First Visit to KH in 1 year - Observations...

by Confucious 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Confucious
    Confucious

Hey guys,

Went to the KH for the first time in about a year.

I went in part because I have a couple of friends there (I'm not DF or DA).

Good or bad, here were my observations...

1) People were generally friendly, but it seems (and honestly) that most of the friendly ones were the ones considered "spiritually weak" by KH standards.

2) It's pretty sad how much the "F and D Slave" is actually worshiped.

It seemed that every other Watchtower comment was geared toward praising, "Jehovah's FAITHFUL slave., etc." Also how great and wonderful these brothers are.

3) After reading the techniques by C of Conscience, it's pretty neat how you could really see through the Watchtower.

Reading "CLEARLY Jehovah is using his modern day visible organization."

Before I would have said, "Of course. But now it's like, where do you get that from?"

• teejay
    teejay

Confucious,

Most of us here can relate to your experience. I chuckled when you quoted the "CLEARLY Jehovah is using..." line. Based on what, watchtower writer? Too funny.

Poignant, too, is the observation that those that are viewed as "weaker" (read: not yet fully programmed) were friendlier than the others. The sad part about it is the longer people soak in that kind of intolerant, judgmental environment, the less human (and humane) they become. Give 'em time.

For the sake of my daughter, I keep threatening to visit a hall, but can't seem to bring myself to do it. Maybe one of these days...

BTW, welcome to the board!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thanks for the sight C. BTW did you get your shots before you returned to the jungle? Maverick

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Another eye opener is if you read any books on cult mind control, you can see how the dubs use this in their congregational meetings. For example, the thing you mentioned about how they look up to a man made organization for guidance i.e. the comments about the FDS class. That is one definition of a cult, whether they look only to a man or group of men for guidance and anything outside of this information source is classified as being evil or form the Devil. David Hassam has some good books written on this subject on cult mind control,

Will

• Confucious
    Confucious

Will,

You are right. More than anything, it's amazing that I never seen it before.

It seems that they have no faith in Jesus to motivate hearts.

I was talking to an elder about how I never got a shepparding call.

He said that, we'll it's hard to encourage someone when then don't go to the meetings.

I told him that it was the responsibility of the sheppard to see the lost sheep. Not the other way around.

Then he said, well I'm so busy (he's a pioneer). Then he says, I wish the Society (or whatever it's called today) had a position for a FULL TIME SHEPHARD. Someone who only sheppards the sheep.

I didn't think of it quick enough, but I wanted to say, "what is stopping you???"

Their worship is so structured.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

No one ever made a shepherding call on me either. I hadn't attended a meeting in over a year, and received only 1 phone call, and that was to see if I had any time to report.. My son went to a birthday party, and someone told the elders. They suddenly found the time to contact me. Then they wouldn't stop contacting me until I agreed to meet with them.

Their worship is structured because it is not worship at all. Worship comes from the heart, and it is directed towards God. In the organization it comes from policy and is directed towards the "fds" That's why it's empty. That's why there's no love..

Coffee

• Confucious
    Confucious

Coffee,

Althought I really enjoyed seeing some of my old friends, I'm pretty tired of people saying, "boo hoo, pitty you."

I try to tell those who will listen that my spirituality is stronger than maybe ever before. In fact is is so strong that I don't feel a need to comform.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Then he said, well I'm so busy (he's a pioneer). Then he says, I wish the Society (or whatever it's called today) had a position for a FULL TIME SHEPHARD. Someone who only sheppards the sheep.

LOL, he wants a pastor!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Wow, confucious. The comment from the elder about having a full time shepherd is one of those forehead smackingly dumb comments that should be framed.

Here is another: A past friend of mine had an uncle high up in Bethel; he made the comment sarcastically that people love the truth, but not witnessing. If we would eliminate the witnessing for those slackers, we could double our numbers overnight.

Think about that idea for a minute. Let's see; eliminate the irritating knock on saturday mornings....double our numbers because now we are attracting people instead of shoving it down their throats........

Naw.

• blondie
    blondie

Confucious, your comment below reminded me of a WT study article.

Actually, the WTS has said in print that the elders are full-time shepherds. Maybe this brother missed it this meeting or slept through it.

7/1/92 WT p. 16 Elders, Judge With Righteousness

Full-Time

Shepherds

Elders do not judge full-time. They are full-time shepherds. They are healers, not punishers. (James 5:13-16) The basic idea behind the Greek word for overseer (e·pi´sko·pos) is that of protective care. The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament states: "Supplementing shepherd [at 1 Peter 2:25], the term [e·pi´sko·pos] suggests the pastoral work of watching over or guarding." Yes, their primary responsibility is watching over the sheep and guarding them, keeping them inside the flock.

Speaking to the elders of the Ephesus congregation, the apostle Paul put the emphasis where it belongs: "Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son." (Acts 20:28) Paul highlights shepherding, not punishing. Some elders might do well to ponder over the following question: ‘Could we save the considerable amount of time needed to investigate and handle judicial cases if we devoted more time and effort to shepherding?’

10 When a sheep becomes spiritually weak and falls by the wayside, what does he or she need—beating or healing, punishing or shepherding? (James 5:14, 15) Therefore, elders should regularly schedule time for the shepherding work. This may bring the happy result of less time spent in time-consuming judicial cases involving Christians who have been overtaken by sin. Certainly, the elders’ first concern should be to provide a source of relief and refreshment, thus promoting peace, tranquillity, and security among Jehovah’s people.—Isaiah 32:1, 2.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit