The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

by GinnyTosken 13 Replies latest jw friends

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken
    The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a small but precisely targeted push cause a fashion trend, the popularity of a new product, or a drop in the crime rate.

If you're looking for fascinating and lively reading about social epidemics and how and why ideas spread, I recommend Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference.

Gladwell explains:

The second of the principles of epidemics--that little changes can somehow have big effects--is also a fairly radical notion. We are, as humans, heavily socialized to make a kind of rough approximation between cause and effect. . . . We are trained to think that what goes into any transaction or relationship or system must be directly related, in intensity and dimension, to what comes out. Consider, for example, the following puzzle. I give you a large piece of paper, and I ask you to fold it over once, and then take that folded paper and fold it over again, and then again, and again, until you have refolded the original paper 50 times. How tall do you think the final stack is going to be? In answer to that question, most people will fold the sheet in their mind's eye, and guess that the pile would be as thick as a phone book or, if they're really courageous, they'll say that it would be as tall as a refrigerator. But the real answer is that the height of the stack would approximate the distance to the sun. . . . Epidemics are another example of geometric progression: when a virus spreads through a population, it doubles and doubles again, until it has (figuratively) grown from a single sheet of paper all the way to the sun in fifty steps. As human beings we have a hard time with this kind of progression, because the end result--the effect--seems far out of proportion to the cause. To appreciate the power of epidemics, we have to abandon this expectation about proportionality. We need to prepare ourselves for the possibility that sometimes big changes follow from small events, and that sometimes these changes happen very quickly.

Gladwell goes on to explain the three main factors in epidemics, be they viral or social: the law of the few, the stickiness factor, and the power of context. In the section about context, a chapter is devoted to "The Magic Number One Hundred and Fifty." I found it fascinating because it seems to help explain what happens in online groups and discussion boards.

In my early days as an XJW online, I joined an email list. There were about 12 of us to start. Several who post here on JW.com were on this email list back in 1995. In the beginning, things were quite cozy. Even among just 12, there were diverse personalities, but we all knew each other well and made allowances for each other's oddities and extremes.

We invited other people to join us, and within a few months there were 60 of us. The discussion was lively and interesting, and the members were caring and tolerant.

Before any of us quite knew what had happened, the list exploded to nearly 200 members. Discussion was often dominated by scathing arguments and squabbles. Intimate details of romantic triangles and polygons were openly aired in National Enquirer and Peyton Place style. Many of the original members mourned the loss of our cozy coffee-shop character atmosphere and abandoned the list.

Simon's place, too, was quite cozy before the influx of H2O refugees in 2001. What happens? Perhaps the magic number one hundred fifty helps explain the phenomenon. Gladwell writes:

Humans socialize in the largest groups of all primates because we are the only animals with brains large enough to handle the complexities of that social arrangement. Dunbar has actually developed an equation, which works for most primates, in which he plugs in what he calls the neocortex ratio of a particular species--the size of the neocortex relative to the size of the brain--and the equation spits out the expected maximum group size of the animal. If you plug in the neocortex ratio for Homo sapiens, you get a group estimate of 147.8--or roughly 150. "The figure of 150 seems to represent the maximum number of individuals with whom we can have a genuinely social relationship, the kind of relationship that goes with knowing who they are and how they relate to us. Putting it another way, it's the number of people you would not feel embarrassed about joining uninvited for a drink if you happened to bump into them in a bar."

(I hope Englishman didn't skew their pub figures.)

Dunbar has combed through the anthropological literature and found that the number 150 pops up again and again. For example, he looks at 21 different hunter-gatherer societies for which we have solid historical evidence, from the Walbiri of Australia to the Tauade of New Guinea to the Ammassalik of Greenland to the Ona of Tierra del Fuego and found that the average number of people in their villages was 148.4. The same pattern holds true for military organization. "Over the years military planners have arrived at a rule of thumb which dictates that functional fighting units cannot be substantially larger than 200 men," Dunbar writes. "This, I suspect, is not simply a matter of how the generals in the rear exercise control and coordination, because companies have remained obdurately stuck at this size despite all the advances in communications technology since the first world war. Rather, it is as though the planners have discovered, by trial and error over the centuries, that it is hard to get more than this number of men sufficiently familiar with each other so that they can work together as a functional unit." It is still possible, of course, to run an army with larger groups. But at a bigger size you have to impose complicated hierarchies and rules and regulations and formal measures to try to command loyalty and cohesion. But below 150, Dunbar argues, it is possible to achieve these same goals informally: "At this size, orders can be implemented and unruly behavior controlled on the basis of personal loyalties and direct man-to-man contacts. With larger groups, this becomes impossible."

Granted, I don't feel that Simon is trying to command loyalty, but I did see similarities in the problems described. This makes me curious. How many active posters were there during the coffee shop phase? At what number did more formal measures become necessary to control unruly behavior? Does this also explain splinter groups from email lists and discussion boards?

Gladwell continues:

Then there is the example of the religious group known as the Hutterites, who for hundreds of years have lived in self-sufficient agricultural colonies in Europe and, since the early twentieth century, in North America. The Hutterites (who came out of the same tradition as the Amish and the Mennonites) have a strict policy that every time a colony approaches 150, they split it in two and start a new one. "Keeping things under 150 just seems to be the best and most efficient way to manage a group of people," Bill Gross, one of the leaders of a Hutterite colony outside Spokane told me. "When things get larger than that, people become strangers to one another." . . . At 150, the Hutterites believe, something happens--something indefinable but very real--that somehow changes the nature of community overnight. "In smaller groups people are a lot closer. They're knit together, which is very important if you want to be effective and successful at community life," Gross said. "If you get too large, you don't have enough work in common. You don't have enough things in common, and then you start to become strangers and that close-knit fellowship starts to get lost." Gross spoke from experience. He had been in Hutterite colonies that had come near to that magic number and seen firsthard how things had changed. "What happens when you get that big is that the group starts, just on its own, to form a sort of clan." He made a gesture with his hands, as if to demonstrate division. "You get two or three groups within the larger group. That is something you really try to prevent, and when it happens it is a good time to branch out."

I tried to remember the average size of the JW congregations with which I was involved. If memory serves, attendance usually ranged between 60 and 125.

If this is true, I suppose it means that if Simon wishes to keep his sanity, he should corral us into separate pubs of less than 150 each. Maybe on weekends he could allow us to go bar-hopping.

Ginny

• Undecided
    Undecided
    Consider, for example, the following puzzle. I give you a large piece of paper, and I ask you to fold it over once, and then take that folded paper and fold it over again, and then again, and again, until you have refolded the original paper 50 times. How tall do you think the final stack is going to be?

It's impossible to fold it more than about six times.

Ken P.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Excellent research. This proves what we've all suspected for a long time, that the reason the WTS insists on congos splitting when they reach a certain number of publishers is all about control.

Many JWs like being part of a big congregation. If there are 180 publishers, attendance at meetings will exceed 130 or 140 people. It means if you show up for field service, an activity many JWs secretly loathe, at least there's a posse present... it's easier to endure if 30 or 40 others show up, too. At a night meeting, the hall isn't half empty. These kinds of numbers are encouraging because no one likes to feel they're "in it alone" and lots of people in seats implies that one is part of a growing concern, that this is the place to be. The "friends" instinctively know that the real reason the congo exists is for social activity. The Society is at odds with this view; one CO told our body of elders "the congregation exists to further the preaching work. This is not a social club."

But any congregation that hits a high water mark of 160 publishers immediately feels pressure from the CO to start planning a split. Some bodies of elders, recognizing their constituents are happier in a crowd, resist the pressure. Others are all too happy to oblige because it means more important positions are created and more guys get to be presiding overseer, Watchtower conductor, and so forth. There are only five "executive" positions per congregation, so a split automatically doubles an elder's chances of getting one of those coveted posts. Watch any congregation go through a split into two, and you'll see the leading and loudest proponents are those elders who covet a position all their own. They will be fully supported by other elders who understand the control issue behind holding down the number of people in a single congo. Of course, their public stance is that they are merely supporting the society's direction and that "mother" knows best. Even reluctant elders will often go along because a split creates the (artificial) appearance of growth.

This is also the rationale behind the recent decision to increase the number of book study groups in every congregation to be sure no group numbers more than 15. Elders were told in their exclusive meeting with the CO and DO that this change would make it easier for overseers to keep a close eye on the sheep and quickly head them off if they began to stray. See, it's all about control.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ginny Welcome back

Not too long ago I was trying to explain this to someone

The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a small but precisely targeted push cause a fashion trend, the popularity of a new product, or a drop in the crime rate.

The second of the principles of epidemics--that little changes can somehow have big effects--is also a fairly radical notion. We are, as humans, heavily socialized to make a kind of rough approximation between cause and effect. . . . We are trained to think that what goes into any transaction or relationship or system must be directly related, in intensity and dimension, to what comes out.

There are some people who think the way to "bring the WT down" is some sort organized effort against them. Gladwell theory seems to support the idea that the sum of many small changes add to more than their the individual parts - the grass roots concept. A few small changes that are strategically placed can cause a greater effect than one might suppose. One would have to wonder therefore at what point would the one by one actions reach the critical point to truly have an effect on the WTS - negatively that is. We know they are already scrambling to minimize the damage created so far.

Your second point regarding the magic number of 150 is interesting personally. I was in cong that were larger than the 150. Some were closer to 200 before they had enough elders to make the split. I suspect here might be two issues here

1. the number of people in a group that best can be easily controlled
    2. the number of people who can best form social relationships with each other.

I think that as the number increases the first group needs to be divided by those in control. But in the second group I suspect people automatically begin to subdivide on their own. And I think these subdivisions would be much smaller than 150 - perhaps even 10 times smaller - closer to 10 - 15 people. These subgroups often have great power to disrupt the larger group. Therefore the larger group would have to be kept at an optimal number to reduce the amount of discord that any one subgroup might bring into the larger group. - Could explain why the borg does not allow certain activities that are not "spiritual" They wouldn't want people to study on their own. Or have get-togethers just to relax and enjoy themselves. Would also explain why the controls on social gatherings. People might talk - form groups, talk even more and dissent spread from the inside

This might not be too well thought out on my part - just some ramblings from what you posted so if anyone wants to add their thoughts to it feel free.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Lady Lee wrote:

One would have to wonder therefore at what point would the one by one actions reach the critical point to truly have an effect on the WTS - negatively that is. We know they are already scrambling to minimize the damage created so far.

I've been involved with XJWs online since 1995, and last summer a few of us who were on the old email list got together here at my house. Among other things, one person commented that XJW discussion boards these days seem more for socializing than to discuss meaty topics. One of the visitors, Gedanken, offered an insight. Perhaps this is a very good sign, he said. Perhaps this means that information is now so readily available that the burning questions of our early days on the internet are now taken for granted as common knowledge. There is little need to converse about doctrinal or historical issues; this information is widely known.

The Watchtower Society is a corporation, a group of men empowered to act legally as an individual. I try to treat the Society as I would a troubled individual. I do not want to topple the Tower, nor even to affect it negatively. I do want the Society to accept the consequences of its own behavior. As more and more people refuse to enable the Society's shoddy behavior, I hope that it will change in a positive way. If the Society is not willing or able to change, I hope that it will be restrained to keep it from harming itself and others.

In 1994 I never imagined I would meet another XJW. In 1995 I met 12. If I try the geometric progression on the 12 of us who met by email in 1995, multiplying by two, how long will it take to equal the number of current JWs?:

12 x 2 = 24 24 x 2 = 48 48 x 2 = 96 96 x 2 = 192 192 x 2 = 384

384 x 2 = 768 768 x 2 = 1,536 1536 x 2 = 3,072

3072 x 2 = 6,144 6144 x 2 = 12,288 12288 x 2 = 24,576

24,576 x 2 = 49,152 49,152 x 2 = 98,304 98,304 = 196,608

196,608 x 2 = 393,216 393,216 x 2 = 786,432

786,432 x 2 = 1,572,864

1,572,684 x 2 = 3,145,728

3,145,728 x 2 = 6,291,456

That took only 19 times--not nearly so many as getting to the sun.

Ginny

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ginny, your experience with online exJWs far outstrips mine. I'm vigorously expanding my own horizons, and the idea of a "limiting point" (150 persons?) has crossed my mind, but only peripherally. So it goes in a "growth" phase

Would you say that, right now, your "active" list includes only 100-200 people? (nomb, of course)

Craig (of the "sincerely curious" class)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ginny

I agree that the days where the majority of posts were about exposing the falsehood and doctrines are pretty much gone. It still happens but not as frequently. I think the newer generations of JWs just don't have that strong a background (since the light keeps changing how could they?).

And to be honest I think not so many care about the doctrine.

ex-JW boards such as this seem to be more focused on the next step of recovery - the pain and rediscovery of who we are outside of the organization.

The other day I read a post where someone was missing the kind of insight to the org that YOU and others like Farkel and AlanF provided. It is still needed but not as much.

As the boards get larger the intellectual discussions become more difficult due to the larger number of differing opinions - all have their place but with the lack of real communication skills and critical analysis tools that most newly lefts have, it makes it almost impossible to have one of those discussions without a flame war breaking out.

I think too the larger the group the more people hide in the fluff threads. This too is not a bad thing. Exposing too much can be dangerous for some. Caution is a wise course especially if you still incognito here. The fluff threads do provide an important service to the posters though. We get to practice talking about real life. We have an opportunity to get real about all the things we needed to know about life and were never allowed to discuss. They are a fun way for people to grow into really connecting with people - even when it is about the cat.

And in the middle are those who are in pain from the betrayal, shunning with all its losses and abuse from this organization. A lot of people share that pain. And they support one another. They rejoice in their freedom. Let's not forget too the tremendous amount of discussion around doctrinal standpoints regarding abuse and women's issues. The focus may change but over the last six months the number of discussions about the "two-witness rule" and the flock book have been phenomenal and they are ongoing

These are all important facets of the board. I suspect that we will hit another time period when the doctrinal discussions re-emerge. But the board has grown just as the recovery movement has grown. And it will spiral around to the same old themes because as new ones join and get to a certain point they too will need a weightier examination of their beliefs.

Really nice to see you posting again

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

This is a lot to think about and very interesting. Great posts!

-LisaBobeesa

• wasasister
    wasasister

Ginny:

It is truly good to see you back here. Your insights, and your flawless research, have been missed.

Even when you think you know someone well, they can surprise you with a new layer.

You ROCK!

Wasa/rockin along

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Onacruse,

Would you say that, right now, your "active" list includes only 100-200 people? (nomb, of course)

I've always preferred a few intimate friends to a large group of casual acquaintances, so I'd guess so. I'd have to sit down and make a list to be sure.

I do know that I've sometimes felt drained by the pace and population here at Simon's. Something that helped me cope was to imagine the board as a big city. The people whose posts I consistently enjoyed were part of my "neighborhood." And sometimes I just need to escape to the quiet and solitude of the country.

Lady Lee,

And to be honest I think not so many care about the doctrine.

I think you're right. I probably learned more about JW doctrine as an XJW than as a JW. I knew what we were supposed to believe and assumed there were rock-solid reasons for these beliefs, but I didn't research them much as a JW.

As the boards get larger the intellectual discussions become more difficult due to the larger number of differing opinions - all have their place but with the lack of real communication skills and critical analysis tools that most newly lefts have, it makes it almost impossible to have one of those discussions without a flame war breaking out.

What worries me is that without critical thinking skills, a person is likely to fall prey to some other sort of indoctrination, propaganda, or scam. How many XJWs have you seen who simply transfer their old JW fervor and mindset to a new cause or crusade?

The fluff threads do provide an important service to the posters though. We get to practice talking about real life. We have an opportunity to get real about all the things we needed to know about life and were never allowed to discuss. They are a fun way for people to grow into really connecting with people - even when it is about the cat.

Friendship and laughter are very important, and I certainly don't underestimate "fluff." Humor and care have pulled me through difficult times more often than serious research.

I'm amazed sometimes at the emotions that surface during some of these casual discussions. For example, I'd forgotten about the brown paper over the mirrors at assemblies until I looked at that thread. It seems laughable now that we could have been such sheep, not daring to remove the paper, yet among us were a few sisters who understood which rules could be bent and how to do it.

These are all important facets of the board. I suspect that we will hit another time period when the doctrinal discussions re-emerge. But the board has grown just as the recovery movement has grown. And it will spiral around to the same old themes because as new ones join and get to a certain point they too will need a weightier examination of their beliefs.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next ten years. The doctrinal discussions can be found in online essays or in books, so perhaps Gedanken is right, and discussion boards are doing exactly what they should be doing--bringing people together for support and friendship and allowing them to practice the hurly-burly arts of developing and expressing differing opinions.

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit