Why Do You No Longer Believe in God?

by Tenacious 212 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

I don't think God exists... yet.

See: The law of accelerated returns

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I can’t say if A God exists so it doesn't matter if I believe or not. To me that question is not the important question to ask.

The question I ask myself is, “If there is a God, does God Care for me and my family, and will He rescue us from death.”

What does creation teach us about God?

“To sustain itself nearly all life, except the least living elements of life, kills and eats other life. If not this, then it consumes biological matter at the expense of other living beings.

The fight for food is also a case of living beings being required to outdo each other merely to survive.

If life was created, this is surely the worst possible way to have created life. It appears very much that life cannot survive without causing suffering for other life.

A god could not have created a more vicious cycle if it tried:

Tying the very existence of life with the necessary killing of other life is the work of an evil genius, not of an all-powerful and all-loving god, that could choose if it wanted to sustain all life immediately and forever with manna from heaven.”

So if God does exists, whether I believe or not, he is not an all loving, merciful, compassionate being, who is going to save me and my family from death, but instead He is pure evil who delights in seeing us go through pain when we see our spouse die of cancer, or our children get killed by some maniac, or the sadness that goes through our mind when we see our bodies get old and wrinkle and we finally take our last breath.

This God can’t even answer a few simple questions that billions of humans throughout history have been fervently praying for answers.

Why is there so much suffering? What happens when we die? Do you exist?

Those are simple questions that an omnipotent – Benevolent -Omniscience, God could answer very easily if he was a God of LOVE.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    To answer the OP: I don't believe in God because there is no evidence to support that belief.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Because things which don't exist - and thing for which there is no evidence - appear identical.

That's why it takes evidence and reason to move us from a lack of belief in something to belief.

Or, to put it in slightly more pithy terms: Having no good reason to believe something is at least one good reason not to believe it.

• bradford
    bradford

I believe there are as many "god's" as there are people. Whether you see whatever "it" is as a God or a power or something scientific, at some point there was nothing, then there was something.

To each person what you believe is unique to your experiences, upbringing, and thinking process.

The problem comes in when trying to turn something that is unique into a "system" of belief that controls how people think and act or when you believe something that will impel you to do something detrimental to society.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Everybody has pretty much covered this however here are a couple of observations........... first Eric Hoffer: “It is startling to realize how much unbelief is necessary to make belief possible.”

Raymond Franz quoting a statesman: "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

And finally "Silence is the language of God........ all else is a bad translation." Rumi 13th-century Persian poet and theologian.

• talesin
    talesin

Though I didn't get to finish High School (as a kid), I loved science, and learned about evolution in school. Also, I questioned how God could LOVE us, and allow us to suffer so much.

When I left the JWS, at age 18, I investigated other beliefs (Xtianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Daoism, etc.), and realized that John Lennon "God is a concept by which we measure our pain" and Marx "the opium of the people" were right. By my early 20s, I was over it. It was an easy transition for me. : )

• Heaven
    Heaven

Why do you no longer believe in God?

Which God are you referring to?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

......... because I found a better semblance of truth in science

The gods created throughout ancients times are too much into killing to resolve problems ,

that simply isn't humanitarian.

• cofty
    cofty

What Heaven said.

The word god means so many unrelated things it has no meaning without some context.

The creator god of christian theism does not exist. It is an impossibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit