France: 42% vote for facist and communist Parties!

by Spartacus 13 Replies latest social current

• Dansk
    Dansk

Look on the bright side. Neither the communists or the fascists will tolerate Watchtower.

Dansk

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

This reminded me of when Vladimir Zhirinovsky (sp?) was running for President in Russia. He advocated reclaiming all the republics that had broken away from Russia and Alaska. And he got something like 25% of the vote running on this ultranationalist platform. This was during the 1990's in Russia. Many outsiders considered him as much a buffoon for Russia as Ross Perot was seen as such in the US. But it was obvious there was a lot of dissatisfaction with free-market reforms and moving toward democracy which had caused a lot of disruption in the former Soviet Union.

A lot of times these groups do best in times of instability. Traditional democracies are seen as having failed and would-be despots on both the Left and Right say a strong central government, quickly able to respond without the time waste or parlimentary debate, is the only solution.

Apparently many agree or sympathize.

• outnfree
    outnfree

LOL @ Dansk - Too True!!

Realist -- the US is not a democracy. It is a republic that espouses representative democracy. There is a difference.

LOL @ Simon, too. How about the losing candidate winning the popular vote and the winning candidate winning the electoral vote and a peaceful transfer of power nonetheless? Americans ARE civilized!

I agree that the nearly 17% for facscist LePen and his ilk is scary. Neo-Nazis and our various "state militia" parties are pretty scary here in the US, too. Like it or not, they have no real say in government policy however, due to our [mostly] two-party system. Thank god! France bears watching.

outnfree

• Realist
    Realist

outnfree,

Realist -- the US is not a democracy.

i know!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit