Why Do You No Longer Believe in God?

by Tenacious 212 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

faith in something bigger, grander, more fulfilling than our current life

meh. Faith shrinks a persons perspective, it reduces this amazing cosmos to a construct and diminishes life's possibilities. Faith is not a virtue, it licenses bigotry, ignorance and hatred.

• Cota Samuel
    Cota Samuel
    These days I've been keep telling myself that just because we are alive and do not know what's the purpose of everything doesn't allow us to tell ourselves there is a Sky-Daddy as long as there is no clear evidence. In fact, all the information we as a species ever gather is through the experiences we have in this life. If for example I believe in God X my whole life and do rituals everyday to please him becuz either i was trained to think we are more special than animals and we have an afterlife/ im ignorant ,absolutely no mystic or outer source (eg. voice from the heavens/visions) will tell me "Yo, Sam. You remember these last xx years? Well you wasted your time cuz it wasn't the right thing to do because God X never existed".
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

For me it's not that I have incontrovertible proof to demonstrate that no god(s) exist, it's just that in most cases I've come across the "proof" that god does exist is only really proof of anything if you're not imaginative enough and dedicated enough to come up with alternative (and in most cases far simpler and more satisfying) explanations for things that are typically explained as being due to god.

In some cases there are things we still don't fully understand, but looking at the past progression of science every time someone hits a problem and throws up their hands and says "well it must be god that's making this work!" we later find and understand the mechanism behind it. Given the trend, it seems likely that as our knowledge of the universe progresses there will be nothing left that someone can claim god was responsible for. Or at the very least, the things that people will claim god is responsible for will have to be wholly different from what they currently claim he's done.

Given the trends, I feel that I can say with a high degree of certainty that there is no supreme being out there, and if there is they certainly aren't deserving of my worship based on a few ancient religious texts. The god of the bible least of all.

• Simon
    Simon

Why don't you believe in any of the thousands of other gods who's books weren't such bestsellers or any of the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of other literary inventions?

Why have you picked that god from that one particular book as being the one true one? Because that book says it was written by the one true one? Because you parents picked it?

I prefer to base my belief or disbelief in something in as much rationality as possible. There is simply no evidence whatsoever that the biblical god is real and a massive amount that he isn't.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The need to feel in control of our complex and frighting world leads humans

to see order where it does not necessarily exists. So, the anthropomorphic

projection of human mind everywhere around led to pantheistic religion.

OK, I read this. But it does have a ring of truth.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

The most basic philosophy course for starters

The bible is utter giberish

The cruelty of the natural world

All earth religons'have created god in mans' image and with his behaviours

evolution rules out the abrahamic religons

If there is a god he's entirely 'hands off' & would not be intetested in our worship or he would be an egotistical needy type which is not possible if he knows even half of what humanity knows

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Because no one can give me even the smallest reason to do so.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I liked to think the almighty creator would be better than the inherent lies and imaginative bullshit that mankind throughout history has done to envision and identify this creator.

Since that's all mankind really has accomplished so far, I have no choice but to stick with investigative science for answers to the world in which we live in, unless something else appears in a psychical form..

All the gods ever imagined throughout human history were drawn out of ignorance of the world in which we live in and as a hope that these heavenly agents would help are experience in are struggles to survive.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

This is how much I believe in what you folks are calling 'God'

The gospel according to my homeboy, Xenu

To cure overpopulation in his Galactic Confederacy, Xenu drugged and paralyzed billions of people after first summoning them for tax inspections, and froze them in ethylene glycol (antifreeze). Then he flew the paralysed people to Teegeack (the name Earth had then, according to LRH) in interstellar rocket planes, which looked like DC-8s, but without jet engines. He stacked them round volcanoes and killed them with hydrogen bombs lowered into the volcanoes.

Take that in for a second.

In Scientology, people are surrounded, covered even, by souls called thetans which cause people to use drugs, get depressed and enjoy Tom Cruise movies. Xenu didn't want the thetans to reincarnate, so he forced them to watch confusing films with horrible lies for thirty-six days. The poor thetans were told they were God, the Devil and Christ. They were all these things together. And they were confused so they believed it. Then the souls left the cinema and started clumping together. And today these souls are clumped round you and me and everyone else. And we can’t get rid of them unless we pay the Scientologists thousands and thousands of pounds, dollars, or euros. It's worth noting that belief in this movie story would require that Christianity be considered nothing more than a delusion picked-up while watching a movie. This contradicts the Scientology claim that their business is compatible with Christianity.

Unfortunately for the Evil Lord Xenu, L. Ron Hubbard made a wonderful discovery: once you have signed over your life savings to the Church of Scientology and gone through thousands of hours of "auditing" sessions with an E-Meter, you can be "clear" of all the "engrams" affecting your subconscious (reactive mind). There are many of these "engrams" stored in each person's brain and auditing just keeps on uncovering more of them going all the way back through all your past lives to the time of the Evil Lord Xenu. This is just the first step. Having been freed from the reactive mind, the "clear" can then go on to become an Operating Thetan, with immense powers to control space, matter, and time.

To become an Operating Thetan, of course, means giving more money to the Church of Scientology and going through several more levels of training. Only during the OTIII (Operating Thetan III) training is a person deemed fit to be told of the above story about Xenu, ethylene glycol, and the volcanoes. OTIII is a very dangerous process and the information revealed in it is deadly to somebody not prepared to handle it. Anyone who has read the above without first going through all the levels is at grave risk of death or pneumonia. Oops, you already read it, didn't you? If you believe all that, Scientology has a "bridge" to sell you, and it ain't cheap.

All the same crazy

In rational terms, logic and evidence appears to dictate that there almost certainly is no requirement for God to exist in the monotheistic sense, and it can be argued that the existence of God leads to logical contradictions.

So you see what you have to do to believe...

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    Because the more I learn about the universe, the more I understand about our world, the less likely it seems that a god or that gods exist. At first, I tried to reconcile my theistic upbringing with science, by thinking maybe God is what triggered the Big Bang and Evolution. Then, I realized that only my emotions were making me think that way, and that there's no rational reason to think that way. So, after all, why would I? Think of it this way. If since you were born nobody ever talked to you about this concept of God. Nobody brainwashed you from the earliest age by constantly telling you about this invisible deity. If you had simply just learned about the world and the universe as we understand it today, without any religious intervention, would you have had any reason to come up on your own with this concept of God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit