reason."

Just don't.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    Jehalepeno: Can you name one thing that didn’t have a “reason” for occurring?

Yes. I could easily name hundreds, maybe more if I thought about it for a while.

Here’s just one off the top of my head:

• Light behaves as both a particle and a wave and yet it is actually neither. Why is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit