Are the British Smelly?

by refiners fire 23 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hmmm. Well I dont recall bathing every day as a kid in England, and I dont recall there being showers. Maybe Im wrong on that. Neither do I recall being smelly either though.

"I always thought that the "smelly poms" thing came from the days of the £10 emigration to Australia - "

There was nothing funny about being a young pommy immigrant into Australia in the 60s. One arrived at the "camp" to find one wasnt particularly welcome. The welcome committee consisted of people murmuring "Piss off back where you came from you pommy bastard". The same at school. One had to eat strange foods also. School lunches were made at the concentration camp "canteen" for all the kids. Lunch choices included "Peanut butter" and "vegemite" , a most vile black paste tasting of salt. An innocent and well brought up pommy lad yearned for ham and tomato sandwiches, as in the good old days of mother England.

Oddly enough, the racial slurs against poms are allowed to continue unabated in this country. You see them on television regularly "whingeing pom this ....whingeing pom that". Highly irritating I must admit.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Being of French heritage I won't comment on the odor aspect of this tread but as for the Austin Powers teeth part...I believe the strong tea eats at the enamel. I had a friend whose Mum came from England and used to serve us tea and, Holy Draino! that stuff would melt the porceline off the china! Maverick

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

"I always thought that the "smelly poms" thing came from the days of the £10 emigration to Australia - "
    I thought the phrase was from not washing after masterbating

• Debz
    Debz
    Well I dont recall bathing every day as a kid in England, and I dont recall there being showers.

.....I remember baths BEFORE or AFTER my sisters depending who was the dirtiest at that time....but only once a week...in between that it was washes daily.....hair only once a week with the bath!..

When I was in UK 2001 my family had graduated to daily baths..but a relunctance to have showers...even though they had them for a show piece..I guess olf habits die hard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit