JW funeral! Help!

by smurfette 21 Replies latest jw friends

• smurfette
    smurfette

My grandma died yesterday. I love her very much and miss her terribly. She joined the JW's late in life after years of my mom coaxing her to join. My grandma was one of the few JW's who still loved me and would not disown me and, although she was sad because she thought I was going to be killed at armageddon, she never was preachy. She was a truly kind loving person and very non-judgemental. Definitely not the norm for the religion she chose to join. Now she is gone and I have to go to the kingdom hall for the first time in years for her memorial. Last time was for my grandpa's funeral and my mother asked me to leave before the wake so I wouldn't make the brothers and sisters uncomfortable. I did leave because I didn't want Grandma to be hurt by how they were going to treat me she had enough to deal with in losing her husband. I know mom is going to ask me to do the same now and I will not leave this time. I don't know how I'm going to make it through without blowing up at an elder or the first person who says they're going to meet again in the new system while staring at me. Their comfort in their faith I see as a good thing, their trying to make me feel sad because I don't share their faith is what gets to me. I want to be there for my 2 remaining "worldly" uncles and my non believing cousins and brother. I've already had to "translate" for the "worldlies" as they wanted to have the service on a Sunday morning and my mom blew up when an uncle asked if they could just suspend the watchtower meeting for 1 day. Anyway before this post gets any longer, does anyone out there have any words of advice for dealing with JW relatives in a time like this? Any personal experiences?

-Margy

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    I don't know how I'm going to make it through without blowing up at an elder

Why would you want to make it through without blowing up at an elder? If he does something to deserve it, let him have it. She was your grandma. You have a right to be at her funeral.

or the first person who says they're going to meet again in the new system while staring at me.

Repeat after me, "It's nice that you believe that." And walk away. If they give you any shit whatsoever, repeat our mantra...She was your grandma. You have a right to be at her funeral.

You could stick close to your non-JW uncles...not only may you be less likely to get any shit (not infront of the 'worldlies)...but if you do get any shit, your uncles will be there to see it and stand up for you.

(Edited to add [geez how stupid am I?]: I am so sorry about the loss of your grandma. I adored mind so much, she's been gone almost 10 years and I still miss her)

• badolputtytat
    badolputtytat

Smurfette, I am sorry for your loss. Grandmothers are special.

What was said to you at your grandfather's service caught my attention. "my mother asked me to leave the wake so I wouldn't make the brothers and sisters feel uncomfortable".... I am sorry, but this is horrible. You go there and hold your head up girl. Their comfort is irrelevant right now. Any mention of your faith or your religious choices, is out of place.. and these people should know that. I hope you don't stand there and let them talk down to you, or use this as an excuse to preach at you. That is the most cold-hearted and un-loving thing I can think of to do to someone. It is selfish of anyone to use someone's loss in this way.

While I think it would be an inappropriate time and place to do battle with the "brothers and sisters".... don't let them bully you. This service is for YOU not them. If you can, bring a close friend, so that you don't find yourself standing alone in a corner, feeling even more vulnerable.

My family, will think of you this weekend, and wish you comfort, and strength.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Margy, I guess the Watch Tower group doesn't have funerals anymore. My wife's mother died in 01 and I went to her memorial meeting with my wife at a funeral home put on by the JW group. Nobody shunned me or snubbed me that I remember except my son. I am about as high profile apostate type you will find in these parts. I went to the lunch with them all after the service and they were friendly to me. I have no fear of them and maybe they sensed that, I don't know. There was nobody there who could have out flipped me in a linguistic exchange anyway.

Ron Frye wrote an article about going to his mother's funeral but I can't find it now. There is just this paragraph on the Beacon site.

In January, 1995, Ron's mother died. He was allowed to attend the memorial service, which was held in a Kingdom Hall in Tucson, Arizona. Arrangements were made for him to stay in a motel. He was bold beforehand that there would be absolutely no socializing either before or after that memorial service, and they were true to their word. Nevertheless, Ron was able to see, for a few fleeting moments, his grandchildren whom he had not seen since 1981, and has not seen since. Mavis did not attend. http://www.xjw.com/ronmavis.html

• SisterLiz
    SisterLiz

SMURFETTE, this is a really difficult time for you as it is. I completely agree with ASLEIF. You go there, hold your head up high, stick with your worldly family members. If anyone starts getting preachy with you just cut them off and say "This isn't the time or place to be preaching to me, I would much rather if you left me alone". Show them you're not intimidated by them. You have every right to be there. Religion shouldn't even be an issue. I'm sorry for your loss, I know exactly how it feels to lose a beloved grandparent. We'll be thinking of you, so think of us if you begin to get uncomfortable. Remember, you know something they don't, they're living a lie.

• smurfette
    smurfette

Thank you Asleif--&--PuttyTat I feel stronger already. Thank you for your kindness.

Gary- Thank you for your story & advice. As for the watchtower not doing funerals anymore I don't know. The funeral is this monday at a kingdom hall with an elder giving the memorial service. It might explain why we're burying her first before the service though. We've (the ex & non JW's) all been kind of confused about that.

-Margy

• garybuss
    garybuss

Sorry for your loss and the mess with JW rites. Here's Ron's article. http://www.xjw.com/ron-mom.html

My mother died this past January and I traveled to Tucson, Arizona to attend a memorial service for her in a local Kingdom Hall. She had been a loyal and devoted Jehovah's Witness for 55 years. I hadn't seen her since being disfellowshipped in 1981. She and her sister, together with my daughter and her family moved from Minnesota to Tucson in 1994. The only family member that I had seen since 1981 was my daughter, but those two occasions were not planned and very, very brief. I realized that by attending my mother's memorial service I would have to deal with the reality of family alienation. Despite the problems and emotional difficulties I knew the trip would entail, I decided that I ought to go out of respect for my mother. I did not want to be like them and shun an important and intimate event. I knew I would need a greater measure of God's spirit to see me through this experience. Above all else, I wanted to reflect a genuine Christian spirit. If they were going to further demonize me I wanted it to be due to their spirit and not mine. I prayed about this often and asked my local community of believers to pray that I would be sustained by the spirit of Christ in all of this.

When my family knew I planned to come they said that they would have someone meet me and take me to a motel. I was told that they had a family meeting and decided there would be no socializing either before or after the service. I flew into Tucson about noon Monday, January 22, not knowing who would meet me. As it turned out it was my oldest grandson, Andrew, whom I hadn't seen since he was eleven-years-old, and my granddaughter's husband, Thomas, whom I had never met. I barely recognized Andrew but I could see traces of the boy on the man's face. He was polite and asked how his grandmother was but there was no display of affection. They drove me to a local motel where they had obtained a reservation for me. After I paid for the room Andrew said his parents would drop by later.

In the afternoon I got a call from the lobby saying my daughter and her husband were coming up to my room. As I waited I prayed again for a measure of God's spirit. On one of those occasions mentioned above I had impulsively hugged Jamie. I later learned that gesture of affection made her very uncomfortable. I decided I would not make that mistake again. When they knocked on the door I let them in and stepped back but Jamie did come forward and gave me a hug and I hugged her back. It only took a moment but it helped to melt away years of separation. Jamie had brought a small box of some things my mother had saved to see if there was anything I might want. She also brought some fruit and snacks for me. I appreciated the kindly gesture. We had a pleasant visit and after about 20 or 30 minutes they left. I learned that they were both pioneering and that Andrew had been at the Watchtower Farm for the past six years. They said their son-in-law, Thomas, would pick me up and take me to the Kingdom Hall that evening.

It was a curious experience to walk into a Kingdom Hall after so many years. It was quite full of people and I looked around to see if I could recognize my other grandchildren. Matthew, the youngest, was only three-years-old when I last saw him. He is now eighteen. I was only able to say hello to him but not much more. The nicest moment came when I saw my granddaughter, Francisca. She came over and gave me a loving embrace. We held on to each other for a long moment. She had become a very attractive and gracious woman. She led me to her little girl, Mesha, and introduced me to her as Papa, a term she had always used for me as a child. She was just entering her teen years the last time I saw her.

The first row of seats had been set aside for the family of my mother and I was seated at one end next to my daughter. My mother's sister, LuCreatia, sat at the other end and had made it clear that she didn't want to speak to me. She was the only one who drew this hard line. I felt sad for her because she and my mother had been very close. The elder gave a kindly review of my mother's life as a Witness. He pointed out that in all her 55 years as a Witness she never failed to report time! She had hoped to survive Armageddon, he said, but that was not to be. He told his audience that when she is resurrected they would have to tell her what Armageddon was like. I had to smile to myself at this. His eulogy was laced with references to my mother's devotion to Jehovah and his organization, citing examples of this. But made it a point to say he was not eulogizing her. This, too, reminded me of the Witness mindset. After singing a closing song the little service was ended. My mother had directed that she be cremated immediately so there was no reviewal. There was a small table set up with her picture on it together with a guest book. On the way out of the Kingdom Hall I paused to look at the picture and sign the book.

My daughter and her husband, Frank, drove me back to my motel. They got out of the car and we said our goodbyes. I hugged Jamie a final time and asked my son-in-law if he would be offended if I hugged him. He said he wouldn't be offended so I hugged him as well. Then, they were gone. True to their word, there had been no socializing either before or after the memorial service. Their collective consciences had allowed them to briefly show me a measure of human kindness but that door was only opened briefly and was now securely closed once more.

The following morning Thomas drove me to the airport. He and I spoke easily and I found myself liking him and feeling good about him being the husband of Francisca. I had been in Tucson less than twenty-four hours and only parts of several of those hours involved contacts with my family. I hardly had time to digest the experience. It was just a breath of time and yet filled with healing for me. Throughout the whole experience I felt a spiritual security and comfort that enabled me to focus on the needs of others. I know that dealing with me was not easy for my family under the circumstances. There are those among them who have affection for me but do not feel free to express that fully. They really do believe I have turned against Jehovah God. I understand that. They are not the enemy. The enemy are those 'strongholds of arguments and pretensions that set themselves up against the knowledge of God,' (2 Cor. 10:4-6) I am grateful for having been delivered from a religious community that has created a gospel that goes beyond the true gospel of Jesus Christ and is destructive in many ways. But I feel compassion for those who remain caught in its web. I pray that Christ will have mercy towards them. I know my mother loved God with all her heart and was faithful to her perception of what His will for her was. I must let the matter rest there.

I feel a sense of relief and comfort knowing my mother's journey has come to a close. Her future judgment rests with One supremely qualified to make that judgment on her. A text that has always been a comfort to me in this respect is Isaiah 11:3,4 "He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears; but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth." I find comfort in knowing our Lord's insight transcends human limitations. At this time it is sufficient for me to focus on my life in Christ. Do I reflect his spirit? Am I growing into a fuller measure of what it means to be a Christian? I want to live out what remains of my life waging the war that Christ would have me engaged in and keeping in mind: "...we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."--2 Cor. 10:3-5 NIV. That warfare is fought on two fronts: One internal and one external.

--Ron Frye (1996)

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    You go there, hold your head up high, stick with your worldly family members.

Not only stick with them, ask them to stick with you!

If you are already playing the "friendly native guide" for their encounter with the JW mindset, then you can briefly explain to them about the shunning, if they don't already know, the fact that your mom asked you to not attend your grandpa's wake, if they don't already know, and asking them to stick by you and stick up for you.

I know if it was my brother, uncles or cousins, they would be mad as hell about this and would be glad to run interference for me. I know I could count on even the uncles I don't know as well, to do this for me. Hope yours are the same.

• talesin
    talesin

so sorry you have lost your grandmother. I still miss mine after many years.

{{{{{smurfette}}}}}

when my grandfather died a few years ago, i went to the visitation at the funeral home. although he was not a jw, they decided to have a jw funeral since almost all of the family is in the cult. Everyone there shunned me, except for my parents and my 'favorite' aunt. she came up to me and gave me a big hug and told me how much she missed me. I told her that it was her choice since I was only a phone call away. the emotion was too much for me, so i ended up leaving after that encounter.

I applaud your courage in standing up and going to the funeral to honour your grandmother and 'translate' for your relatives who are not jw. Will think of you on Monday

• rocketman
    rocketman

Smurfette, I am sorry for your loss. It's always rough losing a dear relative like a grandmother.

Vivamus has a very similar experience and posted about it here some time ago. Perhaps she'll see this thread; or maybe you'd like to PM her. She had some of the same concerns that you mention.

Things may go okay - so much depends on the personalities of the jw involved and how seriously they take the whole 'shunning' thing. I do think your mom should be thinking about your welfare and feelings more than that of the 'brothers and sisters' who may feel uncomfy, but of course, you well know they jw mindset.

Best wishes and again I send my condolences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit