Moral absolutes

by Aztec 163 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

peacefulpete made some very relevant points in his last post.

He said:

I just want to separate my comments from those of reborn2002. While contextural ethics may be justification for a wrong to be commited it does not negate the wrong or make it helpful or harmless. The end does not justify the means.

No, a girl was raped unwillingly, and that does not make it morally right. But morally absolute that it is not acceptable under any circumstances? No.

Would you kill 100 people if it meant saving a 1,000,000? This is one of the more meatier discussions I have seen on this board in a while. I am thankful for it. I was growing tired of the fluff.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I would just like to throw out the idea again that just because an action may never be found to be a moral "good", does not mean that there are moral absolutes.

Expatbrit

• crownboy
    crownboy
    I would just like to throw out the idea again that just because an action may never be found to be a moral "good", does not mean that there are moral absolutes.

My thought exactly. Reborn's example brings this point out quite saliently.

Whether you think "God" made our morals, or we made them ourselves, it would still be the subjective opinion (though obviously not necessarily unwise) of some person/ being, and not absolute by nature (I read that aforementioned Socrates dialogue once. It's a classic). The only things that are absolute live in clearly pre-constructed worlds (e.g: numbers). Even physical laws aren't necessarily absolute, as they could eventually change, but obviously there is a low probability of that happening.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Okay I think maybe for the sake of this discussion we should define "morals". In my dictionary, I come up with

a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior : ETHICAL <moral judgments> b : expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior <a moral poem> c : conforming to a standard of right behavior d : sanctioned by or operative on one's conscience or ethical judgment <a moral obligation> e : capable of right and wrong action <a moral agent>
    2 : probable though not proved : VIRTUAL <a moral certainty>

Synonyms for moral are MORAL, ETHICAL, VIRTUOUS, RIGHTEOUS, NOBLE

I recognize that by its very definition morality is very subjective. I also doubt we can come to a final conclusion ("probable though not proved") due to the very subjectivity of the concept. But just to create a framework for discussion, I think "principles of right and wrong in behavior", (such as ethical behavior) most closely fits this thread.

Now then, my feeling is that there are two events for which I can see no moral, ethical, virtuous or noble reason to engage in sex with children and/or unwanted sexual contact. Is that a moral absolute? By that, for this discussion, would either act be immoral, unethical or "wrong" in ALL cases?

Now I still think Reborn's example is a good one, it's horrible and it is convulted, but it has sadly happened before and I'm sad to say might easily happen again. But let me also point out the reaction to your example. Czar said he'd fight, teejay was repulsed. I think that, in a microcosm would be the reaction of society at large. So to me, there is not in our society, a moral or immoral response. People would make a choice, though both are ugly, but I submit neither option is a question of morality. The fact that in our society, or any other in today's world, people's opinions would vary seems to me to indicate most people would not look at this situation and think of an ethical or virtuous response. It sounds to me like a survival response.

Consider the example of taking a life whilst defending yourself. If someone, or a society, believe it was immoral to take life for whatever reason, then by that standard it would be immoral. In this country it is not considered wrong or immoral. Good lord in Texas you can kill someone who has broken into your house. But either way, it a judgment based on the morality of the situation, whether it be the individual's sense of morality or society's in general. In your example Reborn, the parents are not presented with a choice of moral or immoral. The entire scenario, by our Judeo-Christian ethics, laws and beliefs is wrong and it is only the question of which wrong the parents will choose. In the case of taking a life whilst defending yourself, there is a question of moral or immoral. If I believe taking of a life is always wrong, no matter what, or I am a pacifist, then if I took the attacker's life I would be commiting an immoral act (by my own set of beliefs). If I allowed the attacker to kill me, I would have preserved my beliefs and by my own standards stayed moral. But I'd also be dead, which would be a downside.

I still don't see where the rape of the child is somehow "okay" in your situation. Yes it preserves the child's life, and that is very important, but the very controversial nature of the event abrogates the possible virtue, i.e. there is no clear "right" or "wrong" answer here. There is survival and there is death.

Or am I wrong?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    but Chris I have a question. Without taking this thread off in another direction, do you consider the prohibition against murder a moral absolute? If not, why not?

Well I think there is a difference between murder (which indicates premediation) and killing. You can kill someone through accident, through defending yourself, through war and probably other ways I can't think of. But really murder has the connotation of setting out with the intent, plan and execution of an individual or group of people. Is it fair to make a distinction between the two?

If so, the I believe murder is always wrong, immoral, unvirtuous, and/or unethical. Although as I'm typing this, I'm wondering out loud if murdering, say a concentration camp guard in order to escape is immoral. Hhmmm, that opens the possibility of premediatively murdering someone could have a virtuous aspect to it. Interesting.

As far as the simple taking of another's life, then yes I can think of several instances where it could be considered (and I acknowledge that morality is subjective) moral. Such as defending yourself. I also think there have been "just" wars, although I can only think of two in American history, still there was an agreed upon morality then, and now.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

It seems to me that the point of reborn's illustration is to answer not "whether or not rape is a moral absolute?", but rather "whether or not you-must-fight rape is a moral absolute?".

Only the WT society can answer that one, and they have. Several times. The answer is that it depends on what year it is, sillies.

edited to make the questions make a modicum of sense

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The end does not justify the means.

I think you put that better than I did to Reborn. And I'm supposed to have a way with words.

I'm sorry our conversation boiled down to such a emotionally volatile subject like child abuse. Actually I think you and I are close to saying the same thing, I think perhaps we're saying it in different ways.

I think it is possible that in any situation, in any culture known in human history, there is no moral (subjective to that culture or what is generally accepted to be "right" and "wrong" at the time) reason to engage in two acts. Now would that be considered, at least in this discussion, to be a moral absolute?

Just asking because I'm a bit dense sometimes and I might be talking out of the side of my head and not know it!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Tex...Your conundrum is the result of the difficulty of labeling specific acts of behavior as all right or all wrong. A lot of this confusion is semantics but if we always ask WHY an action or inaction is helpful or harmless or hurtful,and this includes awareness of the sensitivities of others, we will always see clearer the course to take. Reborn's comment while provocative is not about right and wrong as you pointed out. His was a choice between wrongs. While the choice may have been the right one(debatable) the action forced upon the child continued to be wrong. Therfore the scenario does not illustrate a moral wrong becoming a moral right.

War similarly is harmful and therefore morally wrong but yet at times justifiable due to choices needing to be made. Harming can never be made right, it can only be made appropriate. Morally right behavior does not haunt us in our dreams.

As I said earlier, alot of this is semantics. If we always as "WHY do I feel this is wrong? What harm is coming from this?" before condemning another's actions as immoral we will likely find ourselves doing a lot less condemning.

• teejay
    teejay

>>>> I am curious though to know how you feel it does not fit into the discussion. -- Reborn2002 Because, Jason, your scenario doesn't address the issue as to whether or not rape is morally wrong. While in some hypothetical situations it may be expedient or the lesser of two evils, it still doesn't make it right.

• donkey
    donkey

(((((BigTex))))) - that was the first time I have read part of your story. I am so sorry for what you endured. I truly respect and admire you for what you are and who you are today. It takes courage to say what you said...courage I don't have.

I agree with you and with Reborn. I think there are moral abolsutes in a given situation... Reborns example is a good analogy of where a moral absolute is situational.

Jack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit