NWT 1984 vs NWT 2013

by Tallon 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tallon
    Tallon

I recently had a discussion with a JW concerning a change in wording of a scripture - in fact this was my all time favourite scripture, namely, Micah 6:8.

My view is that the WTBTS have deliberately changed the wording and meaning of the said scripture. The other person is of the opinion that that is not the case.

Micah 6:8

1984 translation reads; "He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God."

2013 translation (Silver Sword) reads; "He has told you, O man, what is good. And what is Jehovah requiring of you? Only to exercise justice, to cherish loyalty, And to walk modesty with your God!

So I'm asking what is your view? Am I right, or is the other person right?

• Della Street
    Della Street

What was the original word used in that case? The only way to know is to look it up: Here is a link to a list of various versions Bible Gateway

• kairos
    kairos

I am baffled that John 8:1-12 was removed from their bible.

It's a verse that makes judging and shunning impossible if you claim to be Christian.

http://biblehub.com/john/8-7.htm

• Spiral
    Spiral

Kindness and loyalty are not the same thing.

I did a quick google search of various translations and it's interesting how this scripture varies. That, in itself, reveals a problem with trying to be sure what the bible says. I'm not familiar with this website but it lists a lot of different versions, I would hope it is accurate.

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Micah%206:8

Edit to add: Della, we are on the same page!

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    My view is that the WTBTS have deliberately changed the wording and meaning of the said scripture

Of course they changed this deliberately. Unless he JW wants to argue that the new NWT translation is the product of chance and accidents?

The real question is: did they change it because the new translation fits the meaning of the original text better, or did they change it to make their translation back up their efforts to retain members?

The best way to find out is to check this verse in many other translations, look up the meaning of the original words in a bible dictionary or reference, and look up other verses with the same original word and see how those are translated (e.g. use Strongs numbers and a concordance).

Happy hunting.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It was a very telling tweak. I think they based the Be Loyal regional convention on this verse.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Micah 6:8 No loyalty mentioned in Strong's concordance

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I did a check at: http://biblehub.com/interlinear/micah/6.htm

It says, "And humbly covenant loyalty and to love justly to do" for that part of the verse.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This is my all time favourite point to bring up when discussing the NWT change. I was going to make a YouTube video on it but it never happened.

Basically, the term "loyalty" can kinda sorta be used, but the WT society have obscured the full meaning. It's referring to loyal love. The kind of loyal love one has to ones family, not blind loyalty to an organization.

• TD
    TD

Am I right, or is the other person right?

You're right.

--And the JW preference for the word, "loyalty" should be a no-brainer

Here's a small sampling of other translations:

mercy - NIV
    mercy - KJV21
    mercy - BRG
    mercy - CEV
    mercy - DR
    mercy - JUB
    mercy - KJV
    mercy - NKJV
    mercy - NLT