Is leaving the org. easier today than years ago?

by JH 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I think the internet and the media and the whole 'small world' attitude today makes it easier to find a reason to leave, BUT I think it is harder to actually leave today than it was when I was a kid. I remember my parents not making meetings for months at a time and no one noticed. And i remember going out in service and getting a door of someone who was inactive, and other than an invite to the meeting on Sunday we pretty much left them alone. Now it sounds(atleast from this forum) that people are hounded and forced into either DAing or getting DFd. When I was a kid there were lots of reasons for someone to fade away and become inactive, today it seems to be synonymous with apostasy, an automatic judgment no matter what your reason is.

Ravyn

• wednesday
    wednesday
    I think the internet and the media and the whole 'small world' attitude today makes it easier to find a reason to leave, BUT I think it is harder to actually leave today than it was when I was a kid. I remember my parents not making meetings for months at a time and no one noticed. And i remember going out in service and getting a door of someone who was inactive, and other than an invite to the meeting on Sunday we pretty much left them alone. Now it sounds(atleast from this forum) that people are hounded and forced into either DAing or getting DFd. When I was a kid there were lots of reasons for someone to fade away and become inactive, today it seems to be synonymous with apostasy, an automatic judgment no matter what your reason is.

Ravyn

that is an interesting thought. I agree, in years past, jws sort of just viewed inactive one as the Baptist call theirs "backsliding baptists" and no charge of apostasy was hurled at them without a really good reason. We had a elder leave very abruptly and the elders walked on egg shells around him and he never told them shite However, i believe acess to info is definitely easier, and private. It makes it so much easeir to research the WTS. weds .

• mizpah
    mizpah

I left the organization about 20 years ago. When I stepped down from serving as an elder, I began taking out the old literature that was still available in the KH library. It was instrumental in my decision to leave the organization. I heard thereafter that all this old literature had been removed from the KH libraries. Does anyone know if this is true?

• blondie
    blondie

No, mizpah. I left a KH that still had publications back to CTR's day. The problem is that when congregation's split, the original library stays with the first congregation. The second congregation has to form a new library (especially if in a new building) and the older publications that are no longer published have to be donated by an older JW who dies. There aren't many older JWs with publications back to that time.

Blondie

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

My God, my heart just hurts thinking of what you people went through to leave the 'truth". I never was a JW but have family in. <p> I hope some of those still in who are reading these posts can see the real light and know what a mind-control group the JWs really are. I cannot imagine the hiding, worrying, wondering, fearing, sneaking, PARANOIA that must take over your life when you begin to question this stuff. HIDING books from your spouse?! It does my heart good to know that you both were searching for the way out, but...it just boggles my mind that this Borg promotes deception from Square One! <p>The JW believer unwittingly handed over the precious GIFT of FREEDOM to a control group and his/her life as he/she knew it was not the same again. That GIFT was squelched, hidden away in some deep secret place that he/she found to stash it away. I am grateful that there are places like this for people like you and me. But mostly I am continually moved by those of you who have been there and survived to share your thoughts on this Board.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There is much more information out there to make an intelligent decision on whether the WTS is the truth or not.

In the past, people would leave, but never have a clue.

As time goes on, more and more people are leaving, and really shouldn't suprise anyone at all.

• betrayed
    betrayed

The internet is a real boon and a big support atleast you know you are not alone.

• Nordic
    Nordic

For me the internet, with all the info to read, was a releaf, to know you are not alone.

That there are others with the same problem as you.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I believe it was harder back years ago...they kicked me out 1987.. I thought I was the only one!!! I read Rays book. Was taken to Pa convention EX JWs. Was Free!!!Picketed Brooklyn Bethel for 4 years ( on the 18th every OCT,,,) One year they knew we were coming & Had bulldozers pulling up the pavement & making a racket/ It didnt turn us off.We still picketed it. We had our signs no need for words. Today it is so much easier to find out they are false ...With T.V -books- internet.& Friends.( which you all are to me)I have us all picketing on videos...Shows the BRO's & Sister's ?streaming out of Bethel with their nose in the air not daring to look at us encase the become demonized.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

I haven't left because I have family in, and right now they are more important to me than my personal persuasions.

But I have distanced myself emotionally and intellectually from all former beliefs that the Society is always right, or any instrument in Christian salvation. To me, the Society is like the Jewish Law was to the apostle Paul: Useful for a time, but no longer necessary, certainly not necessary for salvation. Unlike many, I refuse to replace Christ with the Organization.

I think the absolute squashing of freedom of conscience will be the Society's undoing. The strict regimentation is chafing to many, as well as unscriptural.

An organization that honors the truth would not distrust its own people. Nor would it fear the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit