What Is God's Real Name?

by Latin assassin from Manhattan 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

Why do JWs translate God's supposed name (Jehovah) into different languages as shown by their literature? If your name is Mike, would you translate it to Swahili, Korean or Russian? American Presidents never translate their names and they're the most powerful men on the planet. Then why do JWs translate God's name?

Is it possible that God's name is in fact, a Hebrew name and that JWs don't want to use this name because it will not bring in converts?

Why do they even translate the name of Jesus into different languages?

I was a JW for 20+ years and could never figure this out.

Of course, the WT and Awake won't talke this issue because they're too busy writing b.s. articles about kids using cell phones.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

God's real name is..........Fred. Fred Hall.

ash

• Nickey
    Nickey

Good luck.

You'll most likely get sarcastic replies than a straight answer. If it bothers you, try using the search feature. I find it really helpful.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    You'll most likely get sarcastic replies than a straight answer.

True 'dat.

ash

• Brummie
    Brummie

Good thoughts Latin_Assassin_From_Manhattan

I used to wonder why they used to use Isaiah 43 "You are my Witnesses is the utterance of Jah" when the context says the Jehovahs Witnesses were the blind and disobedient Jews. According to the context their blindness and disobedience was a witness to Jehovah not their faithfulness. Who would want to apply that Scripture to themselves?

I'm kinda glad you are from Manhattan and not some long 25 letter country.

Brummie

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

HAHA.

What is God's name? It depends on what religion or culture you ask.

Jehovah? Yahweh? Allah? Buddha? Jesus? Elohim? Krishna? Ra? Harvey the 6 foot tall invisible rabbit?

Whatever you convince yourself God's name is.. go along with that if it makes you feel better.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

jesus is just another translation of a translation, so is jehovah. why people get hung up about it i'll never know.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Here is a page that got to the heart of the jewish god's name:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34764/2.ashx

Excerpt:

Encyclopaedia Judaica Vol. 7, p. 680

The true pronunciation of the name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced Yahweh. This is confirmed, at least for the vowels of the first syllable of the name, by the shorter form Yah, which is sometimes used in poetry (e.g., Ex. 15:2) and the yahu or yah that serves as the final syllable in very many Hebrew names,

SS

• Irenaeus
    Irenaeus

First, the statement that we do not translate the names of leaders is wrong. Over the centuries the names of kings and others have been put in the forms used for those names in whatever particular language was being used. For example, a king named Carlos I in Spanish has often been called Charles I in English and Karl I in German. What is done with the names of American presidents is therefore neither here nor there. Anyway, how can the questioner be so sure that the English forms of their names are retained in all other languages?

Second, there are good reasons for changing name forms in various languages. Often, people using other languages cannot pronounce names as they are in the original languages in which they have been given. Frequently, there are sounds that are common in one language that do not exist in other languages. Many languages do not have the two TH sounds that exist in English, for example, and English speakers often have a heck of a time pronouncing a French U, a German umlauted U or a Spanish RR.

Third, I do think Greg Stafford has made a good case to show that in fact the form Yahweh was not the original pronunciation of the divine name, and since we cannot tell exactly how it was pronounced, various forms are okay. Because the name does have significance, probably meaning that God is active in relation to humans, for scholars, whether Christians or Jews, the name is important. Thus, while Watchtower arguments often lack rationallity, in this case I think they are right.

It is quite true that the name Jesus is not an accurate transliteration. Neither is the name James, which is Jacob in Hebrew and Greek but appears in modern languages in many forms. The case of the name Jesus is interesting. It simply couldn't have been transliterated from Aramaic or Hebrew into Greek. Why? Because Greek did not and does not have a letter H except as what is called a rough brething sign that is placed over a vowel or R at the beginning of a word. So when the Greeks had a name in a foreign language that they wanted to put in Greek, they substituted the letter S for the H in the original unless the H was the first letter in the name.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

From my research and studying, I have come to the conclusion that the Name Yahweh is definitely more accurate than "Jehovah".

Also, since I believe that Jesus is God, my answer to your question, is that God's Name is JESUS and also YAHWEH.

Other spellings of the Name Jesus are:

"Yeshua", "Yahshua", "Joshua", "Jehoshua", and "Iesous".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit