Love-Trademark of the christians?

by vesse 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• vesse
    vesse

All of you who have a little bit more than usual objective view of the religions.What have you noticed while observing the way how the parishioners of different churchers are showing love toward their fellowbelievers .Is there any difference compared to JT's.I know that WTS is boasting that the true and genuine love exists only among themselves.I don' t know exactly what a hell this means?One argument i have been told is that the door-to door preaching is one evidence of christian love ( far - fethed , i think )

What about at the congregational level?

Any feedback?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just visit the next apostfest / BBQ / ex-jw meetup and you'll see more love than at any kingdoom hall. I promise you that. Even the minor disagreements that appear on this website simply don't exist at the get togethers we have, I think that probably goes for the US also.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i wish theyd have one of those around here

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

I can say in honesty that the JWs haven't cornered the market on "Christian love." It may seem like that to people who haven't been visiting the right churches or something, but it isn't true. Like just this past Sunday, I paid a visit to my local United Church of Christ -- the first Christian church I've set foot in since leaving the Witnesses three years ago. Tiny congregation (lots of people gone since it's summer), but everyone there made me feel like family. And while they said they hoped I'd come back, no one pressured me to join or stay.

~Rochelle. :)

• Carmel
    Carmel

The JWs have no conception of what unity and fellowship is really like. Without discussing my faith, I can honestly say it relishes unity with diversity, something the JUUs only give lip service to! In case Uncle Bruce is lurkin, I'm not talkin sex!

caveman

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Well what do you define as love? Some would present the idea that love manifests itself in deeds and actions wrapped in principle. If a witness does spend spare time in the activity of trying to teach and disseminate his or her beliefs and do so because they are motivated by a genuine caring for others as opposed to duty, that is love in my opinion.

If you lead a life of honesty, kindness and look out after the interests of others first, that is love I think. So I would say that many self labeled christians do carry the identifying mark of displaying love, but many, many of any particular religion practise a self interested, self righteous, disengenuious way of life that does not reflect the kind of love that Jesus referred to.

I have found that most witnesses are simple genuine people that do care for other people. They may be wrapped up into an organization that has a variety of deficiencies and faults, but most people (common publishers) that I have met are good and loving individuals.

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

I'm with Tinkerbell, I wish they would have one here in Cali

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Welcome to the forum Jornavrick. You wrote.

I have found that most witnesses are simple genuine people that do care for other people. They may be wrapped up into an organization that has a variety of deficiencies and faults, but most people (common publishers) that I have met are good and loving individuals.

At the time of my exiting, I felt somewhat that way.

But now having been on the other side of the fence, and having expereinced first hand, the way witnesses act towards their own, once they have been given the command to expul the undesirables from their midst, I can say, their ability to love, is superceded by a blind allegiance to an organization, that has no love for them.

Edited to Add: Welcome to Vesse who authored this thread.

Man....... newbies coming out of the woodwork. Must be those District Conventions ! LOL!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I'd like to think that no particular group has carte blanche when it comes to: love

I have met up with non-christains, and they have shown love, if not moreso than I have seen with the most devout christains. And yes, there are christains who are loving.

People are either in capacity of it in the first place, or they are not. Doesn't necessitate christain labelling or background.

The Beatles had it right though: All You Need Is Love

• Piph
    Piph

I'm really enjoying everyone's thoughts.

Since I'm not really close to people who aren't JW's (yet), I'll just give examples of what I've seen in the JW congregation...

On one hand, when my dad had a nervous breakdown a few years ago, I was amazed at the love and support we as a family received from the congregation. Public prayers were said on our behalf mentioning us by name, people brought meals over, people sent countless cards and flowers, and people spent time talking to my mother and I making sure we felt OK and finding out whether we needed someone to talk to. Some even sent us money. I truly felt Jehovah's love through them and knew they were reflecting his wonderful qualities at that time, and we received exactly what we needed.

At another time, my mom was undergoing a minor operation in the hospital. I was out in the ministry with some other pioneers, and I wanted our cargroup to drop in the hospital and go see her. One of the sisters in the group raised a fuss, stating that she didn't want to go visit her (even though she was one of her best friends) because she needed to get her time in. I was deeply upset...started crying in front of everyone...it was really embarrassing, but she only conceeded on going in to visit if her husband checked to see if there were anyone about to have a serious operation at the information desk (checking at the information desk...not operating at the information desk...LOL) he might talk to and encourage with a Bible thought. Just so she could keep her time going. I was stunned by the callousness of that.

So, I agree with others that anyone of any religion can display godlike love and compassion...just like anyone can act selfishly. In tragedy or emergency, oftentimes a person will shine with reflection of Jehovah's qualities...in other times, they may be too preoccupied with their own inner tragedies and emergencies to be of much help at all. Which just proves to me how important it is for people to take care of their own needs first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit