The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

by GinnyTosken 13 Replies latest jw friends

• avengers
    avengers
    A few small changes that are strategically placed can cause a greater effect than one might suppose

I really enjoy posts like this. These ladies are the best.
    Thank you very much for sharing this insight with us.
    If I would have known about these e-mail lists back
    in the 90's then it would have spared me a lot of grief.
    I'm really curious as to how this all will progress.

They are a fun way for people to grow into really connecting with people - even when it is about the cat.

• acsot
    acsot

Ginny, I really enjoyed your post. This is the first time I've ever heard of the "tipping point". It's a fascinating subject - thank you!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I saw the book the Tipping Point at eh airport the other day. Now if I hadn't been so loaded down with stuff already I would have picked it up.

Ginny

What worries me is that without critical thinking skills, a person is likely to fall prey to some other sort of indoctrination, propaganda, or scam. How many XJWs have you seen who simply transfer their old JW fervor and mindset to a new cause or crusade?

You make an excellent point Ginny and I agree whole-heartedly. I too am concerned about those who have not learned some of these thinking skills. Sadlt many do get involved with other high control groups. They believe they need guidance externally and seek it out.

Hopefully this place can help some of them develop those skills - when they are ready for it. This board does have posters who do appreciate the deeper things - the real deeper ones - not the constant pablum served up by the WTS while they tell us it is meat.

Now about those "fluff" threads. Last night at the little apostofest we had in Montreal we discuss these so-called fluff threads. As we aware there is a lot of emotional expression and growth that occurs in some of these threads (thank you Minimus and JH and others for them)

But I think that although they may seem to be fluff they are more like simple realities. The true fluff threads like Show me your picture or How big is your cat are not really in the same category as these threads that help us examine who we were in the org and how much of that is still in us - well at least until we examine it. Many times we never even think of these simple realities until someone makes a post and we all go Ahhhhh yes I remember that nonsense.

Therefore I think we need a new category perhaps called simple realities for these threads that have the power to help us examine those simple things of life but can trigger feelings and help us let go of one more piece that the WTS used to control us

And personally I think this board is fabulous at those simple realities. It has its share of fluff and critical analysis. It has the flame wars (hopefully a very small part) It certainly has the scandal part down pat. And a lot of recovery threeads. But those simple reality threads are awesome and in great abundance. And I think they are a vital part of this forum.

Just me rambling again

Lee

• acsot
    acsot

LadyLee: You sure are one busy Lady! Finding time to post today!!

You are absolutely right about the simple realities. As we discussed last night, many of Minimus' and JH's questions (and other similar threads) have helped me realize that certain reactions/insecurities/worries are due to Watchtower programming, and not part of who I really am, and can therefore take the steps to deprogram or work my way through them.

I feel that I'm only beginning to figure out what critical thinking is and how to use it when dealing with life and its complexities as well as belief systems.

There seems to be so much to deal with, on a personal level, besides doing what we can to educate others about the WTS, it feels overwhelming at times. Then when we get to meet each other, read posts such as Ginny's, etc., it all becomes manageable. That's why this place is so important.

(Off topic - still don't see the cookbook link!!! )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit