Vegemite vs. Marmite

by RAYZORBLADE 22 Replies latest social humour

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

OK folks!

You think you've got controversy in a nutshell, eh?

Well, you're wrong!

Let me throw my hat into the ring.

This discussion is nothing new.

BUT.....I have to tell you folks, my loyalties lie with the Australians folks.

'Oh but Vegemite and Marmite are the same' - WRONG!

I've tried both, neither one killed me, but I have to give Vegemite the 2 thumbs up

I've tried it on toast, crumpets, English muffins, etc., and my preference is for my colonialist brethren/sistren (is there such a word?).

Anyways, the only annoying thing is, I can only get the small jars of either here in Canada. But when I found out my local supermarket stocked Vegemite: I was nearly beside myself.

This is one Canuck, born n' raised, that gives Vegemite, a vote of overwhelming confidence.

Marmite, I'll eat it, but only if there's absolutely no Vegemite around within 10 sq. kms.

OK folks, the mitts are off.

Who is gonna win this one?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hate to tell you this, but I'm a 5th generation Aussie, and I hate Vegemite

It's even worse than Marmite.

BTW, a childhood snack is Vegemite and cheese on a Sao biscuit. And guess what? You can now buy sticks of "vegemite and cheese" (similar to cheese sticks) !!!

• Matty
    Matty

I think Vegemite is nicer in a sandwich and Marmite is better on toast. Marmite is much stronger and more bitter than Vegemite and should certainly not be spread to the same thickness.

If you find cheese on toast somewhat bland spread either Marmite or Vegemite on the toast before you put the cheese on and it will add a little zing and bring out the flavour. I can't eat cheese on toast without it.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken
    Vegemite vs Marmite
    Interviewer: Chris Welsh
    Wednesday, 27 March 2002

For many Aussies Vegemite is the real thing, the original sandwich spread, but it may come as a surprise to find out that it wasn't the first. Marmite is this year celebrating its 100th birthday making it the original sandwich spread.

Since it was first developed in the UK there have been many imitators of this yeast extract, which people either love or hate.

There is fierce debate across the globe as to which product is the best.

So we thought we'd put the products to the test!

Fading Pom Michael Lund went head-to-head in a tastebud challenge with True Blue Aussie Phil Smith - the aim to see if they could pick their favourite spread from the rivals.

We gave them four to chose from - Marmite, Vegemite, a New Zealand made Marmite and Promite.

Could they tell the difference? Could they pick their favourite?http://www.abc.net.au/queensland/stories/s515779.htm

alt

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Ray:

You don't know what you've just let yourself in for. You think you do, but you don't. You really have no idea. Trust me, you don't. Am I getting the message across here?

Expatbrit, buying Marmite in bulk for the next time he meets Ray.

p.s. No you don't know.

p.p.s NO YOU DON'T!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I've always wanted to know what vegemite is.... My only exposure to it has been that excellent Men At Work song.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Searching google showed me this really funny site:

http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    but I have to give Vegemite the 2 thumbs up

Ray, Ray Ray.

I've had vegemite. I thought poi was the worst tasting thing I ever tried to eat. Then I tried vegemite. Oh my GOD! I'd rather have my teeth drilled.

Now let's talk sushi. Albacore tuna is my favourite. Had some yesterday. Yum yum

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

Marmite mmmmmmmm

I haven't had that in years. I loved it as a kid though, vegamite i have never sampled.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

This from my daughter who just returned from 16 days in Australia regarding Vegemite:

"It wasn't too bad, had they not put it on stale bread. But, what I remember the most about it was that it was SALTY"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit