Why would JW's take money from someone they shun?

by unbeliever 18 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I'm not surprised at all. When I was a JW, I had no problem accepting a "Christmas bonus" at work.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Reborn, your story is so awful. It angers me and I don't even know them!

It's weird with my JW sister. I think she's one of a kind. She actually sends my little son gifts but wont speak to me. I send her thank you cards *by him* not me and I hear she gets teary eyed when she reads them and hears about him.

I can't figure it out. Why does she purposely inflict this on herself when I'm not even df or da? I mean she can come over and see him any time she wants.

On the other hand, if I were to try to give her money, my stakes is that she wouldn't accept it.

My MIL or SIL/BIL on the other hand would be there in a heartbeat with their palms open. Go figure...

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yeah there is nothing special about dubs when it comes to money. When they know that money is involved they line right up like pigs at a trough to get their share.

Will

• Swan
    Swan

In all fairness, I have two brothers who owed me money when I DAed myself.

One brother avoided paying me, even though I encountered him in an expensive seafood restaurant on the coast and driving away in new truck. When he declared bankruptcy, he included me in his list of creditors. I have "worldly" friends who I tell this story to who are shocked by this. They just can't believe the gall of a person that would list a family member in a bankruptcy.

I am over the anger that I had about that though. It's only money. I would much rather have them back in my lives than the money. Who knows, maybe it will happen some day.

My other brother, who does not have a lot financially either, paid back the money little by little. Sometimes it was $100.00. Sometimes it was $25.00. I appreciated the effort that he made and personally think he did a very honorable thing. But even then, it wasn't the money. I appreciated the connection, and the fact that they were thinking about me every month for a while. I sure miss that. Again, I would much rather have them back in my lives. Maybe some day.

sigh

Tammy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hey c'mon, give'm a break. If a witness can get a df'd or da'd person to actually pay for their pioneering, it's like getting a leg over on the Prince of Darkness himself!

• Room 215
    Room 215

If they can in good conscience own stock in a company that supplies critical equipment to the military and that makes cigarettes, how does that answer your question?

• l3gi0n
    l3gi0n

My wife was D/F, but her father calls from time to time, he has borrowed money, and not paid it back, he also asks for us to drive errands for him, that are a few hundred miles, from time to time, and he never turns downs the gifts I bring. It gets under my skin a little because the only time he calls is when he needs a favor. He is the PO, so I guess it is up to him to set the example.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah, odd... after I was DAed my brother decided that the need of money was worth breaking the shunning... I haven't seen a penny of it yet.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Very interesting accounts. I have no experiences to add, but I do think this is an interesting thread. I guess when it comes to money, the 'rules' suddenly change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit