How many want out?

by ignored_one 13 Replies latest jw friends

• integ
    integ

PIPH,

I hope you have a good wedding. I'm sure you will enjoy the part when the "speaker" talks about how a woman should honor her husband, conduct herself as a "lesser one" etc. And then comes the obligatory part when the speaker turns to the husband and says "Don't think you're going to get off that easy"...And the crowd let's out the obligatory muffled chuckles..HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA that's so freaking funny Mr. Speaker, it's only the 1,000th time I've heard the same lame old joke. Anyway, congratulations.

Integ.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I still go to the meetings for the sake of family but I don't beleive any of it anymore.

I went through periods of time when I would think: Oh my God what if they are god's channel. As of now I have know doubts whatsoever that they are NOT God's channel.

Yes I want out, but its easier said than done. I know that my family, being the loyal dubs that they are would shun me in an instant.

I am happy though to be mentally liberated from the borg. They don't have the hold on me they used to. At the meetings I usually tune everything out and do my Bible reading. I fake service. And when I am in company of other jws I don't have to appear "spiritual". None of them really are and seldom bring up any spiritual topic.

Some on this board may feel that this is cowardice. Maybe it is. But one day I know I will be out completely and I will close a very long chapter in my life and move on.

wannaexit

• Piph
    Piph
    PIPH,

I hope you have a good wedding. I'm sure you will enjoy the part when the "speaker" talks about how a woman should honor her husband, conduct herself as a "lesser one" etc. And then comes the obligatory part when the speaker turns to the husband and says "Don't think you're going to get off that easy"...And the crowd let's out the obligatory muffled chuckles..HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA that's so freaking funny Mr. Speaker, it's only the 1,000th time I've heard the same lame old joke. Anyway, congratulations.

Integ.

LOL Thanks.

Actually, I picked a pretty cool elder...we're going to try to get him not to use the outline.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I was brought up as a JW, all my friends were JWs, my immediate family were JWs and my workmates knew I was a JW. I was fully into being a JW.

When I began to start thinking for myself and realised I wanted to leave, it wasn't easy. I had no non-JW friends I could turn to, I was afraid of being shunned by my family, I didn't know what to expect in that big bad world that we had been warned not to go near.

But sometimes, if you know that what you are doing is something you have to do, in order to be happy and stay sane, you will find a way of doing it. It does take a huge amount of emotional strength and conviction to get over the hurdles but anything worth doing takes some kind of effort. It's a lonely transition to make. I've lost my entire social world and have had to make new friends. I spend more Saturday nights at home alone now, but at least I don't have to worry about going out in service, attending meetings, or pretending to believe in things I don't believe in anymore.

There is no way I would go back. But I can understand why some still stay in even though they know it's not "the Truth". To make life-changing decisions cannot be done overnight, and it's especially hard if you are married or have kids that are JWs.

My thoughts go out to anyone who is in this position. I know what it's like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit